"Ivor the engine" comes of age, in 7mm, by OzzyO & friends.

ozzyo

In the absence of a O gauge chassis jig I'm going to 'bodge' something up for soldering in the bearings as there's a modicum of slop between them and the chassis holes. Just need to know what the wheel spacing should be (39.5mm?) or could sacrifice a pair of connecting rods to set the spacing as there seems to be plenty of them (6 brass+2 N/S).

In the absence of a O gauge chassis jig I'm going to 'bodge' something up for soldering in the bearings as there's a modicum of slop between them and the chassis holes. Just need to know what the wheel spacing should be (39.5mm?) or could sacrifice a pair of connecting rods to set the spacing as there seems to be plenty of them (6 brass+2 N/S).

Ray,

I would always use the rods when setting up a coupled chassis, there are a couple of spares anyway, the correct wheelbase is crucial to decent running, otherwise you will be filing oval holes in the rods! (Been there, seen it, done it, got the oval files - it doesn't work)

Droitwich Ivor (4?) has not had much done while waiting for paint to dry, I have built up a voltage regulator for the test 'el-cheapo' sound. This provides a 3.3v supply for the mini MP3 player, I might also put one in for the front lights if they are a bit too bright.

post-18627-0-78049600-1400833149_thumb.jpg

He's also now got red buffer beams, there's some doubt about the back one, some illustrations show it as black, some as body colour, but I have stuck with traditional red.

post-18627-0-82964600-1400833151_thumb.jpgpost-18627-0-00511200-1400833148_thumb.jpg

Now all I have to do today is find that bl***y lining pen. A trip to DCC Supplies is also on the cards to get a chip, speaker, stay alive capacitor and other goodies to get the chassis back together.

Thanks Pete, the 39.5 was just a guesstimate using a rule which is why I asked the question.

I might just sacrifice a pair of rods as Peter220950 suggested, drilling out the holes to suit the wheel fixing screws. I can then screw them to the axel ends using them as a jig supporting the 'flats' of the axels across the jaws of an engineers vice while I solder the bearings in place. Something like this but with the rods attached.

post-11105-0-16571400-1400836970_thumb.jpg

If this sounds daft please shout now.

Ray.

Ray

Your idea is a good one but can I suggest that when you have made the jig using the rods that you use wooden close pegs to hold the bearings in place as a metal vice like that will take all of the heat from the soldering iron and you will nevef be able to fix the bearings.

Quick update on my build methinks. Motor, gearbox and wheels are en-route, and should be with me by next weekend. I have the following week off, in which I'll be able to crack right into the build further. Most of the major components are assembled and I did a trial fitting this evening.

14081974080_196e3830fc_c.jpgDSC_0262 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

14265259291_7d8ba0e52a_c.jpgDSC_0260 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

Good progress Coldgunner,

Progress from N Wales is a bit slower, but we do have a rolling chassis albeit still without connecting rods which is the next job.

post-11105-0-37886600-1401124649_thumb.jpg

The two Nickel Silver rods were sacrificed for the jig so will only have the three brass laminations. Hope these will be thick enough.

Why can't you still use the N/S sandwiched between the brass?

Just a thought.

Jeff

I probably could but reading back through the thread it's implied (maybe wrongly) that the N/S rod with a washer each side replaced the brass laminate.

Not having started the body I'm not sure how much clearance there is for the crank pins so don't want to make the rods too thick, but like the idea of the chunky brass laminate. Maybe Pete could enlighten us on how it should be?

The rods were designed using just the brass parts but OzzyO recommend thickening them up hence the use of the Nickle Silver parts if you can still use the Nickle parts I would use them Ray.

Ivor has scaled well the only thing I had to change was to make the frames narrower after they had been scaled down to increase the clearance.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yay! Ivor in 4mm scale! The Little Didcot fleet will be getting a fictional member!

I will definitely be buying one of these...

All the best,

Castle

Hi Pete,

Yay! Ivor in 4mm scale! The Little Didcot fleet will be getting a fictional member!

I will definitely be buying one of these...

All the best,

Castle

Anything green for you lot...... :jester:

The 4mm Ivor looks good. Might have to think about buying one so he can see New, South Wales!

The rods were designed using just the brass parts but OzzyO recommend thickening them up hence the use of the Nickle Silver parts if you can still use the Nickle parts I would use them Ray.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I've salvaged the Nickel rods and laminated these to the three brass ones and added one of the washers on the etch as well to bring the thickness up to something near that of the crankpin bushes.

Ray.

Anything green for you lot...... :jester:

The 4mm Ivor looks good. Might have to think about buying one so he can see New, South Wales!

From North Wales to New South Wales, it's not that far, after all he did go on holiday once to South Wales. After he got loconapped.

OzzyO.

Across in Worcestershire, you may have been thinking why, when I drilled out Ivors' chimney, did I drill it all the way through, when there was a perfectly good spigot on the bottom.

post-18627-0-26293700-1401303024_thumb.jpg

There was a good reason,

My name is Ivor, and I am an addict................

post-18627-0-60879100-1401302916_thumb.jpg

I had planned to put a smoke unit in, which has now been dropped in place ready to be fired up.

post-18627-0-69302800-1401302914_thumb.jpg

I then spent three days cleaning out the workroom to find the lining pen, to no avail, it seems to have gone the same way as a ZTC 511 controller a couple of years ago, and has totally disappeared. I have lost the handle and medium nib, I did have the fine nib left, but no handle, so it was down to holding it by hand to get the lining moving.

post-18627-0-25962600-1401303330_thumb.jpg

So  now he's lined and awaiting transfers, fittings and fixtures.

post-18627-0-51959300-1401303328_thumb.jpg

If you want more decals let me know Peter and you will probably find the brush it on/wipe it off method is better than a lining pen if you have a very glossy coat of green on the model.

Pete,

Sorry to be a pain but I do need a pair of side decals, I screwed one up royally and the other one is not perfect, I think I've got the hang of them now though, the front one is on o.k. Can you let me know what I owe you for a set and I will send payment and an SAE.

The wiring to the lamps and smoke unit were installed today,

post-18627-0-78307300-1401379449_thumb.jpg

The lamps have been fixed

post-18627-0-37429800-1401379485_thumb.jpg

The floor, coal space and steps were painted black

post-18627-0-64238500-1401379537_thumb.jpg

and the gauges and dials were cleaned up

post-18627-0-01688400-1401379692_thumb.jpg

before tackling the transfers, though as noted above they didn't go too well, with only the front one completed. - Excuse Ivor's runny nose

post-18627-0-35648300-1401379777_thumb.jpg

In the meantime there have been other things going on, I didn't mention a couple of weeks ago that I also made a small part out of plastikard. for what reason you may ask?

post-18627-0-26395500-1401379977_thumb.jpg

It's so that a Jones the Steam figure could be made to stand, holding the handrail, and I have it on good authority that it's coming along well, and awaiting a trial fitting in the next couple of weeks.

post-18627-0-16838900-1401380094_thumb.jpg

Archived