RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Hi,

Very well spotted - I had totally missed this. Anyone willing to start a book on what colour the A3 backing card will be.

Pink-as we all know Scotsman has parts of Salmon Trout in her......

Hat, coat, list of puns, gone.

• Like 1

Bought two coronations yesterday and I must admit that I'm rather happy about the quality. For 5.99 you get an engine that really looks te part and has no glaring faults.

Now to hack one around so it can move :)

Now, an interesting idea I have relating to these that needs some other input.

If and when I can lay my hand on some of these Big Lizzies down here, I will be doing a fictitious repaint into full BR livery. My point is which livery to go for, and what would the livery sit like on the engine (lining etc.)? I'm partial to Brunswick, early crest as 46223 Princess Alice.

• RMweb Gold

Now, an interesting idea I have relating to these that needs some other input.

If and when I can lay my hand on some of these Big Lizzies down here, I will be doing a fictitious repaint into full BR livery. My point is which livery to go for, and what would the livery sit like on the engine (lining etc.)? I'm partial to Brunswick, early crest as 46223 Princess Alice.

Sounds cool, would you line it in a similar way to the air smoothed bulleids under BR?

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I wasn't sure whether to say full yellow ends or not !!.

Perhaps a small yellow panel - or what about a Rail Grey band along the loco to match coaches tapering down on the front to a point above the coupling. Shape overall as the LMS lining but solid Rail Grey.

Regards

What about the two tone green as per Deltics and 47's and 25's?

post-1656-0-27458600-1394317430.jpg

Been working on mine, and have reused an idea I had when I started renovating a Railroad Flying Scotsman model. I hate having the drawbar on the tender so with a few mods I have put it on the locomotive. This effectively makes it able to be interchangeable with tenders - all the spare frames I have use the old plug type socket so although I won't be wiring up the extra pickups any time soon, it at least gives the opportunity to couple a variety of tenders behind it.

post-1656-0-53499100-1394317544.jpg

One Duchess added - rather taken with it. Not sure I will motorise it but I will think about a repaint for City of Lancaster. Depends how easily a suitable chassis can be had. May even think about an older tender drive mech but minus the tender and motor itself for a non running but moveable model.

post-1656-0-99102800-1394317754.jpg

And finally - anyone think the track supplied with the models is actually rather nicely proportions? Here's a comparison with some Hornby set track.

• Like 3

omis

And finally - anyone think the track supplied with the models is actually rather nicely proportions? Here's a comparison with some Hornby set track.

It's nearer 00 scale than the Hornby (which is H0 to US specification), but the sleepers are slightly too close together and still undersized, particularly in length (allowing for the narrow gauge they should be around 30mm long (or 32mm for pre-grouping 9' sleepers), but measure only 28mm.

Although I haven't given it much of a thought today, I wonder if BR Express Blue, lined out like the standard Duchess on the tender and cabside (with a few tweaks), but also having the cheat stripes in white/black/white (on all three) might work. BR numberboard would be below the handle on the front of the casing.

• Like 1

I personally think the 'Kings' looked attractive in BR blue.

I agree. I've not had the good fortune to see a 'King' in blue 'in the flesh' but, as luck would have it, 5 & 6 April brings together Tornado, Sir Nigel Gresley and 6023 King Edward II for the first time, all in Express Blue.

It'd be rude not to pop in since they'll.only be 20 miles down the road...

Having had a look at my Duchess, I think that there are two options for the black front end -

1- The Clam-Shell doors are painted black with the black extending down to the running plate seam, this would give an almost rectangular area on the boiler cladding, that could be lined in a box style similar to a tender.

2- the three sections of the "buffer beam" are painted black with the buffer housings in crimson (although I'm thinking just paint the centre section in black), and the lining would be simplified - one set running along the running plate seam, round the entire casing, and another set following the upper gold line position including the speed whiskers shape.

Just I'm not sure if the metalwork below the running plate would have survived the war.

post-1656-0-96800900-1394399390.jpg

I have been test fitting a set of Maygib A4 type Spencer double buffers. They are not fixed permanently yet (hence the droop) as I simply wanted to check the fit for the moment.

post-1656-0-02945400-1394399399.jpg

The buffer beam apron had the original shanks removed, holes for the Maygib buffers drilled and humbrol filler used to fill in the edges. Hopefully when complete it'll look much better than the original finish and either that on the Hornby or Bachmann standard A4 models. Rivets will be re-added using a sheet of Archer's resin rivets.

A new coupling will also be added at the same time.

post-1656-0-18850300-1394399407.jpg

The tender has had filler applied to fill in the chips and similar. Handrails to be put on the whole of the model, and the valances removed, later this week. Single chimneys from Graeme King will be incoming soon to replace the double chimney.

post-1656-0-60990200-1394400251.jpg

So that's it for this weekend, more to come in the next few weeks.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

C1?

Was going to go for Gresley's 1937 rebuild of Raven's C7 ;) Only one was done of course, as the success of the V2s rendered the rebuild pointless.*

*-may have made this up

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 2

Just waiting on some paint before posting my next update. Frankly I think the A4s have won me over. Such a cheap investment and hours of modelling fun. Being able to mix and match like this has been extremely useful.

The 4472 model is out next week, and if it showcases the A3 washout plug arrangement and not the A4 type, could be used for a great number of other A3s.

Repainting into blue with single chimney fitted, or dark green with single chimney or retaining the deflectors - lots of potential models. Its whether the cab and tender have curved side sheets that will prove most interesting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

None seem to be available now locally (between the M25 and Southend). I found one of the A4 at a local Sainsburys but that was all, I did ask if the had any of # 2 but no one seemed able to answer. The local W H Smiths claim to have some but not a sign of them on the shelves.

Just received my first subscription locos - Mallard, Coronation and Flying Scotsman. Very exciting! I've not opened them yet, but at first sight the name plate on the Scotsman looks a bit dodgy - printing a bit low. Overall, they look good, though.

• Like 1

Just received my first subscription locos - Mallard, Coronation and Flying Scotsman. Very exciting! I've not opened them yet, but at first sight the name plate on the Scotsman looks a bit dodgy - printing a bit low. Overall, they look good, though.

Hi Smiffy - please could we have some pictures of the 4472 model if possible, please? This one is particularly relevant to my modelling interests and, as above, has potential for a lot of modelling provided the details are right.