Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

I told you not to hang around with Syd Barrett when you were doing that job in London in the 60s!!

I always used to think Jimi Hendrix was referring to a sense of scenic perspective when he sang about Purple Haze. Must be the drugs.....haha.....  :O  :O

Anyway, it turned us both to modelling....No RSJs needed there (though there may be a couple hidden under KL to support Lune Fell!!)...

Botchit  :drag:  :drag:  :drag:  :drag:

Are you sure its NOT THE PLASTER that is holding the TIMBER UP?

I am now feeling Comfortably Numb, (2 glasses of Black Tower) so going to bed.

GOOD NIGHT ALL :sungum: :stinker:

As there doesn't seem to be many courses of masonry above that lintel I would suggest going for a Catnic. Obviously dearer but lighter and easier to handle. When sizing mine I worked out suitable loadings on the joists and then looked up in the catalogue. Let me know if you need more advice.

Don

Thanks Don.

Strangely I did end up with a Catnic.  There is no masonry above, it's effectively a single leaf, and the load is all point loadings, so metal box was the best solution - and it's what is in the rest of the house...

Well, all the excitement of going to the York show meant I was awake not long after 5am, and up by six.  So an hour building some more of the helicopter, and about the same on the coach, and now it's time to get ready to rumble to leave...

• RMweb Premium

Completely off topic here, but it looks like myself and Bacup may be heading North soon as Sofia has a job offer in Leeds. As such, you chaps up there may get the chance to see what I have chucked together, and the possibility of popping round to Jeff's to constructively criticise his hard work in person will be a possibility :)

Seriously though Jeff, I love what you are doing and am mightily impressed with your progress, which to an extent is why I add my thoughts so often. When something this good is being created, it is worth making comments. Larry and a few others have added comments onto my thread which have made me think about things differently and I am always grateful. Even the Chimney Pot Debacle of 2012 :D

• RMweb Premium

Completely off topic here, but it looks like myself and Bacup may be heading North soon as Sofia has a job offer in Leeds. As such, you chaps up there may get the chance to see what I have chucked together, and the possibility of popping round to Jeff's to constructively criticise his hard work in person will be a possibility :)

Seriously though Jeff, I love what you are doing and am mightily impressed with your progress, which to an extent is why I add my thoughts so often. When something this good is being created, it is worth making comments. Larry and a few others have added comments onto my thread which have made me think about things differently and I am always grateful. Even the Chimney Pot Debacle of 2012 :D

Thanks Jason - I value your comments extremely highly and I'd be horrified if you didn't continue to give me your considered opinion!

As I've said on numerous occasions, the progress I've made is very much down to the Lunesters.

It would be great for you if you can get back "up North". Leeds is a smashing city - I went to uni there - and a lot of the Lunesters are in the locale. Could you continue to work for Merrill Lynch in the same capacity? I can imagine you doing a weekly commute down to London (notice the word "down")...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like we're getting back on to the topic of a Lunester meet sometime in the future  :senile:

It would be straightforward if there was a Member's Day in the summer. No word on that, as far as I'm aware....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Job shouldn't really be an issue and I could always motor over the Pennines to the Chester office if needs be; I really don't mind long drives at all. Leeds is the wrong side of the Pennines to where I would like to be but my brother lives across there in Boston Spa and I have quite a few mountain biking mates in the vicinity (as well as two ex-girlfriends, Sofia knows of one of them!!!). Lot of decent biking around there whereas at the moment it involves a fair old drive to get anywhere decent - been down to the Surrey Hills near Guildford today for instance.

What I keep thinking though, is that if I get somewhere with an integral garage, it will be much easier to work on the layout, I can put proper backscenes up, as well as lighting, and maybe extend beyond the station to include a few more buildings :)

I wasn't keen on leaving the Lakes to move to Croydon but ended up loving it; I didn't really want to move to Oxford but have enjoyed it so another move to another city can only be a good thing.

