Hornby supply and demand gremlins.

brushman47544

Well  I was  close  to  Chester  this  morning returning  home  from a  Job in Cheshire  Oaks ( Ellesmere  Port)  and when  I came  to  the  roundabout  where  the  first  exit leads to Chester  I went  round  3  times,   and  then  with  great  determination  headed  back  home!!

I am not  daft it would  have  cost  me  around £3 to park in Chester!! :scratchhead:

Once upon a time, many, many years ago I lived in Chester and then on Halkyn Mountain.

Is the Model Zone still in that little arcade opposite the Cathedral and next to the Town Hall ?

Modelzone Norwich had the SR version this morning. Looked fantastic but there didn't appear to be a queue of eager buyers! Hornby have said that the BR version likely to be distributed about 10 days after the SR version. A similar pattern of release to the SR version perhaps?

Once upon a time, many, many years ago I lived in Chester and then on Halkyn Mountain.

Is the Model Zone still in that little arcade opposite the Cathedral and next to the Town Hall ?

The MZ store  is in the premises of the Arts & Crafts Centre who sold out to MZ some years back now  the  MZ manager was the owner of Arts & Crafts ( shrewd move??)

The location now is on  one of the  ROWS levels, Arts and Crafts had moved from their original  location in the centre of the grosvenor Precinct a couple of years before they sold to MZ.

I think the shop you refer to may have been WALTONS of ALTRINCHAM branch in Chester  which closed  quite a few years  ago

• RMweb Gold

I'm probably being thick but

MZ aren't going to be the only outlet for the 2-BIL's surely ?????????????????????????

What seems to be happening is that the 2-BILs have landed - or at least the SR, DCC-ready version - and Hornby have advertised them on their website at, naturally, RRP. Almost simultaneously the stock has appeared on the MZ website and in their shops. No other retailer has yet been identified as having stocks. We believe distribution to the trade begins this week. Thus Hornby and MZ have the bragging rights on what is seen as a hot model, and may well sell to those who just have to have the first model in their club/circle/what-have-you. I am not aware of any previous obvious disparity in availability date between Hornby's website and key box-shifters.

MZ aren't going to be the only outlet for the 2-BIL's surely ?????????????????????????

No  its  just  that MZ  are a Hornby concession  outlet  and  have  received  stocks of the SR livery  before any other retailer, but they are selling at fullRRP (aprox UK£125)

Other UK retilers are expecting delivery of all liveries pretty soon  and the price will be more attractive!

Incidentally The MZ owned store trading as the SIGNAL BOX in Kent   do not have  stocks as of today, although owned by MZ they  do not trade as a Hornby concession store

I bl**dy well hope not !!.....This is beginning to smell !!...

Time to calm down me thinks, as many of us here (including me) have ordered our 2BILs form one of the large "box shifters" which Hornby rely on for a lot of their business so we will get them

I bet by the end of next week we will most likely all have our 2BILs and then we move onto the to the nit-picking stage which will ensure this threads survival for a very long time to come I am sure! :sarcastichand:

XF

Cheers Chaps

Just didn't want to get caught out - have a SR Green version for repaint with FYE on order with the Mersey Boys, just waiting for the wallet to cool in the fridge after that Class 31 (which is more than worth the recent wet & cold hours of Saturday nights to pay for it)

• RMweb Gold

I've just received a newsletter from Hornby which tells me that all versions of the 2Bil are now available from their webite. So when can I expect to receive the models I pre-ordered from my selected dealer?

• RMweb Gold

So the BR version and that from the NRM are now available from the Hornby website. How long to wait now for non concessions to receive stock - anybody know anything?

The Model Railways Direct website says the BR versions will be available from next Monday, 11th Feb.

Recent changes on the Hornby trade website indicate the "Next Arrival into Hornby" for the 2-BIL units are as follows. This usually indicates when they will be released to us.

R3161      week beginning 18th February

R3162      week beginning 25th February (digital fitted one week beginning 18th)

R3177      week beginning 4th March

Considering that the models appear to be at Margate, as a trader this is unacceptable! I hope that the newly input information is very wrong!

Recent changes on the Hornby trade website indicate the "Next Arrival into Hornby" for the 2-BIL units are as follows. This usually indicates when they will be released to us.

R3161      week beginning 18th February

R3162      week beginning 25th February (digital fitted one week beginning 18th)

R3177      week beginning 4th March

Considering that the models appear to be at Margate, as a trader this is unacceptable! I hope that the newly input information is very wrong!

Why is this unaacceptable?  From the announcement of the 2BIL to being available to the "Traders" has to be one of Hornby's quickest releases!

XF

Got Hornby's newsletter last night. Both the remaining 2-BILs are now available. The BR version and the NRM version. So now all 3 are available to buy from their website. Also Hornby added 3 pictures of the Sentinel Shunters. All the painted samples. Look absolutely amazing!! Will start full production as soon as the livery samples are cleared by the marketing team.

