Cardiff Canton, The second coming

steve fay

post-5983-0-66734800-1365619360_thumb.jpg

If our little ixion 0.6.0 is going to be a regular on Canton then she needs to see the Wizard, I've also modified her slightly to Better match the picture,

I've trimmed the hand rails back & refitted the lamp bracket and I've trimmed off the moulded smoke box door dart and replaced it with a spare I had from a OO loco.

post-5983-0-98704600-1365619631_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Guest Isambarduk

"I've also modified her slightly to Better match the picture"

Great, OK so far, but keep going ....

apart from the outside cylinders, there's those super marine bigends on the rods ... 

I expect you'll have seen this done before but if not, see here

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69095-idea-conversion-of-ixion-hudswell-clarke/#entry1001446

over to you   :yes:

David

David

I've been following your thread with interest, The loco is not totally mine if it was (it could be soon). I Might think about doing a bit more to it.

I thought I would just alter it a bit so it's not a run of the mill off the shelf loco & I'm not following the exact prototype. I know canton did receive industrial locos for maintenance and it allows me to have something shuffling back and for a bit different to big green Swindon Locos.

I Think the weathering job will transform it Fred always does a stand out job.

All the best

Steve

Edited by steve fay

Compton Castle has been down to the coaling stage for a tender full of good welsh steam coal.

She will head the Capitols United 3.55PM off Paddington to Swansea taking over form one of Cantons Kings at Cardiffs general station. She will hand over to a Carmarthen County at Swansea making it the 3rd engine change.

post-5983-0-48007400-1365677715_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 9

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

If our little ixion 0.6.0 is going to be a regular on Canton then she needs to see the Wizard, I've also modified her slightly to Better match the picture,

I've trimmed the hand rails back & refitted the lamp bracket and I've trimmed off the moulded smoke box door dart and replaced it with a spare I had from a OO loco.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

David

I've been following your thread with interest, The loco is not totally mine if it was (it could be soon). I Might think about doing a bit more to it.

I thought I would just alter it a bit so it's not a run of the mill off the shelf loco & I'm not following the exact prototype. I know canton did receive industrial locos for maintenance and it allows me to have something shuffling back and for a bit different to big green Swindon Locos.

I Think the weathering job will transform it Fred always does a stand out job.

All the best

Steve

I doubt many people would have predicted the day when an O Gauge model would be described as "run-of-the-mill" and off-the-shelf". I take that as a form of compliment. One of Ixion's aims was to produce a relatively inexpensive point of entry to O Gauge. It is much easier to hack about one of these than buther a much more expensive piece of metal. Keep us posted on the progress.

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

I see; thanks, Steve.

"It is much easier to hack about one of these than buther a much more expensive piece of metal. Keep us posted on the progress."

Just so.  If there's anybody else out there working on an Ixion conversion, I'm sure I'd not be the only one interested in seeing your progress.

David

I'm going to scrap the canopy front as its a bit to messy. The paint isn't the best even though I sanded between coats and being 3mm ply and cut with a standard Jack Saw even after sanding its not up to standards. I'm going to replace with the same timber used for the frame and paint this cream with a grey length on the back.

I've was looking through some books last night looking for inspiration for small O gauge layouts based on real places & the turn table at Weston Supermare Locking road would make a great project although I think you would need 8 foot X 2 foot.

That's not to say I'm looking at building it but it never hurts to look beyond the current project.

• Like 1

post-5983-0-94715000-1366064595_thumb.jpg

6023 ready to head the Red Dragon 10am departure off Cardiff to Paddington. After a turn around at Ranelagh Bridge she will return to Cardiff on the 3.55PM Capitols United express.

5099 will work train A58 the noon departure off Cardiff.

post-5983-0-84554200-1366064882_thumb.jpg

This shot was taken off cantons iconic foot bridge,

Well no not really, I should get my proper camera and do a few better shots, It would great if any one fancies having a go with photoshop to add some steam and smoke around the locos.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update as I've been busy with home decor this week, I picked up some nice beading today and gave it a few coats of gold and the replacement timber for the valance. Which I will get painted up next week.

I've just confirmed that Canton will be at the Pontypool and Blaenavon railway model show on the 20/21st of July. I've got a mikes models GWR water crane on the way so in between painting and papering next week I will get that built and installed.

post-5983-0-48780200-1367000730_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi asa

The poles are 6mm thick and 250mm tall. I copied the ones on Leamington for height but I suppose they could be a bit shorter, I might shorten them when I check my pictures of canton but my dad has my main book at the moment.

Duncan models do castings to complete them .