Midland Railex 2013 August 17th & 18th

EE 8SVT

Never been to the Midland Railway Centre, so I'm planning on killing two birds with one stone here, and hopefully the weather will make for a pleasant jaunt over on the bike :)

In the meantime, and apologies if I'm being dim, but is there a list of traders anywhere?

In aswer to your question RE:- Traders

We are still in the process of finalising the building space for layouts and Traders for Railex and full details will be posted soon.

The list below shows a number of the Traders who we have already allocated and confirmed building space for, more will be advised ASAP.

Stevenson Carriages

Modelzone (Signal Box Rochester)

M & B Models

Shawplan

EDM Models

Book Law

Grimy Times

Green Scene

Mount Tabor

Arkwright Models

Transport Photo Interchange

Kernow Model Rail Centre

Hobby Holiday

Squires

Dovedale Models

Rural Railways

Gee Dee Models

LMS Patriot Project

Trackside

Bufferbeam Limited

Colin Wright Railway Artist

Bachmann Europe

Industrial Railway Society

N Gauge Society

Bachmann Collectors Club

Others Traders t.b.a

Steve

Railex Team

Having now found and read for myself comments about last year's show, posted by those who DID experience very significant problems, I'm concerned to know whether the issues of adequate on-site (or near site) parking, good arrangement of attractions and traders, good prominent signage or good free site plans, and of adequate means of getting around the event without delay and discomfort have now been addressed ready for this year's event.

Any news please?

Having now found and read for myself comments about last year's show, posted by those who DID experience very significant problems, I'm concerned to know whether the issues of adequate on-site (or near site) parking, good arrangement of attractions and traders, good prominent signage or good free site plans, and of adequate means of getting around the event without delay and discomfort have now been addressed ready for this year's event.

Any news please?

I have no link to the Midland Railway other than attending as a visitor (I am a GCR man!). Whilst I can believe that there may have been parking problems later in the day I cannot believe that there is much to address with the arrangement of traders or attractions or site plans etc. There is a very useful map in the show  guide. This is given away FREE with admission. The map clearly shows the location of all buildings which contain exhibits and what is due to be in each building. True, for less mobile visitors there is a fair walk from the main building up to the West Shed - the furthest distance between exhibition halls. Perhaps a bus service around the site using one of the vehicles from the road transport museum would help??? I thought this happened in the first year!

The timetabled first train was not made clear last year, and was some confusion and delay to this service and the signage to the "Real Ale" bar was poor. A better range of ales would be welcome too!!

That said last year's event was only the second the railway had run. I cannot fault the range of exhibits, signage and map to the halls and the cost. I recommend the event and am looking forward to 2013.

• RMweb Gold

I have no link to the Midland Railway other than attending as a visitor (I am a GCR man!). Whilst I can believe that there may have been parking problems later in the day I cannot believe that there is much to address with the arrangement of traders or attractions or site plans etc. There is a very useful map in the show  guide. This is given away FREE with admission. The map clearly shows the location of all buildings which contain exhibits and what is due to be in each building. True, for less mobile visitors there is a fair walk from the main building up to the West Shed - the furthest distance between exhibition halls. Perhaps a bus service around the site using one of the vehicles from the road transport museum would help??? I thought this happened in the first year!

The timetabled first train was not made clear last year, and was some confusion and delay to this service and the signage to the "Real Ale" bar was poor. A better range of ales would be welcome too!!

That said last year's event was only the second the railway had run. I cannot fault the range of exhibits, signage and map to the halls and the cost. I recommend the event and am looking forward to 2013.

I agree almost 100%..more trips down to the junction would have helped

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It would be very helpful if the exhibition team could provide a little more information on this year's arrangements for getting to Swanwick Junction. After last year's show there were comments that additional car parking ground was being sought and they were investigating running a bus service from Derby. Anyone travelling any distance to the show needs to decide fairly soon whether to travel by car or public transport before the quotas for cheaper advance rail tickets sell out completely. As the Nottingham Station remodelling will be in full swing while Midland Railex is on this year it is even more important that people who want to use National Rail services for part of their journey can plan ahead.

