Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

I've just glanced at the Today's top Posters.... Duncan 25, Me 22, Andy 20, Billy 18.... the next 11....

The other Forum members must wonder what the hell's going on as there's always a couple of us up at the top.

They probably think we post nothing but rubbish - which IS often true!

Jeff

You can't mean me when you say rubbish , :O                 can you? :no: :no:

• RMweb Premium

Rubbish?

Come on, Lunesters. Where's the PC talk?  You mean recycling - ideas and knowledge - otherwise called "brainstorming".

Aka enjoyment, fun, a good laugh - the beginning of knowledge - at least that's what I was taught in the 70s - but did I get it wrong? :jester:

Quizzical Lune

• RMweb Gold

When you read the lunster threads it is just like a group of friends having a good natter - surely one of best things in life friendship. There seems to be very little in the way of bitching or back stabbing unlike some other threads, so rubbish or not, I like being a Lunester. Besides in between the banter there is some good solid advice given, what's not to like.

Don

When you read the lunster threads it is just like a group of friends having a good natter - surely one of best things in life friendship. There seems to be very little in the way of bitching or back stabbing unlike some other threads, so rubbish or not, I like being a Lunester. Besides in between the banter there is some good solid advice given, what's not to like.

Don

Well put that man. :sungum:  :sungum: :sungum:  :sungum:  

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Don

Don - I think your comment is spot on.

I used the term "rubbish" in the derogatory way that, no doubt, some others (I expect a small minority) reading the thread would remark about all the "filler" between the modelling.

I'll be blunt here - without all the filler - the camaraderie, humour, banter, general chit-chat etc - there would be NO KL and, I suspect, a few other Lunesters wouldn't have made so much progress.

To be honest, everyone who has contacted me has either stayed on to become a Lunester, or passed complimentary remarks. The whole collection of Lunester threads - rubbish and not-rubbish - is a major force on this Forum....AND IT'S NOT GOING TO CHANGE!!

Jeff

Well said Jeff!  Whilst there are periods when the posts can get a little tedious off-topic, the rest more than makes up for it.  Certainly there is plenty of helpful stuff on here and KL.  The result of a recent conversation is here:

post-6640-0-14131300-1364770551.jpg

In best australian "Can you tell what it is yet?" ;)

Is it wrong that this is the third kit I've started in the past 24 hours or so?  (Though I've been stymied on a couple of them - no superglue (how did I manage that?  :scratchhead: ) for one, and the other is waiting for paint to dry before I carry on)

• RMweb Premium

Superglue? I use Mek-Pak (or Mek-Pakistan as my iPad spell-checker wants to call it :) )

You seem to be doing a fine job there Michael. They take a wee bit of filing to get the hopper components to match up perfectly, don't they?

Kits are definitely addictive, wish I had bought a few more at Ally Pally the other week, although I do have a couple of Cambrian Salmon bogie bolsters to build. No real space for them yet though, so I may leave them until after the (possible) move to Leeds.

• RMweb Gold

It is not the starting of kits that is the problem it is the finishing of them. I know I have quite a few waiting to be finished but the prospect of starting a new one is so aluring.....

Don

Superglue? I use Mek-Pak (or Mek-Pakistan as my iPad spell-checker wants to call it :) )

You seem to be doing a fine job there Michael. They take a wee bit of filing to get the hopper components to match up perfectly, don't they?

Kits are definitely addictive, wish I had bought a few more at Ally Pally the other week, although I do have a couple of Cambrian Salmon bogie bolsters to build. No real space for them yet though, so I may leave them until after the (possible) move to Leeds.

Ah, even for metal to plastic Jason?  It probably would be easier to use.

Thank you - yes, I've been taking a bit of care with it, and it seems to have worked out alright.  The lower sides did seem to come out a bit short, but a bit of encouragement with plenty of plasti-weld seems to have sorted that out.

I'd have a count up of kits to build (I seem to have a lot of 10+ year old ones, from before uni) but I'm not sure I can count that high.  (And the count of kits to be finished isn't far short...)

Oh well, off for another day at York.  Hopefully not operating all day today, so may get some photos...

• RMweb Premium

Ah, I thought you were alluding to using Superglue for the whole kit, hence my surprise :). Deffo use it for metal to plastic (for the handrails).

Have fun again at York. No shows or modelling for me this weekend, went biking on Saturday (and realised just how much I've missed messing around in the woods with mates recently; helped that the trails were almost dry for the first time in months) and spending/spent the other days with Sofia.

