Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

>>>for points and signals a switch relates to a lever and that makes sense to me......

Quite right too! :locomotive:

I wonder how long before one goes to an exhibition and sees a layout controlled by a chap sat at home and working it over the internet from his PC ?????

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how long before one goes to an exhibition and sees a layout controlled by a chap sat at home and working it over the internet from his PC ?????

Re-railing could be a bit tricky remotely!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike.

Been studying your signal diagram and just want to check if I've got this right.

Assuming the Siding is occupied, a train arriving with wagons destined for the quay would enter the P Loop and then shunt back to the Quay (or Q Loop). In this instance would a ground signal be required at the toe of No.2 point as you seem to suggest. And would I be right in saying this would also require the two ground signals at No.3 point in this instance. Chris suggested that maybe only one was required at this point.

Ray.

That's a good point Ray - you could indeed (without checking the SR Regulations) work a freight like that I suppose - sorry but my GW thinking cap was on when I looked at that signal at No.2 point toe (but Idid cover myself ;)  

My own inclination is to go for the two separate discs at No.3 point - it accords with common practice (as does Chris' s counter suggestion) but more importantly it matches what actually happened in some instances in that part of the world plus if you are likely to have two engines around it makes sense to signal for the expected traffic situation.

• RMweb Gold

Model Railroading did a test of the Lens adapter and a cordless phone. The tester operated the basement layout from across the road but needed a spotter on a mobile phone to know what he was doing!

With advances in cameras you could be sat at a PC looking out through cab windows.

Don

Hi Ray, re the working ground signals, Hazel Valley by my local club Hazel Grove & District has working LMR style ground signals on the layout including two mounted on the same post IIRC and they look quite nice when pulled off using the signalling control panel. The layout featured in RM some years ago as the RoM and very nice it looked in print too.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

DCC Macros, you are a bit more modern than me. I like the DCC control because you can forget about electrical sections (not something that affects a steam engine) but for points and signals a switch relates to a lever and that makes sense to me. However I shall be interested in how you do your macros incase I ever go for a route setting box.

Don

Hi Don, not a lot going on until the signals arrive so here's the low down on Macros.

Firstly my DCC system is powered by a NCE Powercab which supports Macros, I've no experience with other systems so no idea if this can be done with say a Lenz or other system.

post-11105-0-99436300-1375651079_thumb.jpg

Secondly, there's no control panel, control is all by the Powercab throttle or a NCE mini panel (a more sophisticated macro controller, more of later).

post-11105-0-68959100-1375651099_thumb.jpg

There are up to 16 macros on the Powercab, each capable of being programmed with up to 8 accessory commands.

There are currently 14 macros programmed to control the layout. Each macro (except 1 and 2) sets a complete route from the left side of the layout to the right side (or vice versa).

post-11105-0-73827000-1375651125_thumb.jpg

So for instance, to run a train from the sector plate to the platform would require points 8,6,5,(4,3,2) and 1 to be set. (4,3,2) are set to avoid conflicting routes.

To do this on the Powercab as individual accessory commands would require a lot of button pushing, but by programming these into a macro (macro 4 in this instance) you only have to push the Macro, 4 and Enter buttons. The macro does the rest executing all the accessory commands on the right side of the table.

post-11105-0-01422500-1375651146_thumb.jpg

The above table shows all the possible route combinations that have been programmed so setting a route up is very quick. Macros are remembered when power is off so you only have to set them up once.

The Powercab also has a recall stack so the last six selected locos can be recalled by the touch of a button.

Macros on the Powercab are limited to accessory commands but the mini panel can execute just about any command, including Loco, changing CV's, delays and conditional commands. More of this in a future post but as I indicated in an earlier post it will allow semi automatic operation when short handed.

Ray

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

Sorry for being a bit dim are you using the basic nce set or is there more too it?

No, The system described above just needs a basic NCE Powercab, but because I intend to have about 5 or 6 sound locos eventually there is an additional DCC power booster to cope with the additional load.

post-11105-0-38382500-1375687225_thumb.jpg

These cost about £35 and can provide up to 5 amps DCC power

The track output of the Powercab feeds the DCC in of the power booster and the output of this feeds the DCC bus to which all the turnout accessories and track sections are connected (as per usual DCC practice). It does of course require a more powerful DC power pack. (5 amp)

Ray.

Edited by tender

• RMweb Gold

Interesting Ray. I must have a look as to whether and how I do them on my lens system. I think I will stick to a lever frame (or a row of switches acting as the same) for the station but it would be very useful for the fy where it has no relation to any signal box using that I could just ask the DCC to set up the road for siding one etc. I do have a circuit for actuating tortoises from a single roatary switch to set the road this might be easier to wire and more flexible.