I've been to both Midland Railex shows so far and intend to go again this year. As I live in Leicestershire I can easily get to Butterley early enough for there to be plenty of parking space, or get the normal bus service from Derby or Alfreton, I've tried both methods in past years, and from a personal point of view knowing the timetable for the Butterley-Swanwick service

will help in knowing when to arrive at Butterley. As the service ended up as a top-and-tailed shuttle both years before despite the planned timetable being very different, perhaps actually planning this for part of the day might allow people who want to travel over the full operating line to know when they could do this with some certainty.

Hi Andy,

I will provide answers to some of your questions, but please bear with the team for a few more days, as we are still in the process of confirming all options available.

Car parking:

We have available the main car park and 4 overflow car parks, with additional on street parking toward Ripley Town (up the hill) all are within 5 -10 minutes walk of Butterley Station.

We estimate that at least 650 individual car parking spaces are available.

Last year we did not have sufficient marshals to direct visitors and ensure vehicles were parked to give the full use of all car parking areas.

This year we have the services of 30 members from the East Midlands 4 x 4 group, who will direct and advise visitors of the available car parking areas at Butterley.

Could I appeal to visitors travelling by car to please consider car sharing if possible, even if only two people per vehicle, this would free up more spaces, plus a cheaper journey cost for all.

We are still in negotiations to see if we can obtain any additional parking and will advise as to the outcome ASAP.

You mention the Nottingham Station remodelling, full timetables for this have only recently been released and visitors certainly need to consider this, certainly if travelling from the East of Nottingham.

The MML services from London to Sheffield (via Derby) and the NESW services to Derby are largely unaffected. (Please see link below for more details)

http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/train-times/nottingham-disruption/Timetables-and-route-maps/Summary-of-services-tofrom-Nottingham-from-Saturday-20-July-to-Sunday-25-August/

The Northern Rail services that normally run to Nottingham will still run to Alfreton  on what appears to be an hourly service, so if travelling from the Sheffield direction, this would be the nearest and most convenient station for Butterley. (Short bus journey from just outside the Station)

Bus services are also available from Derby, but a short walk is required from Derby Station.

For Public Transport details in Derbyshire please visit:

http://www.derbysbus.info/

If you are using Public Transport the following ticket offers particularly good value, for both Rail and Bus travel and covers a large are, valid as far as New Mills on the Hope Valley line, see link below for full details.

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/images/Derbyshire%20Wayfarer%20leaflet%202013_tcm44-224464.pdf

Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket prices from 19 May 2013

• £11.60 for an adult (plus one child under 16)
  • £5.80 for a senior citizen (aged 60 or over), a child under 16*, or a holder of a Gold Card or other English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS) pass
  • £21.00 for a group of up to two adults and up to three children*

Bus and routes numbers along with the nearest Rail Station are also shown on our Railex leaflets.

Anyone travelling from Nottingham will probably find it easier to use the Trent/Barton service from Nottingham to Ripley Market, change here for the Derby – Alfreton service, which stops outside the MR at Butterley Station.

https://www.trentbarton.co.uk/

Ask for a Zig-Zag ticket £5.00 after 09-00 unlimited day travel on most services (see website for full details)

So plenty of Public Transport options available, even with the Nottingham Station remodelling, but you do need to plan your journey.

Railex Train Shuttles:

We are still fine tuning the timetable to ensure the maximum number of seats and the maximum amount of services operate during the “Peak hours”

I will publish the full T/T online as soon as signed off.

Three trains will be running:

Two locomotive hauled coaching sets, top n tail with Steam/Diesel

1 x  DMU.

Full journeys will be possible from Swanwick to Ridings, again outside of the “Peak hours” and will be advertised in the T/T.

Hope this answers your questions for now; I will post updates, as and when available.

Please feel free to PM, should you require any more information.

Steve

Railex Team

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Steve, a big help. Answers what I need to know personally, or promises to do shortly.