• RMweb Premium

Job shouldn't really be an issue and I could always motor over the Pennines to the Chester office if needs be; I really don't mind long drives at all. Leeds is the wrong side of the Pennines to where I would like to be but my brother lives across there in Boston Spa and I have quite a few mountain biking mates in the vicinity (as well as two ex-girlfriends, Sofia knows of one of them!!!). Lot of decent biking around there whereas at the moment it involves a fair old drive to get anywhere decent - been down to the Surrey Hills near Guildford today for instance.

What I keep thinking though, is that if I get somewhere with an integral garage, it will be much easier to work on the layout, I can put proper backscenes up, as well as lighting, and maybe extend beyond the station to include a few more buildings :)

I wasn't keen on leaving the Lakes to move to Croydon but ended up loving it; I didn't really want to move to Oxford but have enjoyed it so another move to another city can only be a good thing.

It'd be good to have you somewhere "in the vicinity". And you'd be more than welcome to come and play with KL!!

I've put a "sketch" of something on KL - based on what you said, along with contributions from Peter and Derek. Feel free to rip into it!

Jeff

Eeee... that were a long day.  7 1/2 hours of show, with only one 15 minute break.  Glad to be home and sat down.  Did manage to procure some 21T hopper wagons, with EM wheels, and some more 009 kits...  Just realised I don't have any EM gauge track.  Ooops...

Must be time to do some painting.  Or something...

• RMweb Premium

Last I heard about the member's day from Andy was that he was thinking of putting something bigger and better on, but it wouldn't be till later on in the year...

"Good things come to those that wait...."  You might all have the dubious pleasure of meeting Bodgit and Botchit....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy told me that there is unlikely to be a members day this year, but suggested that we could all descend on a show and meet up instead. On that subject, Peterborough would be a good one, not much further a drive than Stafford for those on the dry side, RMWeb will of course be there and it's likely that I will be there with the BCB team again (it seems my rather crude conversation and jokes haven't put them off :)). I might just be guest operating Mark's Foundry Lane at Bracknell for an hour or so, which may be a ploy to swing me to liking BR Blue (never going to happen :D)

Andy told me that there is unlikely to be a members day this year, but suggested that we could all descend on a show and meet up instead. On that subject, Peterborough would be a good one, not much further a drive than Stafford for those on the dry side, RMWeb will of course be there and it's likely that I will be there with the BCB team again (it seems my rather crude conversation and jokes haven't put them off :)). I might just be guest operating Mark's Foundry Lane at Bracknell for an hour or so, which may be a ploy to swing me to liking BR Blue (never going to happen :D)

Meeting up at a meet / exhibition would seem a good proposal. like you say Peterborough would be fairly good, it is quite central.

• RMweb Premium

Peterborough is a possibility I need to find out out when it is.

Bodgit

Does anyone know when the Peterborough show is? If the date's ok, I'm game. I can probably rope Al in, if he's not working.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hey all, I have just added the FIRST GRASS on Glenfinick, :O  Sorry Jeff :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

I saw what appeared to be grass mats around the Lodge where Lord Glenvulture lives. But GRASS, Andy!!? Next thing, you'll be suggesting I build an aqueduct!

I'll pop over to G and have a look.

Btw, it's MORE woodwork tomorrow to adjust what I adjusted yesterday.....

If anyone knows the Peterborough date, will you post it please?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Went on the Welsh Highland Railway today.  It was just like going through KL - it looked as though Jeff had been let loose with the plaster again.  Only difference is that there's some grass vegetation around - the sun came out and exposed it.   So there you go, Jeff - get some sunshine in that Bunker of yours.   :sungum:

Photo.  If you look carefully you can just about make out the terminus of the Snowdon Railway and the Snowdon Mountain Cafe alongside but no trains. :no:

post-14049-0-97814000-1364679875.jpg

There was so much snow on the Snowdon Railway they didn't manage to clear the line to run at all this weekend.  Such a shame.

http://www.snowdonrailway.co.uk/news_detail.php?id=93

Travelling Lune

Archived