The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Another motorcyclist bites the dust

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Have had enough!

3 SMIDSYs in the last 9 years have convinced me that my days on two wheels are over.

SMIDSY? Sorry Mate I Didnt See You

Oh really? Despite the bright headlamps and dayglo gear?

Thats 1 prang from behind - driver didnt stop in time when traffic did, 1 unnanounced u turn from a line of stationary traffic and 1 right turn straight in to me. Knees are too knackered to take any more - did the Abingdon show 2 days after the latest prang but the pain in calf has got worse since.

So its farewell to all those lovely bikes:

Bianchi 75 673 CFK

Suzuki B120P CDD 13B

Honda CB250G5 HNP 850N

Suzuki GT380 TWP 63R

Honda CD175

Honda C50

Suzuki GT250

Suzuki GT380 (again!)

Yamaha Fazer 600 PDF 94Y

Yamaha Fazer 1000

Yamaha Fazer 1000 (again!) PN06 OKC

Has been great fun but fear if I continue the next time there will be a 40 ton Scania coming the other way. So what has to be done to educate motorists? Think Bike certainly does not work.

Will stick to modelling and wading in fast flowing rocky rivers to fish for trout in future - much safer!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

As a teenager I decided that a car rather than motorbike would be the transport of choice as between me leaving school at 16 and passing my car test at 18 seven of my contemporaries from school and the workplace killed themselves on motorbikes. Despite owning a car for years I'd cycle rather than drive to work, I'd enjoy the exercise and thrift. However in my early forties I put the push bike away after being bumped from behind, splatting myself on the side of a car after it turned across my path and the final indignity of unseating myself by riding diagonally over a fire hose. I was lucky to come away unscathed from all my prangs, but it brought home to me how vulnerable one is on a bike. I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the risk so I started walking to work instead. Though some motorists may well be careless, those that knocked me of my bike were mortified to have done so. Yes I believe that some motorists need to up their game, but also that when you get onto a pushbike, moped, scooter or motorbike you need to do it in the knowledge that you do take on a higher level of risk as you are less visible than cars, vans, buses and lorries and the consequences of a crash are more severe.

I always remember the adverts of the late 60's 70's "Think Once think twice THINK BIKE!!" and the guy with the clenched fist. mimmicing a bike hitting a car.Over the years it has always stayed in my mind I havent ridden a bike since I was 18 I'm 57 now and I always try to look out for and respect bikers due to that safety campaign.Plus when I was learning to drive my old man drummed it into me mirrors mirrors mirrors.The other thing was anticipate anticipate anticipate.I don't profess to be a super driver but I still try to be as observant as possible.Don't start me on the ********** that use their mobiles whilst driving!!

As a lifelong biker, it's very sad to hear a fellow brother ending his career.

I understand the reasons completely, had I suffered the same misfortune I might have hung up my leathers too. I think I've been lucky. Hit a car 23 years ago and since then I've been fine. Oh except flipping an LC on one of Hull's busiest roads. At lunch time! and in front of my ex girlfriend. So I think I used all my bad luck up right there.

That is also an eye-watering list of bikes. Man I would have loved to have heard those 'Kettles' sing. Bet the C50 was a laugh too. :)

All the best Phill. I hope you have a change of heart and we don't lose you from the brotherhood.

• RMweb Gold

I've cycled for over 50 years, but gave up on motorbikes when my cousin was killed by a non-signalling right turner at the age of 21. Even though I've driven for 25 years and in excess of half a million miles I still prefer cycling, although nowadays you need eyes in your a**e to be able to allow for the antics about to overtake you. Fortunately I've only been hit once by a taxi near Birmingham Airport. My first driving instructor criticised me for allowing too much space to the cyclist in front, so I stopped, handed him the keys and went home on the bus.

Sad to hear as I'm starting my riding career. I only hope if its my time to go, it's quick.

My sixth sense has really saved me. In the first 20 ride outs I should have been hospitalised 17 times and I know I'm a learner but can assure everyone on these occasions it was not my fault.

The infuriating part is when your close enough to lip read them saying "Oh, f**k it". Then pull out on you. I've witnessed this on four occasions.

Some people really don't care how they ride or drive. I only wish these people crashed into each other. Sadly it's normally the innocent that get hurt.

Mark

EDIT, I forgot to say how relieved I was to see this wasn't another RIP thread.

Sorry to hear about your experiences Phil, they do make you think.  Too many times you realise that another road user just hasn't seen you.

Just sold my CBR 600 Sports last week, not for any particular reason.  I haven't used it much of late and a mate made me a good offer.  I put a few miles on it before it went, including a couple of trips up and down the Wye Valley between Monmouth and Chepstow, one of my favourite rides. Made me think twice about selling it but I'd agreed a deal with my mate.

