Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

There doesn't seem to have been a lot of activity on the Forum this morning. I've only just signed in - was the site down for a fair while for maintenance?

Hopefully there'll be more to read later. I've just got in from the dentist - so it's time for coffee (of course) and some wood-cutting.

Jeff

I had problems earlier on and had to clear the browsing data as I kept getting logged out between pages. It took me three goes to post something this morning and at that point you just give up.

It seems OK now though, fingers crossed.

There was an issue mid morning, but it got fixed quite quickly...  I've been busy catching up while things compile at work...

For those that have used an airbrush, any good tips for someone learning how to use one?  (I would say re-learning, but I'm not sure I ever got to grips with it when I first got it...)

Michael

The only thing I can suggest is if you read what other people have written, remember that most of them use an airbrush regularly.

My bit of advice. Practice. That includes mixing ratios for different makes and colours of paint. Don't forget to write down what works for you. ALWAYS try every change on some scrap material. Don't ruin your locos and rolling stock if you can help it.

I have a knackered cabose to try out my different paints and mixes, then just strip it down using dettol.

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

Any Lunester going to the York show over the hols? I'll be there Monday with "soon to be SWMBO" but we still have separate bank and credit card accounts so that will be ok!

Jonathon, I'll be there all day Saturday and Monday - probably behind "Waterhouses and Longnor" staring bemusedly at the control panels.  Do say hello if you make it to the top floor.  I think aberdare is intending to be there on Monday too.

• RMweb Gold

Jonathon, I'll be there all day Saturday and Monday - probably behind "Waterhouses and Longnor" staring bemusedly at the control panels.  Do say hello if you make it to the top floor.  I think aberdare is intending to be there on Monday too.

• RMweb Gold

Oooo, the L&M my favourite NG railway. Only lived 5 miles from Hulme End and spent many happy hours on the old track bed. I have a an 009 L&M loco and hope to have am L&M inspired layout sometime.

• RMweb Gold

Just did a scan through some of my recent photos with a range of results

Sheffield Park little difference between rail and sleepers but Horstead Keynes shows orangy rust on rails and darker sleepers.

Bodiam similar to HK

Wootton dark rail and very faded sleepers somewhat greyish.

I know this is on preserved lines where a different maintenance routine may be in force but it does suggest that there may be differences in different places or the weather at the time made the difference. But I think you cannot be prescriptive.

I haven't posted the photos to avoid cluttering the thread

Don

Are any of you Lunesters out there using ROLLING ROADS for running in, maintenance, DCC set up etc.  :declare:

How are you getting on with them, any issues, any good

I am thinking of purchasing DCC Concepts version http://www.dccconcepts.com/index_files/DCCconceptsRollingRoads.htm

Any comments gratefully received

Hi Duncan.

I have one of the DCC Concepts rolling roads, works very well, but it only comes with 4 sets of rollers. Ok for most locos, especially diesels/emu's but could do with another set for large steamers. Spacers are supplied for all 4mm gauges so that's a bonus if you work with more than one, I.e. 00 and EM. I also have a Hornby rolling road which is better for steamers where the decoder is in the tender but only in 00. Extra rollers for the DCC Concepts version would overcome this problem.

Been thinking about your order of doing the track Jeff, and wondering why you lay ballast before painting, as surely it is a hell of a lot more difficult to paint the sleepers once the ballast is down (as in, for consistency, it will be impossible). 

It's for that reason that I sprayed the track first with an overall covering of Sleeper Grime, to get that base layer down before painting rails and chairs as the other way round, you'd end up with sleeper colour overspray on your rail sides and chairs unless once again, you painted each sleeper by hand (which would be akin to counting every grain of sand on a beach).

Another advantage to spraying with Sleeper Grime first is that it leaves an ok base layer in case any areas of ballast become bare.

Now get on the Howes site, get ordering your spray cans of Railmatch's Finest and get to it :D

Jason, I have NEVER found a Railmatch rattle can I can empty yet, They always clog and are impossible to clear and so end up in the bin,

Now using an Air Brush

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm... another wednesday evening at archery club, another 2 1/2 hours spent there, and another evening when I didn't get to shoot at all :(

Time to cook dinner then get all caught up...

Why no shooting, Michael? I'd find that very frustrating!

Just like the last 2 days where I seem to have managed about 3 hours in the bunker due to other commitments. Going in there now.

Btw, I've made a note of all the sleepers I need to fill-in - there are quite a few!!

Jeff

Why no shooting, Michael? I'd find that very frustrating!

Just like the last 2 days where I seem to have managed about 3 hours in the bunker due to other commitments. Going in there now.

Btw, I've made a note of all the sleepers I need to fill-in - there are quite a few!!

Jeff

As well as an archer, I'm a coach.  I keep getting asked to help, and I'm not selfish enough to say no...  Tonight was another go at sorting out a young lad who's getting very frustrated that his shooting isn't going well, managed to make quite a big step forward, we now know what the problem has been.

