"Ivor the engine" comes of age, in 7mm, by OzzyO & friends.

ozzyo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

My limited knowledge of building with brass is showing up. Tried to form the curve for the splashers by bending around a former but the spring in the brass prevented getting anywhere near enough of a bend. Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated.

Ray.

If you have access to some rolling bars use them, if not start with a bar larger than the required radius and then reduce the size bit by bit until the radius matches the splashers. You will find that forming the metal around the bars quite easy and the bars can be any convenient material to hand.

Hope this helps.

Simon

I don't think you can use rolling bars, if I recall correctly it's part of the side etch for the splasher that's folded over and bent to follow the contour?

I didn't seem to have had a problem, I think I teased it roughly to the correct profile between thumb and fingers then holding it by the sides pushed it onto a block of wood, splasher top down, soldering on the inside, and rolling it around as I went. - Not exactly easy to describe but I will try to take some pic of what I mean when I get back from Gaydon later on today.

Had a chance to look at this again and hope the explanation below helps a bit:-

The rough shape of the fret is as below:-

post-18627-0-10989300-1413128046_thumb.jpg

I then bent the curve on the splasher roughly to shape

post-18627-0-81260400-1413128047_thumb.jpg

Bent up the sides

post-18627-0-16188800-1413128049_thumb.jpg

Then pushing it down onto a piece of wood soldered the insides of the joints while rotating the splasher, pushing it to the correct shape

post-18627-0-95310600-1413128050_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-18773400-1413128052_thumb.jpg

Excuse the not very good photo's but I needed three hands really. - Hope this helps a bit.

P.S. Anyone know what flux to use to solder cardboard :dontknow:

Hi all.

My limited knowledge of building with brass is showing up. Tried to form the curve for the splashers by bending around a former but the spring in the brass prevented getting anywhere near enough of a bend. Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated.

Ray.

Brass work hardens.  After a certain amount of bending, it gets harder and harder.  Try annealing it and then complete the bending...

• 4 months later...

Finally got around to ordering some paint equipment. I've got the lining pen on order, as well as the various yellows. I'm going to try Humbrol Racing Red for the bufferbeam. I've tried twice now to call Markits for the handrail knobs, but never seem to pick up. Is there anyone here who has some spares or know of someone who can do an online order?

post-12769-0-69222900-1425755871_thumb.jpg

Progress!

I've got a minor problem...

On the other side, at the base of the footplate door and the coal bunker, there is a blob of green paint. I didn't realise it was there until I'd started detailing. Would I be able to get away with sanding down the localised patch, masking everything else off and spraying in a patch?

Archived