Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

A figure lying down in front of the bus and the driver arguing with someone. Or perhaps a bicycle under the front wheel of the bus,

Don

Please Ray / Polly, do not paint Lycra on that cyclist!!! :no:

Hi Both, that looks Pretty Polly :O :o :O

How about a nice long overall shot to see how it is all coming together and get a better feel for its size.

I too like the Bus in the Trees, but agree it needs a Bus Stop to justify it stopped there OR an AA van parked in front of it, now that is something I have NOT SEEN DONE BEFORE. :O Oxford Models do a MacBraynes breakdown Lorry so if you could find one of those and re paint it in Western National Colours that too would work.

Bodgit :sungum:

Hi Andy.

The layout is currently erected in the living room so we can get to both sides so I can't get far enough away from it to get it all in, but here's a few individual shots.

post-11105-0-61542200-1374774153_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-83949000-1374774336_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-12854500-1374774234_thumb.jpg

This close up shows the terrace in position with the new Plastikard roof in place (currently being slated).

post-11105-0-42735000-1374774211_thumb.jpg

It's not quite seating properly due the door steps of the furthest two doors fouling the footpath. A trim back should hopefully cure it. There's also a couple of steps to go under the nearest doors.

Ray.

PS just noticed this thread has topped 200 replies and 10,000 views, many thank for all the support.

Edited by tender
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy.

The layout is currently erected in the living room so we can get to both sides so I can't get far enough away from it to get it all in, but here's a few individual shots.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This close up shows the terrace in position with the new Plastikard roof in place (currently being slated).

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's not quite seating properly due the door steps of the furthest two doors fouling the footpath. A trim back should hopefully cure it. There's also a couple of steps to go under the nearest doors.

Ray.

PS just noticed this thread has topped 200 replies and 10,000 views, many thank for all the support.

Ray,

I'm not one for threads that are all self congratulatery but those views show what an excellent layout it is. 

What is the length and width again, or is that in the first few pages?  You can always tell me to go and look.

Ray,

I'm not one for threads that are all self congratulatery but those views show what an excellent layout it is. 

What is the length and width again, or is that in the first few pages?  You can always tell me to go and look.

Hi Chris, I had to go back to page 1 to remind myself of the length, it's 10ft 9in x 1ft 4in.

Looking back I can't believe that just 6 months ago all I had was a set of baseboards with some cork glued to the top.

Ray.

• Like 1

A lot probably depends on the paper the smooth stuff with lots of china clay in it probably won't stick. I think the Mek Pack softens the plastic which then moulds to the paper surface and hence adheres.

Don

Hi Don, I think you're on to something there. I've used photographic mounting board for the mock ups and even Peters (trains12) Mammoth tape doesn't stick to it that well. The UHU seems about the most successful. I did try the Mammoth tape sticking embossed Plastikard to 2mm Plastikard sheet as a test and it sticks like you know what. Need a chisel to separate it. Think I will make the building shells with Plastikard in future.

Hi Both, that looks Pretty Polly :O :o :O

How about a nice long overall shot to see how it is all coming together and get a better feel for its size.

Will this do.

post-11105-0-19238600-1374862963_thumb.jpg

Will try and remember to put stock on it next time.

(Must get a better camera)

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 12

Hi Don, I think you're on to something there. I've used photographic mounting board for the mock ups and even Peters (trains12) Mammoth tape doesn't stick to it that well. The UHU seems about the most successful. I did try the Mammoth tape sticking embossed Plastikard to 2mm Plastikard sheet as a test and it sticks like you know what. Need a chisel to separate it. Think I will make the building shells with Plastikard in future.

Will this do.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ray.

Cheers Ray, some great shots and I do like the cottages mate,

Polly has done wonders with the scenics but don't tell her I said that or she will think I am creeping so as not to get a slap at Midland Railex in a couple of weeks. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

• Like 2

Will this do.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ray.

Hi Ray

rather then use Plasikard try using 3mm thk. Foamboard. It is easy to work with can be cut with a knife and the tape sticks to it like s...t. It is best glued with Super glue or an expensive Foamboard glue which is like a strong PVA On most building the thickness gives the depth of window openings. we stock it 4ft x 2ft sheets at about £5.50 a sheet bigger sizes can be cut up to a sheet size of 8ft by 4ft if needed. Call round and you can try some off cuts if you want. I have been using it now on all my buildings for the last 15 years. It is also inert.

Good luck with the show. Can't get there due to still working on the cottage. Found some of the windows are wrong.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by trains12

You may (or may not ) have guessed from Peters post above that Camel Quay made its debut outing at the Colwyn MRE exhibition hence all the recent activity trying to get it finished. Well it's still no where near finished (but fully operational and presentable) and has received some very positive comments including interest for two future bookings. Polly's 'heather bank' generated a lot of interest.

Here's a couple of photos I managed to grab just before close today.

post-11105-0-93921700-1374945071_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-50133400-1374945117_thumb.jpg

Colwyn MRE is open tomorrow, 1000-1600 at the community centre Craig Y Don (near Llandudno) so if you're in the area pop in and say hello.