Well said Jeff!  Whilst there are periods when the posts can get a little tedious off-topic, the rest more than makes up for it.  Certainly there is plenty of helpful stuff on here and KL.  The result of a recent conversation is here:

attachicon.gifbody.jpg

In best australian "Can you tell what it is yet?" ;)

Is it wrong that this is the third kit I've started in the past 24 hours or so?  (Though I've been stymied on a couple of them - no superglue (how did I manage that?  :scratchhead: ) for one, and the other is waiting for paint to dry before I carry on)

Is it a WW2 landing craft  :jester:

Thought not  :no:

I too am about to get in kit building mode (well in a couple of days)  :stinker:

As a result of discussions on the various Lunester threads about wagon kits, Kadee couplers & weathering the postman arrived on Saturday morning bringing me a few of each of these items, without the chat, banter and the  encouragement of my fellow Lunesters I would not even of contemplated building my own or having a go mself,  :O

It's what the Lunester community is all about  :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

As a result of discussions on the various Lunester threads about wagon kits, Kadee couplers & weathering the postman arrived on Saturday morning bringing me a few of each of these items, without the chat, banter and the  encouragement of my fellow Lunesters I would not even of contemplated building my own or having a go mself,  :O

It's what the Lunester community is all about  :locomotive:

Good to hear this - you have an interested observer here! Make sure you tell us of your experiences - with a few pics if possible!

Jeff

Jeff's just PM'd me to say that he's moving to Barrow and thus will be scrapping KL.

Rather a pity with all the work and effort he's put into it thus far, but he tells me that the new location he's modelling, set in the Fens rather than the Fells, will entail less scenic work and will be completed within a year.

• RMweb Premium

I think we Ray made up for that, Jason.... Dining table back in use.... :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff's just PM'd me to say that he's moving to Barrow and thus will be scrapping KL.

Rather a pity with all the work and effort he's put into it thus far, but he tells me that the new location he's modelling, set in the Fens rather than the Fells, will entail less scenic work and will be completed within a year.

Started work on the Fens project at 9am. 8' x 4' 12mm ply baseboard. Liberally coated in PVA. Liberally coated in grass flock. Drying. Layout completed, 11.20am.....

Peter, you are a wit! Good one!

Btw, totally different thing....

Anyone know where Jim Wright-Smith of Birmingham New Street fame has gone? Both he and his marvellous layout have disappeared off the Forum.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

He posted something on P4 New Street.

Here's the link http://www.p4newstreet.com/a-temporary-statement-about-rmweb.html

Duncan

Duncan - thanks for that.

I was scanning through the layout section today, and by the time I got to page 10 and hadn't found New Street I realised something was odd.

Makes you wonder what goes on in the background!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure because I may be thinking about the wrong Jim but ones of the Jim's was reacting to someone else's posting and got an unfavourable response from others including Andy Y. If so he may have quit the forum. Rather sad if that is the case. Cut to one of those U-tube mashes - Michael Winner saying  "Calm down dear its only Model Railways" :nono: :jester: :senile:

Don

• RMweb Premium

I suppose it's a lot to expect 19,000 people (approximate number of members on the Forum) to all tow the same line, indefinitely, without there being friction. From my observations, there is an enormous amount of latitude given on here. I'm aware of 3 "high profile" members who've now upped and left, for whatever the reason. 

Nevermind, the Lunesters shall continue to plough on in their own imicable style.

Jeff

I suppose it's a lot to expect 19,000 people (approximate number of members on the Forum) to all tow the same line, indefinitely, without there being friction. From my observations, there is an enormous amount of latitude given on here. I'm aware of 3 "high profile" members who've now upped and left, for whatever the reason. 

Nevermind, the Lunesters shall continue to plough on in their own imicable style.

Jeff

I AM STILL HERE BOSS :no: sorry about that, :O  I have just got back from the Club and posted a few pics on KL, I hope you don't mind, BUT tuff cookies if you do, :stinker:  hahahaa

• RMweb Premium

I AM STILL HERE BOSS :no: sorry about that, :O  I have just got back from the Club and posted a few pics on KL, I hope you don't mind, BUT tuff cookies if you do, :stinker:  hahahaa

They were good photos Andy - that kind of stuff is always good to look at! Looks like you've been having a lot of fun away from all the stuff you do at home.

How big is the club layout - I'm assuming it's 00?

Btw, KL has just gone through 100,000 views.....YIPPEE!!!  :sungum:  :sungum:

Jeff

There do seem to be more toy/pram incidents occuring these days than there used to be.  I wonder if the continued growth of the site has something to do with it - more people being members will mean more scope for antagonism.  And some people just seem to be on here to be difficult...  Ho hum.

Well, finished at York, and home by 6, so not a bad day, managed a couple of hours or so wandering round, emptying my wallet as I went.  A few more kits (Mr Hastie is starting to say hello when I come near his stand), a few useful tools, plenty of glue (super, mek-pak, and solder) and a T-Gauge HST.  (Oh, and that air-brushing book some one recommended - thank you it looks really good!)

Oh well, stomach says time for food (it feels like chicken tonight), but it's far too bright and sunny for it to be dinner time, surely!

They were good photos Andy - that kind of stuff is always good to look at! Looks like you've been having a lot of fun away from all the stuff you do at home.

How big is the club layout - I'm assuming it's 00?

Btw, KL has just gone through 100,000 views.....YIPPEE!!!  :sungum:  :sungum:

Jeff

Hi Jeff congrattsssss on 1000,00000,0000 VIEWS.

whoops to many 0000000000000000

The club layout is 41ft x 12ft and the other side is a double track mainline, it is built as an I Island so the public can walk all around and and therefore forms two ;layouts in one

Bodgit

Archived