Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Premium

However what is happening is that the new tooling is being made by using an RTR locomotive as the 'example' to copy rather than generating the tooling from drawings/laser scanning etc. as is done by the big manufacturers as apropriate. 

I wonder what are the copyright issues raised by this method of production are.

Normally just producing a copy of somebody else's model would be an infringement of said copyright.

Do the original manufacturers get a slice of the profits?

Keith

I haven't seen any out here, but I have a member of family coming out on Sunday who is trying to locate a few issues to smuggle import in for me.

I do hope they show up here, as there is quite a few engines I want to have a go at hacking around on that list. MR compound 4-6-0, SR 2-8-2, USA 'Coronation' anyone?

I've sent off my subscription as they are nice models to display, I will probably also buy extras of ones I'd like to run so I can motorise them, should provide hours of bodging fun at a lot less than a RTR model. Will probably get an extra A3, Butler Henderson and anything interesting in Midland/eastern region territory

• Like 1

Truly, enjoying these models for their potential. The more I think about the Flying Scotsman model though, the more I am convinced it's not going to yield much bar cab glazing, particularly if the washout plugs aren't A3 type and are positioned for the old A4 boiler 4472 used to be fitted with prior to the current overhaul.

Pity, being too accurate to a unique individual, that is. The washout plugs aren't too much work to re-position, particularly if the livery we get in a few weeks needs tweaking. The steam collector position might well be in the wrong position for any other A3 though.

The Nim.

post-1656-0-38687200-1393630892.jpg

post-1656-0-27446400-1393630908.jpg

More pics here - I will update the blog entry tomorrow with the full details of my conversion, using the latest Bachmann A4 chassis. I am also working on another conversion using the latest Hornby Railroad Scotsman chassis and tender as a basis to compare the overall look and build time/cost/running qualities.

Thus far it's been good fun. I am going to fit Maygib buffers to the front, new handrails and a single chimney and turned brass whistle, and turn this one into 60006 Sir Ralph Wedgwood, in LNER garter blue but with BR branding and smokebox numberplate. This requires removing the valances, adding etched access hatches, a single chimney and a new whistle. The whole thing will be given a coat of grey primer over the top to check everything before the paint shop.

Prototype two for comparison will be using the Hornby Railroad Scotsman chassis (the one with the flywheel and 3 pole motor) and will be modified to represent 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley in a matching livery.
  • Like 5

The whole thing will be given a coat of grey primer over the top to check everything before the paint shop.

In which case, you would be able to top Hornby's effort by softening the clothing bend at the front of the firebox. It's much too clinical and defined on this and the Hornby moulding. Plenty of photos of Top Shed-shiny A4's about for you to judge the degree of softness required!

The Nim.

For anyone interested, here are some images of the forthcoming Duchess. These are of the 2013 issue model:

attachicon.gifIMG_4976.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4979.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4980.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4983.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4986.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4988.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4990.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4991.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4992.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4993.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4995.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4998.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4999.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5000.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5001.JPG

Perfect to turn into the USA version, except for the double chimney.

In which case, you would be able to top Hornby's effort by softening the clothing bend at the front of the firebox. It's much too clinical and defined on this and the Hornby moulding. Plenty of photos of Top Shed-shiny A4's about for you to judge the degree of softness required!

The Nim.

I'm going to look this up now - not something I had noticed but if it's there it's certainly there for improvement.

The Duchess is an odd combination - 6220 was never red except when it was Duchess of Hamilton masquerading as Coronation. So effectively we have a model of an impostor, so to speak! :)

Another A4 variant that is able to be done with the A4 is 2509 in original 1935 form, with the shorter buffers and recessed coupling (plus a single chimney, streamlined corridor tender and other subtle modifications)

I'm going to look this up now - not something I had noticed but if it's there it's certainly there for improvement.

The Duchess is an odd combination - 6220 was never red except when it was Duchess of Hamilton masquerading as Coronation. So effectively we have a model of an impostor, so to speak! :)

Drat! I was hoping to get away without any fiddling! I'm going to have to convert to a single chimney and try and match the crimson.

I suppose it was too much to expect 9 spoke bogie wheels.

Edited by Il Grifone

?... WHSmiths seem to be ignoring it. It is a shame as the models are quite good for the price.

