Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

• RMweb Gold

Those figures look great, as does the whole layout great work by both of you, I shall mention your names for the Andover Modelex next year, but I bet your diary is filling fast, could you PM me your contact details ?

As for the figures I was just about to start a thread asking where I could get more "British" looking figures from, you've answered that for me as well :D

May I cross reply?

First though, I do like that interior.  Interiors do add something, even if it is onl to your satisfaction of doing it.

I do hope that timetable is for the right year of operation!  :jester:

Model figures.  I have no axe to grind and am not on commission from these makers, although I suppose I ought to be the number of times I have mentioned them.

If you are looking for the period 30s to 60s then there is Langley, Aiden Campbell and Dart Castings.  If you are looking for an earlier period then have a look on my thread.

• Like 1

Working lights? :scratchhead:

Here's a picture showing how the the lights were fitted in the booking hall (view from the underside of the building if you hadn't guessed).

post-11105-0-49046900-1414332361_thumb.jpg

And the effect from the front. (Sorry about the focus)

post-11105-0-20829900-1414332373_thumb.jpg

Next lighting up the under side of the canopy.

Ray.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

While Ray was doing the electrics, I was chopping and gluing.  I got this silly idea last night after thinking about "Derek (Finished the Job) Dunnett" who reminded me of a local boatyard businessman. Then I came across a photo of George (Pop) Maynard and I was very tempted...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_liDvz1YG20./UF1-Zs88LOI/AAAAAAAAAzQ/BIUQk4WxUjQ/s1600/Pop.jpg

http://the-quaffer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/just-another-saturday-night-sussex-1960_22.html

So beard, it is.

The static grass I had to hand was my first option, but it would have given a rather long beard, so I tried cutting up a small bunch of 2in.long Field Grass.  To make life easier, I did a test with dark green so I could see what I was doing.  Then I stuck it to the end of a plastic tube with PVA glue. 

post-14049-0-73752600-1414342177.jpg

This seemed to work but it didn't quite look right when painted so I used the light straw colour.  Then I couldn't get normal PVA onto the face fine enough.  Enter Tacky Glue-in-tube-with-fine-nozzle...et voila.  It worked!  Just don't ask me to do a whole tribe!

post-14049-0-59306500-1414342446.jpg post-14049-0-42961800-1414345770.jpg

Polly

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

A floor was needed for the Booking Hall so I made one tonight.  I decided to do one made of floorboards painted dark brown.

Because it has to be thin enough to go underneath the building [to avoid cutting an irregular shape], I started with a (used) brown envelope turning it rough side up.  I laid this over a row of taped down (used) wooden stirrers and taped round the edges of the paper. I, then, rubbed my fingers over the paper to bring out the edges of the floorboards (the stirrers) and vertical "joins" in brick fashion for a touch of realism. Hmmm.

Next, I dry brushed Burnt Umber acrylic paint over the paper along the line of the stirrers and used a slightly wet brush to even the paint out where the paper still showed through.  I followed this with a light wash of diluted black ink.  When dry, I smoothed the paper out with a tissue [this added a gloss sheen] before cutting to shape. Ray will do the honours of sticking it down on the layout.  On a test fitting, It looked a yellowish-green but since those are the colours inside, it's hardly surprising, but you can just about make out the relief of the "floorboards."  And guess what - I forgot to photograph the finished article.  Sorry! :sorry:

May I cross reply?

First though, I do like that interior.  Interiors do add something, even if it is onl to your satisfaction of doing it.

I do hope that timetable is for the right year of operation!  :jester:

Model figures.  I have no axe to grind and am not on commission from these makers, although I suppose I ought to be the number of times I have mentioned them.

If you are looking for the period 30s to 60s then there is Langley, Aiden Campbell and Dart Castings.  If you are looking for an earlier period then have a look on my thread.

To add to the variety of 00 figures available, Pete Goss does Edwardian, Period and Modern eras, painted and unpainted.  P & D Marsh also do figures - like the man mowing the lawn and the station cat who likes sitting aloft (bought at the Mid Hants Railway in June).

Polly,

That beard is really, really clever and gives results much better than DAS or Milliput.  Fortunately I think I have enough figures with beards.

Thanks.  Kind of you to say so, Chris, though when you get down to 4mm scale it's only just discernible - if you're looking for it.  It'll be interesting to see if I can put the figure on the layout in the "right" place for the lighting to catch it - that's if it stays stuck on. I daren't touch it as the PVA glue will take a  while to harden and even then, I guess I'll just have to "Handle with care!"

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 4

So here we have the station back on the platform with the interior lights and canopy reattached.

post-11105-0-75109500-1414402984_thumb.jpg

It looks a bit dark under there.

The lighting for the underside of the canopy was made up by removing some surface mount LEDs and resistor from a LED lighting strip and soldering them on to a piece of Copperclad sleepering with cuts at suitable positions for the components. This was done as there would have been too many lights by just using the LED strip straight from the packet.

post-11105-0-30630800-1414402999_thumb.jpg

It has been temporarily fitted under the canopy to see the effect.

post-11105-0-53829900-1414403014_thumb.jpg

It has softened the shadow caused by overhead room lights and brightened the area underneath.

Currently there is some slight light 'bleed' to the top of the canopy through the plasticard sheet. Hopefully painting the underside of the canopy black will cure this, if not will try some thin black card.

Ray.