I've kept the leathers, I might well get another some time...... 

Sad to hear, but then again I can't even begin to imagine what you've been through (my only off to date - touch wood - happened whilst I was waiting in line of traffic at some traffic lights and the car behind me shunted me off; apparently he thought I had moved off, a real WTF moment but thankfully no damage done) and if I'm honest with myself I suspect my reaction would be much the same.

If there's one thing I will say, it's that I recommend any motorcyclist, regardless of experience, joins the IAM if they haven't already. Best thing I ever did in terms of my riding career :)

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear it Phil.  I've never been much into motorbikes (parental prohibition initially then very quickly onto cars) but I used to ride a lot with school pals and I can understand the enjoyment.

But alas I do think it can be a big hazard riding one on today's roads which often seem to be populated by folk who can't think past the ends of their noses assuming they can actually see that far.  And a contributory factor is - I'm sure - modern car cocooned motoring which restricts road awareness if that's all you've ever done and in many cases also restricts vision due to large sloping screen pillars and blind rear quarters.

And look on the bright side - more hobby money to spend on the layout ;)

Hi Phil,

I can only emphasise with how you must feel unfortunately as I was (only) a lifelong cyclist but I did have mates who were bikers and I got myself a helmet and leathers, if only to go on their backs. Boy, was that fun! Never got anywhere with a proper m/cycling career as one mate died (tragically, in a drinking accident) and the other just lost touch but did lose other biking and cycling mates.

I kept on with push biking until it got that somehow, I felt that every single time I went out, I was passing in front of people with loaded guns!

Now, I've joined them but am extremely wary when I meet up with any two wheeler!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

As a biker of four and half years I find it no worse out there on the means streets than when I started. I like to think that I forward think a lot and 'drive' for other people if you know what I mean! I will make no comment on how other people drive. Sad for you to be hanging up your leathers. Personally I can't wait for my superdream commuter to pass its mot tomorrow and then bring on spring for for using my GSXR 750 K5.

I have more incursions* in the car than I do on the bike.

*Incursions being people doing daft things, pulling out on me, drifting into my lane etc

perhaps I'm pre-empting other people's moves more on the bike than in the car?

For the bikers among us it's worth having a watch of "crash course - the SMIDSY"

The video features an advanced bike instructor explaining how bikes speed is harder to judge and what a rider can do to make themselves more noticeable at that moment by moving the bike about. I'll leave it to him to explain :)

Hi Phil, like you I bit the bullet as well and hung up my leathers.

In my day I had many bikes Brits and Japanese raced as well, sponsored by the late Vic Samson who hung out for Helmut on the big  Konig. Raced against people such as Damon Hill and even today I still have that burning passion for bikes.

I think the writing on the wall for me with riding bikes on our roads, was mobile phones and people trying to drive while they are using them. I once 'T' boned a BM because the dick was having chat on his phone. Last bike I had was a really sweet looking red TL1000 SV with a full fairing god did that hurt selling it knowing I wouldn't be riding a big bike again.

2 years ago I tried cycling to work to keep fit, that was really scary . On 5 different occaisions and heated arguments that nearly come to blows because my life had been jeopardised, I decided even participating on two wheels at that level was too dangerous!

To preserve your life from incompetent pratts I can appreciate its sad choice, but you made the right one,

Regards

DaveH

• RMweb Gold

I've said it before that all car drivers should be required to take a CBT too, then there might be a bit more appreciation for how vunerable you are out there on two wheels

Ian

ex-bike race team manager (including the TT), CB250, GPz550 and (still) ZXR750 owner

I can appreciate that RoSPA do a great job training bikers, but reaction times slow down with age. I considered myself as a very experienced rider but I quit at the age of 52.

I have read a very convincing explanation of the SMIDSY on psychological grounds. In short: a fair proportion of drivers on the road are operating near the limits of what competency they have developed. Up their workload (unfamiliar route, different vehicle, heavy traffic, bad weather, a life problem elsewhere) and attention to other road users erodes; and what goes first is the attention to the lower perceived risk items.

I rode a pushbike as my transport of choice to and from the office for near two decades, and then gave up on the same grounds as Neil following a spate of motorists attempting to total me. One did it right in front of a police officer who was effectively sharing my sight line, and it was while the officer was interviewing him at the scene that I actually heard him say that he had seen neither myself (in hi vis gear) or the officer (also in hi vis gear). That was enough for me, I decided than to have a ton of metal around me as the incompetence prophylactic.

I have had several near misses, all whilst riding a BMW K1200, fully day glowed up including myself, and riding lights.

usual sorry I didn't see you........... and then it's a treat to say,

"which fully marked and clearly liveried part of this Police Traffic motorcycle didn't you see..........?"

