Drills break into the Moorgate - Finsbury Park line

• RMweb Gold

Very very lucky. There is going to be one site engineer with a very embrassed look on his face tonight.

I sincerely hope that in the not too distant future he will be an ex-Site Engineer and will never again darken the skies over any sort of building work which involves going dowards more than a few feet before it goes upwards.   'Mistakes' like this are totally needless in this day and age and suggest something getting pretty near to a fairly extreme sort of negligence and lack of professional competence.

Unfortunately, plans of the locations of underground services, tunnels etc, are not always as accurate as they might be. One of my sister's drilling crews in the West Midlands drilled ino a gas trunk main which was shown as being on the opposite side of the road. I think it cut off Dudley's gas supplies for a day.

When the route for CTRL was being set out through Ashford, it was discovered, somewhat belatedly, that there was no record of exactly where the cable runs for the recently installed IECC were. Before any piling was started, a pilot hole had to be hand-dug very cautiously on the proposed site of each pile.

How could a railway tunnel not have been known about on plans and planning permission for a development above?

Sadly, it happens more often than you'd like to think.

I remember this gem during my days in Chicago.

Once upon a time in Chicago (after the great fire, courtesy of the apochryphal Mrs. O'Leary's cow) as the city grew, a subway system was built to implement telephony, mail delivery* and reputedly (in Chicago at least) to deliver coal directly to the bunkers and boilers in the basements of the emerging skyscrapers - to keep dirty coal merchants and their delivery vehicles off the streets full of businesspeople.

* This system apparently inspired the London Post Office railway.

With coal-fired boilers long extinct, people of the modern age put electrical equipment in these basements and the Chicago tunnel company's narrow gauge railway was largely forgotten.

In 1992, along comes a bright contractor who hammers pilings into the river and though the river bed - right into the tunnel under the river.

Before you could finish singing "My kind of town" the electrical equipment of most of the downtown skyscrapers was submerged.

The CBD (or 'The Loop' as it is called in Chicago*) was essentially shut down for days while they pumped out the water and filled the tunnel under the river with concrete. It was weeks before things were really back to normal. Modern office buildings are essentially non-functional without electricity. To make matters worse this was early spring - which is not exactly warm in the second city. It cost businesses millions of dollars in lost productivity.

* In respect of the loop formed downtown by the "El" or "Elevated railway".

Who here has not drilled through the top of their baseboard into something they shouldn't have drilled into?

Drilled through the baseboard and half the way through my finger once !!. Midland Crimson everywhere !!

Didn't a similar thing happen, though sideways through the tunnel wall not roof when they where building the M60 at Stockport Tiviot Dale, ultimately leading to the closure of the CLC line ?

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Who here has not drilled through the top of their baseboard into something they shouldn't have drilled into?

I have the bloodstains to prove my error...................... :butcher:

Cheers,

Mick

It's not the first time.

A similar occurence happened a few years back when a site investigation borehole went through the crown of a London Underground tunnel and caught the roof of a tube train.

I can't recall when and where though.

Chris

I think it was to the east of Leytonsone, as pointed out to me by the driver who met it, as we headed for Hainault.  Aparently made a bit of a mess. Hope I've got it correct but it was a long time ago when tube stock was silver ....

• RMweb Premium

Yes I've done the drilling through the baseboard thing, straight into the top of a Tortoise.  luckily the RSPCA weren't around. And the Tortoise didn't make a noise and is still working.

Jamie

It's not the first time.

A similar occurence happened a few years back when a site investigation borehole went through the crown of a London Underground tunnel and caught the roof of a tube train.

I can't recall when and where though.

Chris

I think it was to the east of Leytonsone, as pointed out to me by the driver who met it, as we headed for Hainault.  Aparently made a bit of a mess. Hope I've got it correct but it was a long time ago when tube stock was silver ....

ISTR it was near Redbridge and the work was in conjunction with the new North Circular Road flyover at its junction with the A12. 

Drilled through the baseboard and half the way through my finger once !!. Midland Crimson everywhere !!

Didn't a similar thing happen, though sideways through the tunnel wall not roof when they where building the M60 at Stockport Tiviot Dale, ultimately leading to the closure of the CLC line ?

Brit15

I understand that it was a digger, and that it was this that actually closed the line.

Read in a book about building the GC line through Nottingham that on excavating one of the station approach tunnels the navies broke through into a pub cellar and promptly emptied all the contents !!

Brit15

ISTR it was near Redbridge and the work was in conjunction with the new North Circular Road flyover at its junction with the A12.

It was outside Wanstead station, site investiagtion for the George Green tunnel on the A12. There was confusion between National and Local grid coordinates in setting out the site investigation borehole. The story was recounted to me as a fresh graduate when I joined the design team for this project on graduation as a lesson in being clear what grid you are using, only ever use one on a project.

Archived