Smith's have way too many partworks to deal with at any one time. This latest railway one was probably deemed low priority. Ealing branch certainly don't stock it.

The body is not a Bachmann moulding. I can categorically state it's based on the Hornby model......

Don't you mean "copied from" rather than "based on"?

Edited by Horsetan

I dropped into my local WH Smiths today, and they had sold out of all of the first parts, so had the other newsagent in town!

I think that the underlying problem here is that the first part featured a very famous locomotive and it was released at a very cheap price.

By the way, WH Smiths think part two will be out in "a couple" of weeks, the other newsagent thinks it will be out next week.

I think that the underlying problem here is that the first part featured a very famous locomotive and it was released at a very cheap price.

That, and the LNER modellers being quicker than the featured locomotive in buying them up!

Having seen this in a Sainsburys  but having no need for an A4 .... I'll get interested at the point where it offers something not available RTR . Which may be never if all they are going to do is knockoff clones of existing RTR through laser scanning.

Assuming it gets that far the first items of even potential interest would be - remotely the Jinty (perhaps motorised with any available cheap Hornby 0-6-0 chassis ) or Butler Henderson - though I'm not clear how you'd motorise that short of buying a Bachmann D11 - at which point you might as well not bother with the mag.

Now if they cared to scan a few Ks kits (MR Spinner, Beyer Peacock 4-4-0T) or a Kitmaster Stirling Single or a GEM Precedent it might get more interesting

In the meantime it may provide a useful source of LNER tenders and raw material for B17/6 , P2 and W1 hacks for others

I dropped into my local WH Smiths today, and they had sold out of all of the first parts, so had the other newsagent in town!

By the way, WH Smiths think part two will be out in "a couple" of weeks, the other newsagent thinks it will be out next week.

It should be next week as it is supposed to be fortnightly and the first part was released on the 19th of February.

Hi,

Lets sincerely hope they don't copy things like old Keyser kits although the Kitmaster Stirling Single would be very good to have.

The old K's kits often had major dimensional errors that would make turning any copy into a decent model a much harder process.

Regards

A Stirling Single is likely, considering the NRM connection. The problem would be getting hold of a Kitmaster to copy. (Not impossible of course.)

I doubt that dimensional errors would worry them all that much considering the low price of the finished product, but there are plenty of recent models to keep them going.

Don't you mean "copied from" rather than "based on"?

It's not 100% a copy. It is effectively the Hornby body shell, but engineered to be simplified, hence my use of the term "based on". There's no doubt the Hornby model was the original source of dimensions but the GBL A4 is a much simplified body shell with a lot of the separately fitted details being moulded in (such as the safety valves). The cab fittings including the back head and cab seats are differently moulded too.

• RMweb Gold

The obvious problem is that what is on offer appears to be a range of dumbed-down (probably laser-scanned) copies of models that have already been done better (and often, to death) by others. I hope nobody is holding their breath waiting for any surprises.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

List of the first 20 taken from another forum so hopefully correct

1. Mallard

2. Coronation

3. Flying Scotsman

4. 28xx

5. Stowe 'Schools’ Class

6. ‘Deltics’ 

7. Evening Star

8. No. 44781 ‘Black Five'

9. City of Truro

10. Gresley ‘K3’

11. Bulleid ‘West Country’ unrebuilt

12. Fowler 3F ‘Jinty’

13. Collett ‘Castle’

14. No. 1000 ‘Compound'

15. BR standard ‘4MT’ tank

16. Locomotion

17. Sulzer ‘Peaks’

18. Butler Henderson

19. 45xx

20. 'T9’

Locomotion stands out as the only one not obviously a copy.

Didn't Bachmann do a large scale static model of Locomotion?

John

The Cornishman shop in Penzance had one yesterday. Last one on the shelf so I got another one with the intentions of doing some modelling with, quite what modelling yet I don't know.

Rhys

The obvious problem is that what is on offer appears to be a range of dumbed-down (probably laser-scanned) copies of models that have already been done better (and often, to death) by others. I hope nobody is holding their breath waiting for any surprises.

John

Maybe so but if you are modelling in P4 it is a good starting point as you are not having to pay for a chassis and wheels that aren't required.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe so but if you are modelling in P4 it is a good starting point as you are not having to pay for a chassis and wheels that aren't required.

I somehow think that may not be a market the publishers are actively targeting! :jester:

John