Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dave "Tetleys" Shakespeare

• RMweb Premium

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you, at Dave's request, that he has been diagnosed with cancer, and that the prognosis is extremely bleak. It is almost ceratin that he has no more than months to live, and it could be less. This shattering news comes out of the blue really, as all of this has been diagnosed during the last month. There had been no forewarning at all.

I am proud to number Dave among my best friends, and honoured that he has asked me to help him with the sale of his railway related belongings. He wishes to deal with that disposal as soon as possible, in order to relieve his poor wife Julie of at least one burden in the coming months. I have spoken with Andy Y, and he has agreed that RM Web and he personally will also be involved in assisting Dave at this awful time.

I am sure there will be very few who will be reading this, and with shock and great sadness, who have not heard of Dave and his iconic Tetley's Mills layouts. Dave was just starting on his new layout, which I know would have eclipsed even what he has done before, and established him even more firmly among the modelling greats. That will now never happen, but although the old Tetley's Mills has been dismantled, most of the buidlings and infrastructure still exist. So, if you are looking for a Satanic mill, or a run down row of Yorkshire cottages, you will shortly have the opportunity of acquiring such things, and at the same time preserving the memory of a great modeller.

I now need to talk to Dave and to Andy as to how we shall deal with this. We will hopefully be able to give more details shortly. In the meantime, I am sure that your thoughts will be with Dave and Julie and their family at this terrible time.

Perhaps also it will help us to put our lives and our hobby into perspective. Why do we get so heated sometimes over matters that events like this reveal to be no more than the most trivial of things?

I was devastated to hear the saddening news; very sudden and it’s only arisen over recent weeks; I'm still somewhat tongue-tied but I'd like to say thank you to Dave.

I’m so sorry for Dave, probably one of the hardest-working characters I’ve ever met, tremendously driven to undertake projects the rest of us would run a mile from and carried out with humour, entertainment and with his unique characteristic personality. I’m also upset for Julie and their family and friends; just when they’re getting to a point where they could (but probably wouldn’t) have put their feet up and enjoy their lives.

I’ve not met Dave many times but he really is a top bloke; he showed tremendous hospitality and generosity on a visit to the previous Tetley Mills. He was embarking on something bigger and better and it’s sad that the dream is unlikely to be recognised but it’s fair to say that he has a legion of virtual friends and followers who recognise the entertainment Dave has given on RMweb and through many of the magazines over the years through his trials and tribulations. Dave’s style is indelibly stamped in the history of modelling and great layouts; for that I’d personally like to say thank you for the inspiration given to others and sharing the passion for railways and modelling, many of us won’t be able to look at other West Yorkshire themed layouts and not think of Tetley Mills and Dave.

Dave often jokes about being the archetypal Yorkhireman but I know there’s a man of morals and generous spirit who it is a pleasure to have known. If he leaves us, he leaves us better for knowing him and that is the mark of a good man.

Tetley_Mills_Viaduct.jpg

What terrible news. I really am lost for words (which is rare for me). I don't think I've met Dave but his amazing modelling skills speak volumes for him. Its devastating news indeed and something I am dealing with close to heart at the moment. My dad was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer last year which is highly aggressive and incureable in his case. I really feel for Dave and his family.

• RMweb Premium

Dave and Tetleys Mills was the predominant reason for my getting back into the hobby in the 1990s. What I've just read has shocked me to the core. I've never met Dave, but there were so many times when I wished that I could.

With best wishes to Dave and his family at this very sad time.

Jeff

Very sad news indeed. Dave has worked so hard recently building his new house etc and he has only recently started work on his new layout.

These things come out of the blue, you can't plan for them and no one ever expects to either.

My thoughts are with Dave, his family and friends.

Brit15

It is very sad, it ain't over till it's over, though.

I've been diagnosed with cancer twice, one time it was extremely serious, indeed, where I was under the surgeon's knife within a day of diagnosis.

There's always a chance and I'll back Dave in a fight.

Best, Pete.

My thoughts are with Dave and his family at this deeply emotional and difficult time. I'm fortunate in that my wife has beaten cancer twice, but this disease is hell on earth for the families and sufferers alike; hopefully they will get all the help and support they need.

I am totally gutted by the sad news of Dave's illness,he is a top bloke in many ways,not just as a modeller. He once related to me a story about one of his sons and a minor motoring offence,it proved beyond doubt what I already suspected. He was as straight as a die as a copper and still is as  a man. Feel so for Julie and his family. 

• RMweb Gold

Shocking news. Dave's modelling was always such an inspiration - in my mind right up there with the likes of Peter Denny, etc.

Where there's life, theres hope, and cancer is one of those things that you can never be 100% certain about. My thoughts are with Dave and his family.

• RMweb Premium

Devastating news. I don't know Dave at all, but I know his name and that of his layouts due to their appearances in magazines. My thoughts go out to him and his family and friends, and I hope that some way to overcome this is found.

Truly devastating news. My thoughts are with Mr Shakespeare and his family.

Don't give in!

I was diagnosed with a form of in curable cancer exactly 1 year ago. Regular reading of Tetley's achievements together with the work of others of this parish have helped me enormously .

There is always hope.

Brian

Archived