• Like 14

Hi Ray / Polly, that is looking really nice, I have found the same light bleed problem in the past with Resin Honr /Bach Buildings and I found that Blackboard Paint was the best, its really thick like Tar to apply.

Polly painted the underside of the canopy black which more or less sorted the light bleed and then off white over the top to diffuse the light a bit more. The wiring has been tidied up and now goes back into the station to connect up to the booking hall wiring.

So here's the result with the room lights off giving a 'dusk' view. I might build a dimmer so the brightness can be adjusted to suit the venue at exhibitions.

post-11105-0-86960500-1414421122_thumb.jpg

Last of the guttering to put on, the chimneys to sort, and a bit of weathering and that should just about finish it off. Also have some fire buckets, scales, baggage and some seating on order to clutter things up a bit.

Ray.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

That's some fantastic lighting Ray and the treatment on the canopy, to stop the bleed and also diffuse that glow from the three (I think) LEDs you're using, has worked brilliantly. Trouble is now you're going to have to put in at least a couple of lamps along the platform to blend in the whole ;)

...I can also now state that I was wrong in suggesting you need to open one of the doors. With the lighting so well done it's all perfectly visible, so no point in letting the heat out of the station!

• Like 1

That's some fantastic lighting Ray and the treatment on the canopy, to stop the bleed and also diffuse that glow from the three (I think) LEDs you're using, has worked brilliantly. Trouble is now you're going to have to put in at least a couple of lamps along the platform to blend in the whole ;)

...I can also now state that I was wrong in suggesting you need to open one of the doors. With the lighting so well done it's all perfectly visible, so no point in letting the heat out of the station!

Hi Neil.

We did put some 'working' lamps on the platform as can be seen here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=1529086

Trouble is they didn't work, well one did for a few minutes the other was dead on arrival. Couldn't be bothered to send them back so will make my own when i get a few more pressing jobs done.

Ray.

So Ray, I am assuming that the Layout will be set as a Night scene at Shows with NO overhead lights, When I exhibited Trebudoc I had to turn off the overhead lights to justify the Platform Lamps otherwise it looked as though they were on in the Sunshine.

So Ray, I am assuming that the Layout will be set as a Night scene at Shows with NO overhead lights, When I exhibited Trebudoc I had to turn off the overhead lights to justify the Platform Lamps otherwise it looked as though they were on in the Sunshine.

Hi Andy.

Not really, but we thought the canopy and booking hall needed lights as the layout lighting cast a very dark shadow of the canopy over the front of the station building and that part of the platform. Without it Polly's interior would be wasted as you wouldn't see it. 

Ray.

Morning Polly and Ray,

Splendid workmanship as usual from you two, I'm even inspired to have a figure made to look like my father in full drivers uniform with lunch box under his arm. The lighting has also given me ideas for illumination of the coaling stage, office and bothy which will be part of the first module when I finally get enough fitness and funds in place to get started! Could you give me the name of the LED light supplier please Ray?

This layout has, in my opinion, been a complete demonstration of how to build a model railway from scratch and could certainly be made into a 'how to' book for those starting out!

Thank you and kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Hi Jock, many thanks for your kind words.

The LED strip was from Green Scenes, although I've seen it at quite a few traders stands at exhibitions. It's a bargain at £2.99 for a strip of 60 LEDs and can be cut up into three LED (or multiples of) sections if required.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Polly and Ray,

Splendid workmanship as usual from you two, I'm even inspired to have a figure made to look like my father in full drivers uniform with lunch box under his arm. The lighting has also given me ideas for illumination of the coaling stage, office and bothy which will be part of the first module when I finally get enough fitness and funds in place to get started! Could you give me the name of the LED light supplier please Ray?

This layout has, in my opinion, been a complete demonstration of how to build a model railway from scratch and could certainly be made into a 'how to' book for those starting out!

Thank you and kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks from me too, Jock.  I don't know about a book, though.  I'm having a job updating the one-sheet flyer for exhibition managers with all the changes that keep happening.  Of course, if there's an impressive ghost writer out there who can turn this thread into one, we'd glady accept the £0000000 royalties.  :mosking:

Best wishes

Polly

Thanks from me too, Jock.  I don't know about a book, though.  I'm having a job updating the one-sheet flyer for exhibition managers with all the changes that keep happening.  Of course, if there's an impressive ghost writer out there who can turn this thread into one, we'd glady accept the £0000000 royalties.  :mosking:

Best wishes

Polly

Wish I had the time

• RMweb Premium

Book?

You'd expect a book to be full of stories.

So, here's the latest.

To take advantage of the long summer heatwave across the county, a pair of the most senior cleaners (consequently, called "Sooty" and "Sweep" after the popular BBC Television children's show*) have been sent on Special Duty from the main depot to clean the station building chimneys along the whole stretch of the Rock-Delabole Line before the long chilly evenings descend and everyone wants to light their fires, again.  They have reached Camel Quay and "Sweep" is busily working away, as you can see.  If he's quick, they'll be in time to grab a brake van ride back up the line at the rear of the china clay empties in all that dusty white stuff.  Black and white: no need for a colour photo then.**

post-14049-0-40494100-1414667896.jpg

* Crystal Ball : BBC Television's The Sooty Show, which began in 1955, will run until 1967 before being withdrawn and reallocated to Thames Television's ITV channel.

** This report was inspired by various on-the-railway stories by the men who worked on them though any resemblance to real events are purely coincidental.

• Like 6