In addition the Liverpool-Manchester-Sheffield-Peterborough-Norwich train service will be making extra stops at Alfreton, but only in that direction. Going towards Liverpool people travelling from the East would need to catch a rail replacement bus from East Midlands Parkway to Alfreton to get the bus to Midland Railex, or if they came from the North and are going home,the Northern Trains service from Alfreton and change at Chesterfield or Sheffield.

One quibble, Derby Railway Station is a good 15 minutes walk (allowing for delays waiting for traffic lights to allow you to cross the road) to the 9.1/9.3 bus stop in Corporation Street. Traveline tells people transferring from train to bus it is 16 minutes. Derby Bus Station however is a short 3 minute or so walk to the Corporation Street stop.

Correction - there is no direct rail replacement bus from East Midlands Parkway to Alfreton, you'd need to get one bus from EMP to Nottingham and another to Alfreton, even though there is a direct train hourly in the other direction.

Latest update for layouts confirmed as attending the Midland Railex 2013

Our popular theme of vintage/classic Model Railways will this year be represented by the following four layouts & displays.

These are all “Collection" type layouts, they are designed to show the products made many years ago.

a/ Triang TT  

b/ Triang OO    

c/ Hornby 3 Rail OO  

d/ Lionel (Standard Gauge)

Back to things a little more modern:

Glen Roy, a Scottish OO gauge Modern Image 1970’s – 80’s layout.

More updates for Railex to follow.

Steve

Railex Team

Simplified details of shuttle Train services during the Midland Railex Saturday & Sunday

Train Departures from Butterley to Swanwick Junction

09:30

09:45

10:10

10:35

11:00

11:25

12:10

12:50

13:30

14:05

14:45

15:20

15:50

Train Departures from Swanwick to Butterley

11:50

12:25

13:05

13:40

14:20

14:55

15:35

16:00

16:25

16:50+

17:15*

+ Note 16.50 is the Last train on Sunday.

* Note 17.15 is the Last train on the Saturday.

The Butterley Ticket office will be open from 09-00 and the Car Parks from 08-30.

More details will be posted soon.

Steve

Railex Team

Alfreton Model Railway Society

Well the wait is nearly over!. Our 35 hour operating session starts at 6am this coming Saturday. The layout is recieving a final fettle this week to make sure its in tip top condition. The 5v transformer decided to give up the ghost on Sunday eve, however a new one will be fitted this week by Uncle Trev! Visit us this weekend for model railway bargains, advice and of course our layout "Midland Road"
Looking forward to seeing you all whatever the hour!

Alfreton Model Railway Society

Well the wait is nearly over!. Our 35 hour operating session starts at 6am this coming Saturday. The layout is recieving a final fettle this week to make sure its in tip top condition. The 5v transformer decided to give up the ghost on Sunday eve, however a new one will be fitted this week by Uncle Trev! Visit us this weekend for model railway bargains, advice and of course our layout "Midland Road"

Looking forward to seeing you all whatever the hour!

Good luck for your operating marathon.

Locomotives in use on Saturday 17th on  Butterley Swanwick Shuttles, plus Swanwick to Riddings service

SDJR Jinty No 23, BR 5MT  73 129,  Class 25 D7671 and 45133

Locomotives in use on Sunday 18th on Butterley Swanwick Shuttles, plus Swanwick to Riddings service

SDJR Jinty No 23, BR 5MT 73129, Class 25 D7671 and 47401

Thunderbird Class 20 20048, will also work one booked train each day to allow the Jinty to be refilled with water.

Steve

Railex Team

• RMweb Premium

I am reliably informed by layout owner Mr Ross that we're exhibiting Diesels in the Duchy at the show in a few days time. Be sure to drop by and say hello.

Come and see Stu's caravans and the latest in his growing range of Water Closets http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12234-diesels-in-the-duchy-aka-st-blazey-dcc-em/?p=1124660. You won't be able to miss them, they will be front right.

Edit: PS it's a tradition that visitors to the layout bring cake, pies and/or Cornish cream teas...

Archived