For the station I may even go for a proper lever frame and locking frame but only to operate switches to work tortoise or cobalt motors mechaical linkage could need too much adjustment.

Don

Hi Don, not a lot going on until the signals arrive so here's the low down on Macros.

Firstly my DCC system is powered by a NCE Powercab which supports Macros, I've no experience with other systems so no idea if this can be done with say a Lenz or other system.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Secondly, there's no control panel, control is all by the Powercab throttle or a NCE mini panel (a more sophisticated macro controller, more of later).

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

There are up to 16 macros on the Powercab, each capable of being programmed with up to 8 accessory commands.

There are currently 14 macros programmed to control the layout. Each macro (except 1 and 2) sets a complete route from the left side of the layout to the right side (or vice versa).

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So for instance, to run a train from the sector plate to the platform would require points 8,6,5,(4,3,2) and 1 to be set. (4,3,2) are set to avoid conflicting routes.

To do this on the Powercab as individual accessory commands would require a lot of button pushing, but by programming these into a macro (macro 4 in this instance) you only have to push the Macro, 4 and Enter buttons. The macro does the rest executing all the accessory commands on the right side of the table.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The above table shows all the possible route combinations that have been programmed so setting a route up is very quick. Macros are remembered when power is off so you only have to set them up once.

The Powercab also has a recall stack so the last six selected locos can be recalled by the touch of a button.

Macros on the Powercab are limited to accessory commands but the mini panel can execute just about any command, including Loco, changing CV's, delays and conditional commands. More of this in a future post but as I indicated in an earlier post it will allow semi automatic operation when short handed.

Ray

Hi Ray, can you run through that again but MORE SLOWLY for us Southerners, :O :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit Lostit :sungum:

No, The system described above just needs a basic NCE Powercab, but because I intend to have about 5 or 6 sound locos eventually there is an additional DCC power booster to cope with the additional load.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

These cost about £35 and can provide up to 5 amps DCC power

The track output of the Powercab feeds the DCC in of the power booster and the output of this feeds the DCC bus to which all the turnout accessories and track sections are connected (as per usual DCC practice). It does of course require a more powerful DC power pack. (5 amp)

Ray.

Sorry Ray :nono: I kept hitting the wrong do da thingy hence all the wotsits. :no:

Bodgit, :sungum:

P.S. Ray will know what I mean. :no:

Hi Ray, can you run through that again but MORE SLOWLY for us Southerners, :O :no: :no:

Bodgit Lostit :sungum:

When my iPhone adaptor arrives for my tripod I'll do a video for you which should make things clearer.

Sorry Ray :nono: I kept hitting the wrong do da thingy hence all the wotsits. :no:

Bodgit, :sungum:

P.S. Ray will know what I mean. :no:

Do you mean the horse and cart with the man following with shovel and bucket. Haha.

Still waiting for the signals to arrive from MSE so nothing happening on that front.

I did have a slight problem at the weekend in that one of the turnout servos fell off from under the baseboard. These were stuck on using a hot glue gun which i thought was a quick and simple way of attaching the servos at the time.

However on inspecting the other servos it's clear that the hot glue doesn't stick very well to the plastic of the servo, most of them fell off when I put a bit of pressure on them.

I've now changed all the servo mountings using these rather nice servo brackets.

post-11105-0-48345600-1375865626.jpg

Although they are more expensive than glue they have an added advantage that its very quick to change a servo should one fail.

PS. The signals were in the post box when I got home.

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

Do you need some 6 inch nails Ray,

OR

Get Polly to Sit under the board holding them all up. hahhaaaa

Whoops I will DUCK AGAIN at Railex.

Bodgit :sungum:

EDIT, Spelling mistake on SIT, sorry Polly

Edited by Andrew P

Well I guess you're all bored with the techie stuff, but before I get back to the modelling (MSE signals look a bit of a challenge, at least for me) I thought some of you might like this.

post-11105-0-14061100-1375979380.jpg

Polly found this in the June 1956 copy of 'The Railway Magazine' she was reading the other day. Believe it or not she gets paid for reading old railway magazines, don't ask!

Although 'Camel Quay' was inspired by Padstow, unknowingly, it looks like it could be a 'might have been' on the 'Delabole and Rock Railway', Rock being on the opposite side of the Camel estuary to Padstow.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I guess you're all bored with the techie stuff, but before I get back to the modelling (MSE signals look a bit of a challenge, at least for me) I thought some of you might like this.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Polly found this in the June 1956 copy of 'The Railway Magazine' she was reading the other day. Believe it or not she gets paid for reading old magazines, don't ask!

Although 'Camel Quay' was inspired by Padstow, unknowingly, it looks like it could be a 'might have been' on the 'Delabole and Rock Railway', Rock being on the opposite side of the Camel estuary to Padstow.

Ray.

How can you afford it Ray?