MK2 Air conditioned coaches - Detail differences

It's surprisingly useful for interior shots. The dining coach is a very late Mk.1 with the Mk.2 style luggage racks.

I've even watched the film a few times!  I'm presuming it's an RFO?  Funny how times change, I cannot imagine smoking in a crowded Restaurant Car now - but I must have done just that.  :drag:

This is going a bit off topic, but it's my own fault.  Quite right, having consulted Keith Parkin and RCTS 1978, it is probably an RUO, although I would be interested to know for sure.  My understanding is that RFO's (all 11 of them) were from 1951 and RUO's 1961.

Alun

:offtopic:

Looking at the BR Standard Stock Fleetlist I have from 1970, all the RFOs were allocated to the Western and all the air braked RUOs, apart from one on the Southern, were on the Eastern. None of the RSOs were on the Eastern either so it can't be an early one of them,so therefore it's got to be an RUO.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

Definitely an RUO. Distinguishing features are the laminate side walls, wood framed loose chairs and aluminiuum luggage racks. The FK is Mk2a with old style first class window labels.

You beat me to it Robert!

Edited by mark54
  • Like 1

Hopefully Friday. I've tried to take some photos of the one Mk2F that I have at home at the moment and the light is way to poor (and I can't be bothered to get the tripod out for one coach).

I should be over at Glenn's on Friday so I can get photos of all the variations in one go.

• Like 1

Genuinely appreciated.  I have to say that in the same way replacing my old Airfix Mk2D's with Hornby's pretty much guaranteed Bachmann releasing an air con stock, "building" Mk2D's out of Bachmann Mk2F's pretty much guarantees them releasing the very same in 2014!  :wink_mini:  It will be useful experience.

Incidentally, I have been  messing about with couplings.  After taking advice on here, I had pretty much decided to go down the Keen Systems route.  As I'll now want to sell my Hornby's on, the best compromise I can come up with is a modified Bachmann 36-026 on the Mk2D's (I owe Ray for that idea, have a look here) and Bachmann 36-027 on the Mk1's and one remaining Mk2A BSO (I use a combination of 36-027 and factory fitted 36-061 on my Mk1/Mk2Z rakes).  Just in case it's of use to anyone...

Alun

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully Friday. I've tried to take some photos of the one Mk2F that I have at home at the moment and the light is way to poor (and I can't be bothered to get the tripod out for one coach).

I should be over at Glenn's on Friday so I can get photos of all the variations in one go.

I don't suppose you've had chance yet?  I won't ask again in case it's getting annoying!  :angel:

I had a streaming cold that Friday which lasted all the weekend. To be fair I could have sent you a p.m but at the time I don't think I felt like doing anything!

This weekend we are at Melksham for Trainwest. I can always take the box of air-con coaches back to my house on Sunday evening if I remember.

• Like 1

Right then, I remembered to ask Glenn to bring the Mk2 FO stock to the club last night so here goes:

First of all the Mk2F stock should have shallower door windows, the same depth as the passenger windows, I have not changed any of these on my stock.

The most obvious first, the fan side:

Mk2D Stones (also Mk2E)

98524101_Mk2DFOfansidestones.JPG.401a8878ba24b8a20363d83747e6a047.JPG

Mk2D Temperature Ltd

954547410_Mk2DFOfansideTemperatureLtd.JPG.35adceff3808f51023b5f8ecad3b576f.JPG

Mk2F Stones

98878916_Mk2FFOfansidestones.JPG.f3a220bc0392ac409a453be23d764ef5.JPG

Mk2F Temperature Ltd

2033815051_Mk2FFOfansideTemperatureLtd.JPG.687243751b431c4f5b366d799885c8f6.JPG

Now the toilet window side:

Mk2D (also Mk2E)

1814595934_Mk2DFOtoiletsidestones.JPG.2ff903d2360edeb8bbba4626fce0c05d.JPG

Mk2F

1968173554_Mk2FFOtoiletsidestones.JPG.424f09b99873c0e1bd795d1379346e40.JPG

The underframes:

Mk2D Stones (also Mk2E)

1341811681_Mk2DFOunderframesstones.JPG.1387e6be91547392f1d44f9914d23ba8.JPG

Mk2D Temperature Ltd

104754506_Mk2DFOunderframeTemperatureLtd.JPG.951f05ff00a464f2d46ef5fc8e8ed879.JPG