Will try and get a few more pics tomorrow.

Ray.

• Like 11

Hi Ray & Polly,

I haven't looked in on this thread for a while (naughty Castle!) and it has come along in leaps and bounds since then. This is looking the absolute business guys! Well done and I hope all is going well at the exhibition.

All the best and see you soon!

Castle

• Like 2

One helpful comment (constructive criticism) that came out of the weekend was the lack of a catch point on the exit of the bay platform line where it joins the running line. I must admit I'd forgotten all about this (it was included in an earlier iteration of the track plan). As the track at this point is curved it rules out the use of the Peco catch point so I will make up a cosmetic one with a couple of switch blades filed from some left over rail and attach to the existing sleepers with some plastic (C&L) chairs.

The other obvious missing thing is the lack of signalling, this is sitting in a box waiting to be constructed, just a Home signal and a few ground signals required (I think) but my knowledge in this area is very limited so will be looking for some advice in this area shortly.

One helpful comment (constructive criticism) that came out of the weekend was the lack of a catch point on the exit of the bay platform line where it joins the running line. I must admit I'd forgotten all about this (it was included in an earlier iteration of the track plan). As the track at this point is curved it rules out the use of the Peco catch point so I will make up a cosmetic one with a couple of switch blades filed from some left over rail and attach to the existing sleepers with some plastic (C&L) chairs.

The other obvious missing thing is the lack of signalling, this is sitting in a box waiting to be constructed, just a Home signal and a few ground signals required (I think) but my knowledge in this area is very limited so will be looking for some advice in this area shortly.

Hi Ray and Polly, catch are something that are very rarely modelled anyway, so don't worry to much.

Bodgit

If your 'bay platform' is intended for passenger traffic use then a trap (not catch - catch=trailing, trap=facing)point would probably not be fitted. However, judging from your photos, I suspect that it is primarily a goods line? In which case, probably also likely that it would be a single-blade trap rather than double - not to say that you can't have a double if you fancy it :-)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ray,

just catching up with your thread and loving the progress to date.

With regard to sticking plastikard to mounting board, I used UHU contact adhesive apart from in window recesses where Mek-Pak has done the job fine (smaller area). Not sure why you guys were having issues using it (probably down to teh area vcovered) but the idea of Mek is that it melts the plastic and therefore helps it to adhere, and has worked fine for me. 

Cheers,

Jason.

Hi Ray,

just catching up with your thread and loving the progress to date.

With regard to sticking plastikard to mounting board, I used UHU contact adhesive apart from in window recesses where Mek-Pak has done the job fine (smaller area). Not sure why you guys were having issues using it (probably down to teh area vcovered) but the idea of Mek is that it melts the plastic and therefore helps it to adhere, and has worked fine for me. 

Cheers,

Jason.

Hi Jason.

Many thanks for your interest, I must have missed the use of UHU on your step by step, I'll have to go back and have another read. Wont do any harm as I've still got a long way to go before my buildings come up to anything like the quality yours.

I have a card shell for the goods shed ready for cladding with Plastikard so I'll give the UHU a try on that. I can't find any suitable off the shelf windows for this either so will have to give your technique try.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

If your 'bay platform' is intended for passenger traffic use then a trap (not catch - catch=trailing, trap=facing)point would probably not be fitted. However, judging from your photos, I suspect that it is primarily a goods line? In which case, probably also likely that it would be a single-blade trap rather than double - not to say that you can't have a double if you fancy it :-)

Almost certainly a single blade job - and the line definitely appears to be 'goods' what with coal cells and a cattle dock.

Fortunately the signalling looks very straightforward and could be limited to the platform starter as the only semaphore signal (assuming the Home Signal is at the other side of the bridge/tunnel) and a few ground signals.

Almost certainly a single blade job - and the line definitely appears to be 'goods' what with coal cells and a cattle dock.

Fortunately the signalling looks very straightforward and could be limited to the platform starter as the only semaphore signal (assuming the Home Signal is at the other side of the bridge/tunnel) and a few ground signals.

Yes, the line in the bay platform is a 'goods' so I will try and model a cosmetic single blade (trap) presumably on the rail furthest from the running line.

As far as semaphores goes, the signalling appears straightforward as Stationmaster suggests as can be seen from this picture, again from 'Branchlines to Padstow' p115, (J.Scrace).

post-11105-0-45782200-1375304629_thumb.jpg

The signal kit I have is a Ratio SR Home starter with bullhead rail for the signal post but looking at the picture I don't think it's the appropriate one. I might have a look around for something more suitable.

As for the rest (ground signals) here's a track plan if anybody would like to suggest what might be appropriate.

post-11105-0-15206300-1375304832_thumb.jpg

Turnout 8 feeding the the FY is beyond the tunnel so nothing required there.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 2

If you look at my thread on Padstow, you will see a non-operating version built from the LNER lattice post signals and some SR brass etching blades from Mainly Trains.  Didn't take too long to put together. I am still thinking about getting a custom LSWR lattice from Borg-Rail.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28665-end-of-the-line-padstow/page-4

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1