Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Book?

You'd expect a book to be full of stories.

So, here's the latest.

To take advantage of the long summer heatwave across the county, a pair of the most senior cleaners (consequently, called "Sooty" and "Sweep" after the popular BBC Television children's show*) have been sent on Special Duty from the main depot to clean the station building chimneys along the whole stretch of the Rock-Delabole Line before the long chilly evenings descend and everyone wants to light their fires, again.  They have reached Camel Quay and "Sweep" is busily working away, as you can see.  If he's quick, they'll be in time to grab a brake van ride back up the line at the rear of the china clay empties in all that dusty white stuff.  Black and white: no need for a colour photo then.**

attachicon.gifIMG_4195 station building b&w.JPG

* Crystal Ball : BBC Television's The Sooty Show, which began in 1955, will run until 1967 before being withdrawn and reallocated to Thames Television's ITV channel.

** This report was inspired by various on-the-railway stories by the men who worked on them though any resemblance to real events are purely coincidental.

Excellent little cameo.  You will now need the chimney sweep's apprentice on the platform standing alongside his three wheel bycycle (ice cream type, but with brushes and paraphenalia) pointing up to his brush :sungum:

• Like 5

Camel Quay has a number of Bachmann China Clay wagons (Kernow Commision) but I've always felt that the canvas covers are a bit naff.

post-11105-0-20156800-1414693471_thumb.jpg

So I thought I'd see if I could do something a bit better. I won't take the credit for this technique as I'm sure I read it on here somewhere, so here is my take with some pictures

Firstly the wagon was covered with cling film and a rectangle of tissue paper cut out just a bit bigger than the wagon.

post-11105-0-85180200-1414693579_thumb.jpg

The tissue was then screwed up into a ball and then flatterned out and folded over the wagon.

post-11105-0-66704100-1414693598_thumb.jpg

The tissue was then given three coats of d-o-p-e (I half expected the drugs squad to be banging on the door after doing an Internet search for this stuff).

post-11105-0-72150500-1414693614_thumb.jpg

After letting it dry for a few hours a spray of grey primer.

post-11105-0-60371100-1414693627_thumb.jpg

The cling film was then roughly trimmed back and the cover eased off for a final trim.

After replacing this is the result compared to the original.

post-11105-0-56685900-1414693641_thumb.jpg

Quite pleased with how that's come out, just five more to do before packing up for Merseyside MRE this weekend.

Ray.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I finally finished painting the set of workers for Camel Quay, this evening.

Some have been fixed in place.  Over the weekend, once everything that currently sits in boxes has been put out on the layout, we'll decide where the other figures will go.

For now, a group photo.

post-14049-0-29071500-1414709873.jpg

From left to right:

The  Gwyn* Brothers, China Clay workers (* Cornish, meaning "White")

Inspector and Ticket Collector

Derek ("Finished the Job") Dunnett, Quayside businessman

Don Swetter, Seaman (seated)

Chuck Cole, Conveyor duty at the coal staithes

T.R. Ash, Dustman

Ben Downe, Seaman

Polly

• Like 11

Hi Ray & Polly,

Looking really good with those excellent figures and those superb wagon covers, maybe I'll have a go at copying that idea in due course!

I don't know about a book but you seem well able to tell a good story, folks!

I love the idea of creating "characters" on a layout as it really brings the layout to life, wish I had the imagination!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Ray & Polly,

As has been said waggon covers and figures look good. 

I love the names too.  I will have to send Fiona Jones down on holiday.  (Sorry, Fiona Scuttlebucket got married so her name is not as interesting.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We had a great weekend at the Wirral Show.

As requested, a few photos from the exhibition.  I went round Sunday morning before the crowds were let loose and filled in the gaps later on.  I hope I've not left anyone out.  To keep it "on topic," I limited myself to something found on Camel Quay, so here goes.

[Mouse over the pics should give the image file name and identify the layout.]

Full view of Camel Quay, Friday afternoon.  Note the aluminium lighting unit across the top.  Background faded out to make the layout clearer.

post-14049-0-03191800-1414978622_thumb.jpg

Horse and cart

post-14049-0-84128400-1414973380.jpg

Animal pens

post-14049-0-29063700-1414973394.jpg

Road vehicles

post-14049-0-04912300-1414973417.jpg

Bridging the landscape

post-14049-0-27703900-1414973437.jpg

Retaining wall

post-14049-0-96344700-1414973453.jpg

Boat transport

post-14049-0-31264700-1414973478.jpg

Tunnel entrance

post-14049-0-59300400-1414973498.jpg

Cows [edit] with horns!

post-14049-0-83962300-1414973519.jpg

Boat transort

post-14049-0-46852200-1414973539.jpg

Coal staithes

post-14049-0-94273600-1414973555.jpg

Horse and Cart

post-14049-0-40355900-1414973572.jpg

Workmen

post-14049-0-75936700-1414973588.jpg

Pill box (in war time)

post-14049-0-35025700-1414973608.jpg

We must get a Camel train!  Can't let the dragon's have all the limelight though having them next door to us reminded us of home!

post-14049-0-27847100-1414973633.jpg

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Lovely pics thanks Polly - certainly make you wish you'd been there!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks, Jock.  I hope the pics bring a little of it to you.  We had very appreciative and informative audiences on both days, the (eyes-popping-out-of-their-heads) youngsters, especially, seemed torn as to what to view now. let alone next...the parents worn out by the end of it, I shouldn't wonder.

