Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

On the signalling, might it be possible that Millers Dale was on the edge of a resignalling scheme so that one end was colour light, controlled from a powerbox maybe? The other end could still be semaphore, maybe controlled locally? One for the signalling experts to give an idea of probability really

I'm not an expert but here goes...

What you describe sounds like the change from Absolute Block to Track Circuit Block. In this case you may not even be aware of the change from one to another. My box works AB on the mains one way and TCB the other and AB round onto a branch. As the mode of signalling changes on the mainline, the avergae enthusiast wouldn't realise that the box wasn't just as it had been for years. The first semi-auto colour light are some distance from the box - on a layout they probably would be some way off the scenic section. Other boxes I know offer a similar impression where the immediate area appears all traditional semaphores and only further away do colour lights take over.

The nice solution maybe a mechanical box still working but have mostly semaphores with the odd signal replaced by a newer colour for variety? The box next to me had its section signal, a semaphore, repalced with a colour after the original blew down in a storm!

That could well be an interesting solution James. Keep the semaphores for the locations that remain true to the original trackplan and then where remodelling has taken place, loop and bay, add colour lights as the signals were replaced. Would that work in model form or am I gonna get a load of finger pointers giving it this  :nono: at exhibitions?   :jester:

Cav

• Like 1

Think I may give the names a go following a test print into paper. The graphic is taken directly from an actual photo of the name and seems to have printed OK with a little tweakage. This is just on normal paper so the ink has bled a little but would be cut off in any case around the edge it will not bleed of course on decal film but might just run, I'll have to see. It shouldn't be too bad though to say that name is only about 4mm long

post-6894-0-37965800-1366022376_thumb.jpg

Cav

• Like 2

That could well be an interesting solution James. Keep the semaphores for the locations that remain true to the original trackplan and then where remodelling has taken place, loop and bay, add colour lights as the signals were replaced. Would that work in model form or am I gonna get a load of finger pointers giving it this  :nono: at exhibitions?   :jester:

There's so much variety then that could work just as well as some other solutions! The key is that follows a logical progression with the location's development. You might find that some of the existing semaphores could have been reused, even in their exisitng locations. Or even the odd retained signal may have been replaced by a colour light - in this case from a signalling point of view it would be treated in the same way as its machanical predecessor.

And I'm sure people will help you as you get to that stage :)

I know yeah. I'm still not sure which way to go. If I do semaphores though I then have to to faff with point/signal rodding from the signal box to the signals/points!! At least with colour lights I can just bob on some MAS ducting and its job done!! haha

Cav

I know yeah. I'm still not sure which way to go. If I do semaphores though I then have to to faff with point/signal rodding from the signal box to the signals/points!! At least with colour lights I can just bob on some MAS ducting and its job done!! haha

Cav

I struggled to get the point rodding right on Trebudoc, AND THAT'S O GAUGE :O :o :O :o :O :o :O :o :O hahahheeee

Tell Neil its a job for him, hahahah

Bodgit the Bodger :sungum:

Say the points, other than those just outside the box, are power points!

And you'll need troughing whatever you do by this time!

So the points being powered is no problem with mechanical signalling?

Not at all - mechanical points can be very heavy and over long runs require careful adjustment and maintenance. There are also regulations which state the maximum distance (440yds IIRC) from the box for machanical points. there's no limit on powered points.

• RMweb Gold

Cav

Cav, whilst researching my Bakewell layout, I came a cross a Signal box diagram from 1968 which showed that the semaphore signals between Bakewell and Hassop had been replaced with 3-aspect colour before the line was closed, so I think you could get away with colour lights.

• RMweb Gold

I must say that I know next to nowt about 45's but that one looks the business even in grey and the bogies look a great improvement.

Looking forward to this layout progressing, if it's to your usual standard it will be a winner! I think it will be nice to see a mix of colour lights and semaphores. 

• RMweb Gold

Hmm if those had been replaced would logic state that if the line had stayed open the whole line would have been done?

I would have thought so, certainly by the period you're modelling. Don't forget, it was an express route (and therefore quite a high priority for upgrades).

One other interesting fact, about a year before closure, the footbridge at Bakewell was raised in preparation for future electrification of the line, although that never happened.

Cav

Cav

Why worry about finger pointers. They obviously are not aware of protypical locations and practices. IMO, modelling the location as described provides something different that others are scared to tackle.

Duncan

I'm very much interested in doing a mix of signals but with Alastairs Bakewell info it does seem likely that colour lights would have prevailed by the mid 80s.

Cav

• RMweb Gold

I'm very much interested in doing a mix of signals but with Alastairs Bakewell info it does seem likely that colour lights would have prevailed by the mid 80s.

Cav

It's Your Railway so you don't have to take any notice of me :no:

Also, although the main line might have been upgraded, the Buxton branch may well not have been.

• RMweb Gold

Cav

There are plenty of examples where the resignalled areas were also semaphores.

It's not a simple case of putting a two-aspect signal in place of a semaphore, there are signalling regulations which would need to be followed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave, is there any chance you could pop on what I would need onto the plan I posted in the signalling section?

Cheers

Cav

Sure - Sorry, I've missed that - my broadband at home has been out for a couple of weeks (and I was away for a week before that), so only get chance for quick visits during work - hopefully it will be fixed today and normal service can be resumed.