Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Don't forget that the upper white border of the diagonals is broader on the edge nearest to the flag pole  :jester:

Agreed a member of my family goes spare when they see the flag accidentally hung upside down.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well Polly... my comment had been in jest given how small your flag is. But from the two "informative" ratings and Jaz's comment it has to be taken seriously... so you're going to have to have those diagonals with an off centre white border of about 0.2 mm above the red on the pole side and about 0.07 mm below, and the opposite on the other end... Hope you've got a very high resolution printer, or a very fine paint brush!  :jester:

I'll make my inspection as you set up on Friday evening!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well Polly... my comment had been in jest given how small your flag is. But from the two "informative" ratings and Jaz's comment it has to be taken seriously... so you're going to have to have those diagonals with an off centre white border of about 0.2 mm above the red on the pole side and about 0.07 mm below, and the opposite on the other end... Hope you've got a very high resolution printer, or a very fine paint brush!  :jester:

I'll make my inspection as you set up on Friday evening!

Thanks Neil.  As a recreational sailor flag etiquette is high on the agenda. That's why the camera is such a handy tool at this scale. Pleased to see everyone is on the ball.  The fawlty flag will be returned to the supplier and replaced.

This is how it comes ready for folding.

post-14049-0-70989900-1422461605.jpg

I took the flag image from the website of a supplier of festive flags (for that touch of authenticity).

You'll notice that I've mirrored the two images.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Polly,

I think what you have done with the flag is your best bet.  I know I have seen a wargame company that produces flags but the one I thought it was appears not to be there at the moment and probably they are battlefield sized flags anyway, which are large.  If I come across another company I will let you know.

• RMweb Premium

And the girls are:  Jennifer, Janet, Janice, Jeanette, Jean (all names of my class friends in the late 50s) and "Ginger."

Just thought you'd like to know.

G'nite all.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

This will be my last post until after Stafford.

I'd like to take the opportunity to say thanks to you all for all the "likes", comments, helpful advice and most of all your support and encouragement which has been very inspirational.  It's made the job of painting and doing up the figures so much more achievable, and enjoyable.

But don't go away because there's still loads more to do especially on the quayside and in the station area.   ;)

And if you're at Stafford, hopefully, we'll see you there.

You will have noticed that I haven't posted a pic of the Morris Men on CQ yet.  Didn't want to spoil it for you before you see them for real.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ray and Polly,

Was good to meet you this evening during set up at Stafford. Was glad you were right by the door (though probably a bit on the cold side) so I could chat for a bit as once I was further inside I didn't get a chance to chat to anyone else as I was straight in to checking stuff in for the club stall. Sorry to say there were no BR vehicles at all. But I'll keep a lookout tomorrow morning as people can bring additional stock up until 9:00. If I see anything I'll put it aside until you can spare a minute to take a look.

Hope CQ goes well for you for the weekend. See you sometime tomorrow after the initial rush to the stall!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 4

Ray and Polly,

Was good to meet you this evening during set up at Stafford. Was glad you were right by the door (though probably a bit on the cold side) so I could chat for a bit as once I was further inside I didn't get a chance to chat to anyone else as I was straight in to checking stuff in for the club stall. Sorry to say there were no BR vehicles at all. But I'll keep a lookout tomorrow morning as people can bring additional stock up until 9:00. If I see anything I'll put it aside until you can spare a minute to take a look.

Hope CQ goes well for you for the weekend. See you sometime tomorrow after the initial rush to the stall!

Kind regards, Neil

I'll keep mine out of the way then hahahha

All the best Guys, sounds like were in the same hall, were somewhere in the entrance hall.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'll keep mine out of the way then hahahha

All the best Guys, sounds like were in the same hall, were somewhere in the entrance hall.

I did think of your recent photos when Polly was asking :)

CQ is in the third hall. It was only next to the entrance tonight while the back door was open to allow layouts in.

See you tomorrow Andy!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ray

Nice to meet up with you today.

Thanks for showing me the way you use the NCE Mini Panel.

We spoke briefly about a motorised sector plate. One the layouts - Humber Dock I think - had a remotely controlled one at one end of the layout. It was string powered!

I suspect the string was some kind of loop, pulled one way or the other depending on which of the two tracks were required to be aligned. Basic but it seemed to work.

I hope the rest of the show goes OK for you.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Polly, Ray

Was good to get to spend some more time talking about Camel Quay with you yesterday. So I thought I'd share some of my photos. Many are views that have been on the thread before, but I think that your layout is worth seeing again and again!