Exhibiting is certainly different to going as a member of the public.  Ray must spend about 70-80% of the time concentrating on what the trains are doing.  I had a longer spell at it yesterday, though I kept tripping up on the controller buttons - Reverse instead of Forward, that sort of thing - but I'll soon pick it up.  We definitely need a Don't Panic sign up on the pill box as someone suggested!  What's different my end is answering the type of questions we usually ask when we're the other side of the barrier. The How did you do it? questions; Where did you get it?; What make is it? How does it work? etc.  I'm that useless at remembering, I've started working on some Fact Sheets to take with us - for me, if anybody.  And, of course, the more you do or add, the more there is to remember!

We also had great support from other exhibitors who gladly shared their knowledge and expertise, or went out of their way to find out information for us.  Absolutely, brilliant.

best wishes

Polly

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Our telegraph pole was replaced yesterday meaning no electricity and the phone line not reconnected until today so got the paint & brushes out while painting figures was still fresh in the mind.

Now  for some loco crews.  The Bachmann 1950s figures are fresh off "The new uniform catwalk."  Looking through various publications there seems to be some variation in colour combinations.  Light overalls and dark overalls with either light or dark jacket; also light and dark hats/caps.  In the few colour photos I've found, the light overalls are more grey than blue, so I painted mine light blue (over a blue-black base colour), then added a faded, worked-in, ingrained coal look.

post-14049-0-52175900-1415220180.jpg

post-14049-0-05306600-1415220206.jpg

There's still more paintwork to do, such as hair, moustache (just one that I can see), ties, shirts, shovels, shoes and some general tidying up (that's where the photos come in handy!). Before I carry on, if there are any issues re the uniforms,  I'd be pleased to hear them.  Better now than when they're stuck in locos.

Comment from Ray (while looking at above pics):  Ah! So, that's where my screwdriver is!

Polly

Late Edit to add missed out word.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Between detailing sessions on the little folk, I've been getting a tar tank ready for the Bradford MRE.(Cleckheaton)

Not sure what it's doing in North Cornwall, but it has SOLD written on it and, apparently, it comes with full documentation.  So says one of the guys in the Goods Shed, anyway.  Rumour has it that it's on it's way to a preservation group.  I mean, who'd want to preserve this old piece of rolling stock?  I ask you!  It's just a '50s craze.  It'll never catch on.

post-14049-0-00088800-1417214386.jpg

post-14049-0-75772200-1417214427.jpg

post-14049-0-90814400-1417215357.jpg

More photos of Camel Quay folk next week if they can stand still long enough.

Polly

Edit: put up wrong image. Now swapped so you have both sides of the tank..

Edited by southern42
  • Like 13

More super work Ray :paint: :locomotive:

Nothing to do with me Neil, all Polly's works. She's a dab hand with the paintbrush.

I've been having a break from modelling recently, sorting out the garden ready for the new shed.

Just been reading through feed an absolutely brilliant layout. Is it going to be at any more exhibitions in the near future?

Phil

Hi Phil,

Next outing is Stafford MRE on 31st Jan - 1st Feb 2015.

http://www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk/exhibition.php

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've been doing up some more white metal folk.  So far this has been more fiddly than taxing until I needed to make ribbons (micro might best describe it ). 

So, as a little tease:

The first of a few clues - but don't take them too literally -

was first aired on Aboretum Valley where I asked Jaz if she had any ideas.

A couple of other clues:

With rings on her fingers

And bells on her toes

She shall have music

Wherever she goes.

Yankee Doodle went to town:

Riding on a pony;:

He stuck a feather in his hat

and called it macaroni.

All will be revealed if when I get those ribbons made.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Bells and ribbons, the first thought that sprung to mind after reading this was morris dancers!

Like it.  Spot on.

:yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: 

Yes, Camel Quay's dancers will be attending a VIP visit.  It's all low key but some of the locals will be out to celebrate while the rest of them get on with their everyday lives.

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now, to put you out of your misery...

There's still plenty of work to finish the Morris Men but here is one, just missing his baldrick (still working on that one!) and handkerchiefs.

post-14049-0-85218700-1417473178.jpg

His ribbons in place before decorating with flowers and greenery (there are times when you wish you were modelling in 0 gauge).

post-14049-0-44003600-1417473205.jpg

And the melodian player complete with feather in his hat.

post-14049-0-16147600-1417473380.jpg

Ribbon was cut from a red plastic bag from the modelling box.  I tried paper first but it just disintegrated.

Length for interest

2 x Tails, 11mm and 14mm

Round the hat and third tail 15mm

I might try the bow at the back of the hat on men who have their backs turned to the viewer or I might just add some more flowers!

Ah! The flowers!  These are Noch flowers and leaves chopped into smaller pieces and superglued onto the hat.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The treatment of Camel Quay's Morris Men was inspired by the story of a very young morris man and the Gloucestershire Morris Men.  Couldn't resist after that.

It is well known that Cornwall has two obby osses, one from Padstow and the other from Penzance.  What is less well known is that Camel Quay has it's own distinctive Cornish black obby oss, too..

The morris figures were from Langley Models so there are features that differ from my chosen prototype but are matched as best I can except for a differently coloured baldrick rosette (inserted after correction from mclong, below)* so we know which group is which.

Langley hats were tall and rounded.  I filed them down flat to make straw hats.

Some figures had a different type of headwear so I put some blutack over them and moulded more straw hats.

The hat of the melodian player was raised and widened in keeping with his Gloucestershire counterpart.

Bells were dry brushed with pearlessence gold ink I had left over from a previous hobby.

Handkerchiefs will be made from tissue paper and doped.

More photos when they're finished.

Polly

* Edit: insert correction.  It seems I was mislead by (several) newpapers reporting the same info.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 4