Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I can see the point of reducing the number produced for certain models. I bought 5 black fives I can't see me buying lots of city of truros. However it must have been a drastically reduced number of models as there were none to be found yesterday.despite me looking in two Asdas and 2 WH Smith's. My subscription copy didn't arrive yesterday either.

At least one K3 was Green .Bachmann have done a version as No 1935 no idea if pre or post war probably post war as a number of locos had single examples done e.g V1/V3  and J72 both also done by Bachmann.

1935 was from the post 1946 renumbered series.

http://www.lner.info/locos/K/k3k5.shtml

1108 is shown in the above link in what appears to be green, but could well be photographic grey (usual caveat). LNER plans to repaint their locomotives green was curtailed by nationalisation. It would have taken many years to implement in any case.

AFAIK 9522 was the only N2 to appear in green (done by Wrenn (in their version of the less than perfect Dublo model), but incorrectly as 9522 had condensing pipes. The Dublo 9596 is another example of Meccano Ltd. jumping the gun (again AFAIK).

Rous-Marten was perhaps not that "well respected" as I have read some criticisms of his timing technique (like not keeping his head still) and sadly Kennedy's notebook was thrown out when he died so that record is unavailable to us. There is also the possibility that if one of the mileposts was misplaced, that could have led to both recorders noting erroneous speeds.

However I did some calculations a few years ago (sadly also lost) which showed that if Truro did 80mph at the exit of Whiteball Tunnel as recorded by Rous-Marten, then she would have only had to have overcome the train's resistance to motion (and yes, I appreciate that at that speed even that is not a negligible force!) in order to reach 100mph at the bottom - gravity would have done the rest!

I have also on one occasion recreated the Ocean Mails as closely as possible in Microsoft Train Simulator, achieved 80mph at Whiteball and subsequent speed at the bottom of the bank was ... 102.3mph! So even allowing the concessions in my first paragraph, I'm sure 3440 was capable of such a speed. 

That rather tallies with my thoughts on the claim that something of the order of 1500 bhp* being required to accelerate the train. was the effect of gravity ignored? I had read somewhere that GWR carriages would have reached 90mph by themselves (apparently the resistance due to friction was 15lb/ton, but I'm not sure if this is static or dynamic). Calculations are rather hampered by missing data (which actual vehicles were involved, wind speed and direction etc.)

*i wouldn't like to claim even this figure to be impossible in the short term. A 'Saint' was timed at 135mph in 1906 (signal box passing times so not reliable) so 100mph was certainly not impossible for a locomotive with a Churchward boiler and front end.

1935 was from the post 1946 renumbered series.

http://www.lner.info/locos/K/k3k5.shtml

1108 is shown in the above link in what appears to be green, but could well be photographic grey (usual caveat). LNER plans to repaint their locomotives green was curtailed by nationalisation. It would have taken many years to implement in any case.

AFAIK 9522 was the only N2 to appear in green (done by Wrenn (in their version of the less than perfect Dublo model), but incorrectly as 9522 had condensing pipes. The Dublo 9596 is another example of Meccano Ltd. jumping the gun (again AFAIK).

I'd say works grey, as it is labeled as:

'Gresley K3/5 No. 1108, Armstrong Whitworth works picture (M. Peirson)'

The darts are just plain strange. Is the tender a little low? The steps don't seem to be in line. The chimney is easy to correct, though. The dart should be easy enough to carve off and then it would just be a case of repainting the smokebox and chimney, a bit of detail painting here or there. Shame about the handrails. But will be a nice shelf-filler.

The tender steps appear to be separate mouldings and thus liable to be stuck on skew. Mine has the cab step damaged, but she will probably end up with Kitmaster frames and wheels (there should be some in the spares box!). The tender axleboxes don't seem to line up with the wheel centres (these are the usual one piece casting so shouldn't be too difficult to remedy.

If only the 28xx had been this good!

Edited by Il Grifone

No sign of Truro in my local Asda. They have had all previous issues. The space on the shelf was taken up with some cake related magazine. Bah! If there is still demand I don't see why the publisher would reduce the numbers supplied.

Nothing wrong with cake.

I'd say works grey, as it is labeled as:

'Gresley K3/5 No. 1108, Armstrong Whitworth works picture (M. Peirson)'

Rather what I thought and thus not a very reliable livery guide.

The darts are just plain strange. Is the tender a little low? The steps don't seem to be in line. The chimney is easy to correct, though. The dart should be easy enough to carve off and then it would just be a case of repainting the smokebox and chimney, a bit of detail painting here or there. Shame about the handrails. But will be a nice shelf-filler.