Jeremiah.

I understand the frustration, but no one complains when Apple releases a new iPhone or iPad through Apple shops when other Apple retailers (such as John Lewis) have to wait a little longer for stock. Apple occasionally rations very popular items when it doesn't have enough in the country to cover existing orders. I'm sure that the Hornby 2Bil will be in retailers' hands very soon*\;-))

mal

I understand the frustration, but no one complains when Apple releases a new iPhone or iPad through Apple shops when other Apple retailers (such as John Lewis) have to wait a little longer for stock. Apple occasionally rations very popular items when it doesn't have enough in the country to cover existing orders. I'm sure that the Hornby 2Bil will be in retailers' hands very soon*\;-))

mal

That isn't really a fair comparison, given that iPhones are contiunally produced (Until upgraded) and the market is massively bigger.

It is something to be frustrated about when you have a livelihood and those of your staff to protect, and you see your competetive advantage being removed in a stroke because the supplier decides to give the concessions a two/three week advantage on new product.

All the customers see is that the concession can supply, and you can't, therefore, in their mind you must be

rubbish/not paying your bills/ in trouble/incompetent* (*delete as appropriate). 

The customer does not see the commercial reasoning, as the delay in shipment to independent retailers is not communicated to the customer (Or the retailer for that matter)  The potential customer will only see that you don't have what they want.  So damaging not only your bottom line, but reputation as well.

If Modelzone want to be competetive, they should do so through being GENUINELY competetive and not through obtaining unfair advantages from suppliers.  If they want exclusivity of distribution, they should stick to commissioning exclusive models.

mal

Does  an APPLE  SHOP have  a  fascia  reading  APPLE?

But Modelzone dont have Hornby on their  fascia, do they??

• RMweb Gold

None of us will see your reputation as being compromised in any way,Gareth. I can only conclude that Hornby are undergoing a crisis of identity at this moment in time. We can only hope that a more optimistic outlook lies ahead when this muddle is resolved.On the day that the government are calling upon High Street traders to re-invent themselves----a joke,is it not ? Maybe you could hire Mary Portas......Meanwhile,may better fortune attend you.

• RMweb Gold

None of us will see your reputation as being compromised in any way,Gareth. I can only conclude that Hornby are undergoing a crisis of identity at this moment in time. We can only hope that a more optimistic outlook lies ahead when this muddle is resolved.On the day that the government are calling upon High Street traders to re-invent themselves----a joke,is it not ? Maybe you could hire Mary Portas......Meanwhile,may better fortune attend you.

I really feel for you Gareth and all the retailers who are watching this Hornby marketing disaster unfold. Those of us on RMweb will understand but others will not and Hornby's behaviour undermines the business of any model shop that serves its local modelling community. I have all three versions on order with my usual high street based supplier, I don't know if he will be sent enough to cover my order, even though I ordered them over the phone within five minutes of the news appearing on Hornby's website. I must admit I am getting very irritated by the Modelzone/Hornby adverts appearing on RMweb telling me I can have all three tomorrow! I've been asking Hornby, both via email and by face to face conversations with Simon and Hornby reps, to bring this out for years but frankly I want to support my local shop owner and will not buy one directly from either Hornby or Modelzone. Bilious Godfrey

I really feel for you Gareth and all the retailers who are watching this Hornby marketing disaster unfold. Those of us on RMweb will understand but others will not and Hornby's behaviour undermines the business of any model shop that serves its local modelling community. I have all three versions on order with my usual high street based supplier, I don't know if he will be sent enough to cover my order, even though I ordered them over the phone within five minutes of the news appearing on Hornby's website. I must admit I am getting very irritated by the Modelzone/Hornby adverts appearing on RMweb telling me I can have all three tomorrow! I've been asking Hornby, both via email and by face to face conversations with Simon and Hornby reps, to bring this out for years but frankly I want to support my local shop owner and will not buy one directly from either Hornby or Modelzone. Bilious Godfrey

I am in the same position, I think the ,release of this model is bringing two new Train-packs to Hornby's 2013 releases;  The Dealer Relations Train-wreck pack   and the Public Relations Train-Wreck pack.

I also share the irritation of Modelzone's advertisement flashing up on this site.

I am not worried if I get my Models this week, next week or art some stage in the future but the way Hornby have treated their loyal dealer network is beneath contempt.

• RMweb Gold

I am in the same position, I think the ,release of this model is bringing two new Train-packs to Hornby's 2013 releases;  The Dealer Relations Train-wreck pack   and the Public Relations Train-Wreck pack.

I also share the irritation of Modelzone's advertisement flashing up on this site.

I am not worried if I get my Models this week, next week or art some stage in the future but the way Hornby have treated their loyal dealer network is beneath contempt.

A very reasonable view from where we sit as hobbyists - but Hornby shareholders will be delighted that Hornby are taking steps to screw max profit out of every item in the container. Ethics are among the first casualties in a recession.

Archived