We used to laugh all the way to the magistrates court!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

I cycled for over 40 years across the length and breadth of the British Isles but for many years as a cycle-commuter in London.  I never took up the powered version and never intend to.  My cycling career has effectively been ended by the arrogant and abusive attitude of a small number of motorists (and theior passengers) who seem to feel it is a sport to lower the passsenger window, extend an arm and attempt to push me off the road.  The locap Police are unhelpful as they "cannot prove" any offence has occurred.  After the fourth such event in as many months I no longer felt safe on the roads and the bike is gathering dust.

I empathise with those who choose to ride.  It can be harder to anticipate a bikers moves since they have the potential to accelerate and brake at much greater rates than cars or bicycles.  Not all do of course.  Not all are ridden with abandon though a few are just as there are a few rogue and irresponsible motorists and cyclist.

At least we are stil here to discuss the matter.  One evening I was on the way home from work and was diverted from the main road into a service lane by Police due to an incident up ahead.  The remains of a motorbike lay strewn across the road and the body bag was still present awaiting removal.  Not an event one forgets even without being involved.

My wife rides her 650 DragStar into London everyday (she's in her early '50's), and I ride my 1300 midnight star into London for regular meetings - and it is an experience, certainly.

18 months ago I was rear-ended on the A40 by someone on a mobile phone (just coming to a stop, fortunately), and while I was trying to get his address off him - even though he was still on the phone to his dead mother (?) some nice reassuring blue lights happened to come on a couple of cars back.... After an explanation from me, the officers asked us both to move from lane three, to lane one. I got back on my bike, started to pull away - whereupon Mr mobilephone drove into me again, in front of the Police. He was promptly breathilized, cuffed and taken away........

Six months later a young lad on the phone rear ended me in exactly the same spot - but this time I was driving our Jeep with a tow hitch, and he was driving a flash sports car......

I have been forced to bale out once due to a stupid SMIDSY turning right with no indication into a tiny side lane. I have stiff joints compounded by that. I was invited by my local constabulary to take part in an awareness day when I registered a new Suzuki 750 and that was invaluable. I still ride, not as much now, but try and instil in others the need to look once, look twice and then once more!

Interesting video. Personally I'm not sure the weaving is a good idea. You threaten your stability when you might just need it most and performing unexpected manouevres might just confuse/encourage the motorist to pull out. Far better to dominate the middle of the road, reduce speed and observe what the driver is doing. Has he looked straight at you, is he edging out etc.

I used the featured manoeuvre today as I was unsure if I'd been seen or not so decided to add a bit of movement to try and be sure.

I was covering the brake ready to stop if needs be and had dropped my speed slightly to 20mph from the 30mph I had been doing. I think in the video they exaggerate the wiggle, when I do it I put my wheels about half a meter each side of my original line, as though I'm going round a small object that had been in my path, repeat in the opposite direction and then continue in my normal position.

I feel this gives me more chance of being spotted due to the movement of a lit up reflective thing. If I find I need to brake, I abandon the manoeuvre, straighten up and brake normally. It's not an abrupt slalom throwing the bike from side to side, just a gentle rocking that nowhere near threatens to unsettle the bike.

I probably swerve more to avoid the pot holes around here!

I have been forced to bale out once due to a stupid SMIDSY turning right with no indication into a tiny side lane. I have stiff joints compounded by that. I was invited by my local constabulary to take part in an awareness day when I registered a new Suzuki 750 and that was invaluable. I still ride, not as much now, but try and instil in others the need to look once, look twice and then once more!

and that's "look" not glance.

Look, allow eyes to focus and take in the scene, not turn head to side, turn back quick.

• RMweb Gold

I would ask all motorcyclists on here to take extra care when doing the turning the 3 lane motorway into 3 lanes plus two motorcycle lane thing, especially if they have a low winter sun behind them.

I will hold my hand up and say that it is my pet beef when sat stationary or very slow moving on a motorway a motorcycle comes up between the lanes at what seems like 40 mph - I think it is very dangerous and asking for trouble, but certainly in the winter months with the low sun behind just be extra careful.

I do 25+k a year in my van, see loads of tw*ts on 4 wheels but equally the same can be said of 2 wheel users, and they are harder to spot - but I'm not going any further with that one.

Guess we just got to look out for each other.

• RMweb Premium

I hung up my crash helmet 40 years ago. I found using 2 wheels on the road just too scary. Even on four wheels the number of idiots who will pull out without checking is astounding, if I see someone about to pull out nowadays I tend to prepare to make an emergency stop even if they are looking in my direction. Fortunately I have hit one of these idiots only once, about 12 years ago, when I was driving a Suzuki Jeep with hefty bull bars, I was able to drive away with only a scratch or two in the paint, the other car was a write off.

Archived