The whole thing just looks weird. The only bit I could probably use out of this new issue is the smokebox / boiler / firebox to help correct the Airfix one, but I don't fancy trying to saw them off the rest of the moulding. Think I'll pass on this one - the Black 5 is already enough of a handful.

The tender steps appear to be separate mouldings and thus liable to be stuck on skew. Mine has the cab step damaged, but she will probably end up with Kitmaster frames....

The Kitmaster outside frames are incorrect, since they have an extended section forward of the steps (in front of the driving axle). The footplate was also extended to correspond with this, and this is also incorrect. The curve up to the section covering the driving wheels is thus about 4mm further forward than it needs to be.

It looks as if the error originated in an outline drawing that appeared in Russell's book on GW Engines, Volume 2, decades ago. There are at least two "City" drawings in that book, and only the second one is correct in respect of the outside frames.

Edited by Horsetan

Just to be a bit more accurate with regards to the City Of Truro release from GBL

The Firebox, Boiler, Smokebox and Smokebox Saddle are secured to the footplate using a screw under the front bogie, the screw is to one side of the centreline.

The cab on mine just slid straight over the back of the firebox. The backhead is secured to the footplate, along with the cab furniture on the insides of the cab.

The only thing that is screaming out "WRONG" to me is the position of the coupling rods, they are both up on the moulding, and that doesn't look right to me.

P.S. Does anyone know if there was ever a "City Of Oxford" and if so what number would it have been.

As they might be dropping out of the stores, I've bitten the bullet and subscribed.

I subscribed in March. Had four payments go out and one model recieved, the schools. They're getting another phone call tomorrow!

Cheers

Shane

One in Penzance smiths and one in the Cornishman shop very tempted but think I'm going to wait and get a Bachmann city to make Truro (being a local loco, in name at least whether the allocation history is too I don't know, it's a must have eventually!)

Rhys

Picked up a City of Truro from WHS. On mine the cab was not fitted right and would not properly fit in place over the boiler moulding into the slots on either side of the running plates. I ended up gluing it in place and trimming the boiler moulding to remove the cab holding slots. Tried removing all of the bogie fixings bar the central one but the amount of adjustment away from a straight line remains very limited.

Edited by Butler Henderson

.....The Firebox, Boiler, Smokebox and Smokebox Saddle are secured to the footplate using a screw under the front bogie, the screw is to one side of the centreline.....

Aha, so for nine quid, I could lift these off and bin the rest. Hmmm.....got to have a think about this....

Finally got one well two anyway very impressed with it. It's not as finely detailed as the Bachmann model but nobody was expecting it to be at this price. 

I've been waiting for weatheringman to do his always excellent review. There are a basic jobs to do which will make a big improvement to the look of the model first of all the extra smokebox dart. I have carved off the top dart and filled down what was left of it, It just needs a touch up with paint this may involve repainting the entire smokebox the chimney will also be repainted at the same time. To me the biggest fault is with the tender underframe the metal web that includes the wheels just looks wrong. 

I have unscrewed it and replaced it with the tender wheels from the Dapol kit. Looks a lot better but I will need to find a paint to match the dark red of the underframe any suggestions?

The interior of the cab is very visible on these locos unlike say the black 5 or the 9f and will benefit from being painted and having the pipework picked out. 

Regarding the connecting rods both being in the up position it won't matter too much as you cannot see both sides at the same time.

So like I said a very nice model as far as I can see not a lot wrong with it.

• Like 2

Called in at K.S. Models, Stevenage, in the 10 minutes before closing time to buy a pair of door handles for the Black 5.... There were a couple of other "last items" in stock which I also snaffled.

Getting to Stevenage on the A1(M) is a real pain now as huge jams seem to form after Welwyn Garden City....

No GBL models at Asda Wembley so, if you're thinking of dropping in there on the off-chance, don't bother; I checked this morning. Apparently they're focusing on the cake-making partwork......

Edited by Horsetan

I saw a couple of models of City of Truro in my local Asda today. Looks nice enough although the finish was varied. The number was not straight on one, and the paint work dodgy on the other. I will definitely get one though.

I subscribed in March. Had four payments go out and one model recieved, the schools. They're getting another phone call tomorrow!

Cheers

Shane

I gave them a call shortly after posting, within 10 days I should get 1-4 and 6 onwards sometime afterwards. They had already been sent but never turned up. If nothing comes this time they will take it up with the Post Office!

cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27
  • Like 1