Mk2F Stones

504146143_Mk2FFOunderframestones.JPG.7f92d69ecca6d6ab3cbc3dbeb1371691.JPG

Mk2F Temperature Ltd (this photo is the opposite way to the other underframe photos)

1426509800_Mk2FFOunderframeTemperatureLtd.JPG.272ce2758a8ccf0c9204a4e4700e925d.JPG

Finally the roof:

Mk2D 3174? onwards

309162717_Mk2DFOroofTemperatureLtd.JPG.ba49be61cbbdd2d9abfa42d79fd24128.JPG

Mk2E and Mk2F

1249788770_Mk2FFOroofstones.JPG.931113018c8429a5f27b00c20da40d9d.JPG

The Mk2D FO roof is a problem. 3170 certainly had twin roof vents at the roof hatch end but current photos of 3174 show the revised arrangement of one vent and what might be an extractor fan (certainly a prominent circular blob similar to the one moulded by Airfix etc at the other end of the roof). This arrangement was certainly on 3186 and later Mk2D FO stock in the 1980s. Whether the roof of 3174 was altered subsequently or whether the design change happened that early in the build I cannot say.

All Mk2D FO stock from 3189 onwards and all other air-con Mk2 FO stock should have no bump stops on the doors. I'll probably file these off the Mk2F stock this week.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 3

If I may ask, did you just remove the coupling from these and then use a Kadee 5 and gearboxes glued to the underside. Did you have to remove anything from underneath the gangway.?

Regards

Scott 

Edited by thebritfarmer

If I may ask, did you just remove the coupling from these and then use a Kadee 5 and gearboxes glued to the underside. Did you have to remove anything from underneath the gangway.?

Regards

Scott 

The base of the #5 rests on the bottom of the headstock so I didn't have to remove anything from underneath the gangway, just add some plastikard packers behind the headstock.

Note that the #5 couplings in brown printed packets have longer gearboxes than the ones in the black printed packets so the front face of the bogie also needs removing to allow clearance.

Although the layout is straight we do have reverse curves due to using a double slip and the ladder of points to the cleaning roads.

In addition we have also used the stock on the club layout of Duffield which has 3 ft radius curves with no issues. The only problems that might arise are corridor connection locking when propelling and touching buffers/buffer locking between the loco and the first coach.

We position the coupling with the end of the corridor connection half way down the angle to the right hand side of the coupling as below:

post-7112-0-34062400-1366354311.jpg

Depending on the curves you have you may need to have the coupling slightly further out from the corridor connection.

For FK and BFK interiors I still use the Lima Mk2B ones. They may well be crude by todays standards but with the Airfix tinted windows, which in my opinion have the correct amount of tint, they seem to be perfectly acceptable (to me at least).

I've had a look at a few photos of Mk2D, E and F this morning and found two photos on the same page of the 1992 Platform 5 Combined with 1260 (photo dated 1991) and 3400 (photo dated 1990) both carrying bogies with friction dampers instead of hydraulic dampers. To be honest I'm not surprised at all that bogie swaps between the different builds took place during subsequent works visits.

Photos on flickr certainly show Mk2D and Mk2E stock after 2001 with bogies with hydraulic dampers and 17167 at York in 2010 is even on a set of B5 bogies not B4. In fact I cannot find a single photo with friction dampers on air-con stock after that approximate date. Harris' book on the Mk2s states that 381 coaches from Mk2D, E and F were refurbished from 1996 by Bombardier and it may well be this refurbishment programme that resulted in a wholesale bogie change.

The change  on B4 bogies from friction dampers to hydraulic was a mod. It was a fairly straight forward mod. The main reason behind it was the wear rate of the friction dampers, and secondly the supply of the ferosbestos bushes.

It was not acctualy a bogie swap.

Al Taylor

• Like 2

Right then, I remembered to ask Glenn to bring the Mk2 FO stock to the club last night so here goes:

First of all the Mk2F stock should have shallower door windows, the same depth as the passenger windows, I have not changed any of these on my stock.