My first was taken with my phone, and I forgot to disable the flash, so there are rather more shadows than desired, but I've left it in as it shows the fantastic work you've done on your girl guides... with the one curtsying to the queen :) The flags look brilliant in the flesh by the way!

post-13426-0-71837500-1422794553_thumb.jpg

I really like the shops. Even though they're low relief you've managed to get some brilliant cameos into each one

post-13426-0-75513800-1422794610_thumb.jpg

An overall view of the parade in front of the hotel. The Morris Men are incredibly effective and the work you've put into each of them, Polly, was really worthwhile.

post-13426-0-83861700-1422794705_thumb.jpg

Then I thought I'd take some of the railway! As I said, I'm particularly impressed with Ray's work on the point rodding which I think is one of the details that makes Camel Quay special. Though when you told me about the problems you had and that next tile you'll use brass I'm no longer sure I want to copy :)

post-13426-0-10916400-1422794884_thumb.jpg

Then a couple of wider views showing the immaculate detail in the station and signal box areas. More views of point rodding, the ground signals, the little huts and the cameo in the coal. All brilliant detail work. Maybe a bit more muck needed with the cows though ;)

post-13426-0-43904000-1422794996_thumb.jpg

post-13426-0-29500200-1422795007_thumb.jpg

Then on to the embankment covered with heather, gorse and grass. It looks even better in the flesh than all of the photos I've seen before and is one of the focal points that draws the eye on the layout. Sort of peaceful summer haze surrounding the reminder of wartime concrete. And all again surrounded by immaculate detail, more point rodding, little veg plot, ground signals and ground frame and a train spotter looking over the wall!

post-13426-0-28365500-1422795288_thumb.jpg

post-13426-0-80185500-1422795297_thumb.jpg

Finally one of the money shots! The steps down to the quay break the wall wonderfully while the harbour master looks out over the quiet lapping of the waves against the quayside. Meanwhile two lads sit at the top of the steps looking down on the scene completely ignoring the bustle of girl guides and morris dancing going on behind them... maybe they're not monarchists :)

post-13426-0-58020700-1422795826_thumb.jpg

A really enjoyable layout. And it was great talking to both of you Ray and Polly. I was amazed when you told me this was your first layout! It's such a pleasure to look at and I am eagerly looking forward to the next chance I get. Sadly not today as I can't make it.

I hope you enjoy(ed) the show as much as me

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 14

Hi Polly, Ray

Was good to get to spend some more time talking about Camel Quay with you yesterday. So I thought I'd share some of my photos. Many are views that have been on the thread before, but I think that your layout is worth seeing again and again!

My first was taken with my phone, and I forgot to disable the flash, so there are rather more shadows than desired, but I've left it in as it shows the fantastic work you've done on your girl guides... with the one curtsying to the queen :) The flags look brilliant in the flesh by the way!

attachicon.gif20150131_084249.jpg

I really like the shops. Even though they're low relief you've managed to get some brilliant cameos into each one

attachicon.gifIMG_3630.JPG

An overall view of the parade in front of the hotel. The Morris Men are incredibly effective and the work you've put into each of them, Polly, was really worthwhile.

attachicon.gifIMG_3632.JPG

Then I thought I'd take some of the railway! As I said, I'm particularly impressed with Ray's work on the point rodding which I think is one of the details that makes Camel Quay special. Though when you told me about the problems you had and that next tile you'll use brass I'm no longer sure I want to copy :)

attachicon.gifIMG_3634.JPG

Then a couple of wider views showing the immaculate detail in the station and signal box areas. More views of point rodding, the ground signals, the little huts and the cameo in the coal. All brilliant detail work. Maybe a bit more muck needed with the cows though ;)

attachicon.gifIMG_3656.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3657.JPG

Then on to the embankment covered with heather, gorse and grass. It looks even better in the flesh than all of the photos I've seen before and is one of the focal points that draws the eye on the layout. Sort of peaceful summer haze surrounding the reminder of wartime concrete. And all again surrounded by immaculate detail, more point rodding, little veg plot, ground signals and ground frame and a train spotter looking over the wall!

attachicon.gifIMG_3658.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3659.JPG

Finally one of the money shots! The steps down to the quay break the wall wonderfully while the harbour master looks out over the quiet lapping of the waves against the quayside. Meanwhile two lads sit at the top of the steps looking down on the scene completely ignoring the bustle of girl guides and morris dancing going on behind them... maybe they're not monarchists :)

attachicon.gifIMG_3660.JPG

A really enjoyable layout. And it was great talking to both of you Ray and Polly. I was amazed when you told me this was your first layout! It's such a pleasure to look at and I am eagerly looking forward to the next chance I get. Sadly not today as I can't make it.

I hope you enjoy(ed) the show as much as me

Kind regards, Neil

First layout? .. !!!

That makes it even more amazing. Wish I had been there to see it.

Hello Ray / Polly.

First time l had seen CQ, and must say l was impressed very nice, and Pollys hard work with the figures really set the scene, always had people looking around you every time l passed  getting drinks for Pete and Andy on 'Deesdale' well done, very nice, hope to see it again someday ?.

George

Here are a few pictures I managed to grab just before packing up on Sunday.

post-11105-0-50343200-1422882154_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-91400400-1422882177_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-46242800-1422882196_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-18415900-1422882211_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-72275500-1422882252_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to all for posting your photos and comments' much appreciated, and a special thanks to all the RMWebbers who came and said hello and to Jamie for helping with the packing up on Sunday.

Ray.

• Like 14

Enjoyed looking a CQ on Saturday, but you were pretty busy each time I went passed and didn't get chance to say hello.

Hi, sorry you didn't have a chance to introduce yourself, but please do next time if you get the chance. Although I may look engrossed in what I'm doing, it's all pretty much on 'autopilot' now we've done a few exhibitions so can usually hold down a conversation (if maybe a bit disjointed) as well well as run the layout. Pollys usually around for a chat as well when she's not fetching cups of tea or buying bits and bobs from the traders.

Ray.

• Like 2