Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ally Pally Polly,

I took the shots with John's (Old Gringo) camera and as far as I know, he hasn't uploaded them anywhere yet. With me behind the camera, they are probably a load of crap anyway :D

Not to worry. We'll have to wait for some pics, then.  Shall I smile sweetly?  :tender:

And you're probably doing yourself a disservice.  I'm sure they'll be fine brilliant.

Olly Polly Pally

• RMweb Gold

The best performance I saw from the Pink Floyd was at the Colston Hall Bristol must have been about 1970. Astonomy Domine, Careful with that Axe Eugenie, Saucerful of Secrets and Set the controls for the Heart of the Sun. Absolutely brilliant.

Don

Bill

I have decide to go with the DCC concepts rolling road, its ordered, will report on when it gets here & when i've tried it out

Hi Bill

Looks like you made the right choice! Did I really say 'cheapy'? Just out of interest I've had a look at Hornby's website. When I got mine, some years back I should say, it cost me £42 for the rolling road and two sets of spare rollers. Current prices are £58.84 for the road and £17.11 for one pair of spare rollers! Rather 'imaginative' pricing for what is after all, a very basic piece of kit compared to the competition! Who's making them? NASA? To be honest, I have doubts over the companies long-term survival!

Regards

Bill (the other one)

Oi! Bodgit and Botchit!  You weren't doing house extensions round York back in the '90s were you?  Only my bank holiday weekend project came to a screeching halt last night when I found this:

post-6640-0-45484400-1364546409.jpg

Notice the way the wooden lintel (problem no. 1) doesn't quite land on the block work on the left (problem no. 2) and is only just on the block work on the right (problem no. 3).  Not great...

Notice also that lovely stack of bricks on the left which is supporting the lintel...  This bows in two dimensions, and doesn't look entirely solid (problem 4).  

Oh, and that lintel supports 3 trusses, one of which also supports the apex beam of the extension roof (problem no. 5).  I think this is a little bit more DIY than I was wanting to do....  I have however discovered part of the reason for the room being so cold - I can see daylight through the wall in places...

Hmmm... I think I might go and do something easy.  Like a parkside kit ;)

post-6640-0-22459300-1364547123.jpg

This one in fact, a nice Festiniog bogie open coach...

Michael

I can see how that could put a crimp on your DIY plans. :O

Hopefully you can get it sorted out easily enough. But, seeing the photos........................................ :scared:

Looking forward to seeing the coach progress.

Duncan

Oh, it's easy enough, just a case of taking out some of the top row of block work, whipping out the old lintel, inserting a new one, and  bedding it in.  No problem.  Other than making sure the roof doesn't collapse... As you say Duncan  :scared:

Coach is progressing nicely, got the main bits cut out, and almost ready to fit assemble.  Just need my needle files, which are hidden away in the railway room.  Which needs a little bit of a rearrangement so I can get to them.  So, I'll go do that now.  What could possibly go wrong in there... :scratchhead:

Hi Bill

Looks like you made the right choice! Did I really say 'cheapy'? Just out of interest I've had a look at Hornby's website. When I got mine, some years back I should say, it cost me £42 for the rolling road and two sets of spare rollers. Current prices are £58.84 for the road and £17.11 for one pair of spare rollers! Rather 'imaginative' pricing for what is after all, a very basic piece of kit compared to the competition! Who's making them? NASA? To be honest, I have doubts over the companies long-term survival!

Regards

Bill (the other one)

Bill

Yes Hornby's survival does seem to be in doubt, their are numerous posts on this site that highlight the problems they are having, one of the main ones being the inability to source their wares from suppliers in China. I believe they have a couple of suppliers one of them not being very reliable at all and I think the other one also supplies Bachmann which I find worrying.

It would be a sad day if they did go down, its not just Hornby they also own Scalextric, Airfix, Humbrol & Corgi  :declare:

I know we often moan about the cost of our hobby but if they disappear it may open up the market to mainline Europe and I think there prices are even more expensive  :jester:

So we need to Support Hornby............ but I will still be sticking to DCC Concepts for my rolling road  :scratchhead:

I promise to buy an Hornby Steam Loco in May  :friends:

I can imagine transportation to the colonies was a good life move for him... ;)

Well, I can get hold of a new lintel fairly easily, so we'll see what happens...

In other news, I got distracted in my clearing of the railway room by the prospect of a big storage cupboard being available if I just emptied the water from the old hot water tank.  I got 95% of it down the drains  :scratchhead: and it'll soon be dry enough to use!  Hurrah!

I think I should stop before the whole house falls down...

• RMweb Premium

I can honestly say, on behalf of the trusted firm of Bodgit and Botchit, that we had no part in the construction of your roof support, Michael.

Checking back on our records I find that we were creating merry chaos in the Harrogate and Ripon areas, at the time you refer to.

Your photo is also indicative that the "quality" you refer to is not ours. In the 90s we had standardised on NRWJs (non-reinforced wood joists) of half your thickness and we couldn't compete with the finesse of the brickwork shown in your photo.

Thank you for your enquiry.

pp. Bodgit and Botchit,

Reg. Office 69, Cockupsville, London.