Good - you just need to get on and fit them now ;)

NEWS FLASH

The Tutbury Jinny at Tutbury near Burton on Trent was broken into last night so if anyone sees NEW or late used Bachmann being offered cheap then please phone Barry at the Tutbury Jinny.

Things that he knows have gone include the following unboxed from the display cabinet

Bachmann 66 Freightliner

Bachmann 66   DRS

Bachmann 66 GBRF

Bachmann 57 Arriva Trains Wales

Bachmann 57 First Great Western

Bachmann 25 Green

Bachmann 08 Intercity

Bachmann 45 in the strange Blue with the white roof

Vi Trains 37 Dutch

Heljan 87 Intercity

New Boxed

2 x Dapol Westerns in Blue

Bachmann 04 ?

Bachmann 7f?

also a few other NEW Bachmann steam but as customers mover them around he is not to sure which ones are in the final total as yet.

If you here of anything PLEASE HELP, AND ALSO WARN ANY TRADERS YOU DEAL WITH IN CASE THEY ARE OFFERED ANY OF THESE.

Andy

Are any of you Lunesters out there using ROLLING ROADS for running in, maintenance, DCC set up etc.  :declare:

I am thinking of purchasing DCC Concepts version http://www.dccconcepts.com/index_files/DCCconceptsRollingRoads.htm

I use a Bachrus one - DCCconcepts wasn't available at the time I bought mine. 

http://www.bachrus.com/

I ordered mine direct from the supplier Canada, and had no issues at all.

Here it is under my P2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ol7UauGBPg

A nicely built piece of kit - and very hand to have on your bench when building a loco and installing a decoder.

Scott

Not going to York show unfortunately Michael, I'm all exhibitioned out for the time being.

As a side note, the archery harness thing you are wearing in your avatar looks like a gigantic one-sided bra :D

Hummmm! Hadn't actually spotted that Jason! Michael W - railway modeller, all-round stout fellow and now, apparantly devout Amazon. :)

Hi Billy. I use the 'cheapy' one from Hornby which does the job very well! Adding a few extra rollers for 8-coupled/10-coupled locos and tenders with pick-ups still works out cheaper than a lot of the competition. The only downside is that the rollers are adjusted individually on each side so line them up with a small square to avoid wobbly locos.

Another tip: You can also use one for weathering to avoid that banded/shadowed area look on wheels and motion. Just set up the loco, plug in and let the wheels revolve slowly as you apply fine coats. No stripping the rods and motion off, no seizing through overpainting and job done in seconds! Shield the base from overspray and chuck the rollers into a jar of white spirit then wipe down.

There was an issue mid morning, but it got fixed quite quickly...  I've been busy catching up while things compile at work...

For those that have used an airbrush, any good tips for someone learning how to use one?  (I would say re-learning, but I'm not sure I ever got to grips with it when I first got it...)

Have a look at 'Airbrushing for Railway Modellers' by George Dent, informative,written in an easily understood manner and full of useful tips to make life easier!

Bill

Hi Billy. I use the 'cheapy' one from Hornby which does the job very well! Adding a few extra rollers for 8-coupled/10-coupled locos and tenders with pick-ups still works out cheaper than a lot of the competition. The only downside is that the rollers are adjusted individually on each side so line them up with a small square to avoid wobbly locos.

Another tip: You can also use one for weathering to avoid that banded/shadowed area look on wheels and motion. Just set up the loco, plug in and let the wheels revolve slowly as you apply fine coats. No stripping the rods and motion off, no seizing through overpainting and job done in seconds! Shield the base from overspray and chuck the rollers into a jar of white spirit then wipe down.

Bill

I have decide to go with the DCC concepts rolling road, its ordered, will report on when it gets here & when i've tried it out

• RMweb Premium

Going back a few posts re: Ally Pally, were you operating Kinmundy on the Saturday at Ally Pally, Polly?

If so, you may have seen me when I brought round the Captain's Cortina to get a photo of it on all the 4mm (and 3.5mm) layouts at the show; I predominately talked to Martin but there were quite a few people stood and sat behind the layout at the time.

• RMweb Premium

Going back a few posts re: Ally Pally, were you operating Kinmundy on the Saturday at Ally Pally, Polly?

If so, you may have seen me when I brought round the Captain's Cortina to get a photo of it on all the 4mm (and 3.5mm) layouts at the show; I predominately talked to Martin but there were quite a few people stood and sat behind the layout at the time.

Hi Jason,

Ray remembers the Cortina on the embankment by the bridge being photographed.  I guess I was at the fiddleyard end or sorting the coffees - oblivious to all else (?)

Sorry I 'missed' you. 

Have you posted the photo anywhere?

Ally Pally Polly

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ally Pally Polly,

I took the shots with John's (Old Gringo) camera and as far as I know, he hasn't uploaded them anywhere yet. With me behind the camera, they are probably a load of crap anyway :D

Archived