The most obvious first, the fan side:

Mk2D Stones (also Mk2E)

attachicon.gifMk2D FO fan side, stones.JPG

Mk2D Temperature Ltd

attachicon.gifMk2D FO fan side, Temperature Ltd.JPG

Mk2F Stones

attachicon.gifMk2F FO fan side, stones.JPG

Mk2F Temperature Ltd

attachicon.gifMk2F FO fan side, Temperature Ltd.JPG

Now the toilet window side:

Mk2D (also Mk2E)

attachicon.gifMk2D FO toilet side, stones.JPG

Mk2F

attachicon.gifMk2F FO toilet side, stones.JPG

The underframes:

Mk2D Stones (also Mk2E)

attachicon.gifMk2D FO underframes, stones.JPG

Mk2D Temperature Ltd

attachicon.gifMk2D FO underframe, Temperature Ltd.JPG

Mk2F Stones

attachicon.gifMk2F FO underframe, stones.JPG

Mk2F Temperature Ltd (this photo is the opposite way to the other underframe photos)

attachicon.gifMk2F FO underframe, Temperature Ltd.JPG

Finally the roof:

Mk2D 3174? onwards

attachicon.gifMk2D FO roof, Temperature Ltd.JPG

Mk2E and Mk2F

attachicon.gifMk2F FO roof, stones.JPG

The Mk2D FO roof is a problem. 3170 certainly had twin roof vents at the roof hatch end but current photos of 3174 show the revised arrangement of one vent and what might be an extractor fan (certainly a prominent circular blob similar to the one moulded by Airfix etc at the other end of the roof). This arrangement was certainly on 3186 and later Mk2D FO stock in the 1980s. Whether the roof of 3174 was altered subsequently or whether the design change happened that early in the build I cannot say.

All Mk2D FO stock from 3189 onwards and all other air-con Mk2 FO stock should have no bump stops on the doors. I'll probably file these off the Mk2F stock this week.

The very small circular blob, should be repeated at both ends as this is the vent for the toilet water heater.

Al Taylor

The very small circular blob, should be repeated at both ends as this is the vent for the toilet water heater.

Al Taylor

One of the photos I was looking at was this one:

http://shed83a.smugmug.com/CoachingStock/Mk2d/Mk2d-FO/17486113_Vtx3fm#!i=1733228428&k=G2RN98W&lb=1&s=A

You can see the very small vents for the toilet water heater at each end but there is what appears to be an extractor fan at the near end instead of one of the roevac vents. See also this photo of 3204:

http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p46631637/h9e92365#h9e92365

Edited by Flood

One of the photos I was looking at was this one:

http://shed83a.smugmug.com/CoachingStock/Mk2d/Mk2d-FO/17486113_Vtx3fm#!i=1733228428&k=G2RN98W&lb=1&s=A

You can see the very small vents for the toilet water heater at each end but there is what appears to be an extractor fan at the near end instead of one of the roevac vents. See also this photo of 3204:

http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p46631637/h9e92365#h9e92365

Thats the top the water tank filler, it should be on both ends. It has plate secured by two wing nuts and give you access to a strainer.

Al Taylor

• Like 2

Thats the top the water tank filler, it should be on both ends. It has plate secured by two wing nuts and give you access to a strainer.

Al Taylor

Thanks for that. I must admit I was going to question your response as I thought that the Mk2D TSO stock only had a filler at one end but looking at photos on the same site as referenced in the first of my photos in post #72 I see that the Mk2D TSO stock was the same as the FO (plus BFK, BSO and FK). From looking at more photos on that site BR seem to have removed the use of roof water tank fillers from late build Mk2E stock and the Mk2F stock, the early Mk2E TSO stock appears to have the two water tank fillers (up to coach 5792 approx).

That means that all my Mk2D TSO stock now has incorrect roofs - how annoying.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

Thanks for that. I must admit I was going to question your response as I thought that the Mk2D TSO stock only had a filler at one end but looking at photos on the same site as referenced in the first of my photos in post #74 I see that the Mk2D TSO stock was the same as the FO (plus BFK, BSO and FK). From looking at more photos on that site BR seem to have removed the use of roof water tank fillers from late build Mk2E stock and the Mk2F stock, the early Mk2E TSO stock appears to have the two water tank fillers (up to coach 5792 approx).

That means that all my Mk2D TSO stock now has incorrect roofs - how annoying.

Hope  the info helps, some of the vehicles had the filler more prominent than others. Mind it is several years since I've been on the roof of an AC mk2.

I did have lots of photos of the varations on the AC mk2, ie the Temperature and Stone variants, but cannot lay my hands on them at the moment.

Al Taylor.

Al Taylor