• RMweb Gold

One of the pleasures of DIY Michael. I found in an old cottage that someone had sawn through a 9x6 joist supporting a stone wall above to remove half of it to create headroom. Oddly enough the stonework was holding itself up. Sorry  I cannot help gave away the acrojack I had.

Don 

I can honestly say, on behalf of the trusted firm of Bodgit and Botchit, that we had no part in the construction of your roof support, Michael.

Checking back on our records I find that we were creating merry chaos in the Harrogate and Ripon areas, at the time you refer to.

Your photo is also indicative that the "quality" you refer to is not ours. In the 90s we had standardised on NRWJs (non-reinforced wood joists) of half your thickness and we couldn't compete with the finesse of the brickwork shown in your photo.

pp. Bodgit and Botchit,

I think you will find the work in the photo is far to higher quality for Bodgit and Botchit  :no: 

• RMweb Premium

I think you will find the work in the photo is far to higher quality for Bodgit and Botchit  :no: 

Billy - I seem to remember we were working in the Lincoln area for a number of years. Foundations based on Corn Flakes packets, polystyrene, plaster and PVA. RSJs? Forget it!!

Now tell me - where do you live??  :O  :O  :O  :O

pp. Bodgit and Botchit

Jeff - thanks for that, it gave me something to laugh about!

Well, it's been an interesting day...  I've not made much progress on the coach, I kept getting distracted.  Firstly I made a trip round the local builders merchants and finally got a suitable lintel - having asked at the first builders merchant for what I needed, and was then given one that was too weak  :scratchhead: Then on the way home I found there was a new Lego shop on the ring-road, so had to stop to have a look (distraction number two - a Lego Technic Helicopter  :senile: ), then decided that given the wind was blowing away from the houses, I'd have a little bonfire...  

Well, hopefully tomorrow will be a bit less stressful - a day operating at York show.  

I have to admit Duncan, that despite the setbacks, I've actually had quite a good day!

I'll try to get some photos, but you might have to wait till Monday, I'm not sure I'll get away from the layout much tomorrow.

Hi Michael

Love the picture! Reminds me of my last house. When I first viewed it, the owner who was a local builder was very eager to show me the modern, Swedish style fireplace he'd installed in the lounge. To be honest, I wasn't impressed by all the pine, so after I bought the place I decided to get rid of it, especially after I saw the stone arch behind it in my next door neighbours. I set about it intending to open up the arch again and place a cast iron raised fire inside to form an ingle-nook. Unfortunately, the said builder had failed to mention how he'd filled it in. Bricks placed flat, some on edge, some on end seemingly at random with gaps filled in with concrete. There were even some lumps of wood in there. The space behind had been left without a flue with smoke leaving via the hole in the top of the arch. Even worse came when I stripped off the wallpaper above to find that he'd used cement rather than plaster on the wall which came away in lumps to reveal a crack running from the top of the arch to the concrete beam supporting the floor above. The eventual cost came to just under £1500 to have the whole fireplace rebuilt from ground to ceiling! It turned out that the 'gentleman' hadn't moved to where he'd told us he was either, so sadly, no comeback. As they say! Buyer beware!

Bill

pp. Bodgit and Botchit,

Jeff I have references to prove that Bodgit and Botchit were out of the country when the alledged offences took place. in fact we were in Wales building mud huts for the natives ????? :O :no: :nono:

Bodger of Botchit Bodger and Sons

pp. Bodgit and Botchit,

VERY GOOD

Signed, = Ann Onimus :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff I have references to prove that Bodgit and Botchit were out of the country when the alledged offences took place. in fact we were in Wales building mud huts for the natives ????? :O :no: :nono:

Bodger of Botchit Bodger and Sons

No, Andy - the mud huts were in the 1890s - before we served our first prison sentence.... Michael's referring to the 1990s!!

Phew - when I saw that photo of his I thought we'd been sussed! Good job we swore the third member of our company - Bollack - to secrecy by encasing him in that batch of cheap concrete you bought from "Concretesavers". Oops - don't tell anyone!  :secret:  :secret:  :secret:  :secret:

Botchit

No, Andy - the mud huts were in the 1890s - before we served our first prison sentence.... Michael's referring to the 1990s!!

Phew - when I saw that photo of his I thought we'd been sussed! Good job we swore the third member of our company - Bollack - to secrecy by encasing him in that batch of cheap concrete you bought from "Concretesavers". Oops - don't tell anyone!  :secret:  :secret:  :secret:  :secret:

Botchit

I seem to be suffering from Memory Lapse it must be the Drugs, hahhahhehee :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

I told you not to hang around with Syd Barrett when you were doing that job in London in the 60s!!

I always used to think Jimi Hendrix was referring to a sense of scenic perspective when he sang about Purple Haze. Must be the drugs.....haha.....  :O  :O

Anyway, it turned us both to modelling....No RSJs needed there (though there may be a couple hidden under KL to support Lune Fell!!)...

Botchit  :drag:  :drag:  :drag:  :drag:

• RMweb Gold

As there doesn't seem to be many courses of masonry above that lintel I would suggest going for a Catnic. Obviously dearer but lighter and easier to handle. When sizing mine I worked out suitable loadings on the joists and then looked up in the catalogue. Let me know if you need more advice.

Don

Archived