RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

It's hard to tell the origins based on the shot, but the moulded cab window frames has me worried.....

Looking at an enlarged pic it appears to be based on the old Hornby model, which has Triang origins! The front bogie is a give away with its small wheels and integral steps.....

The big give away here is excessive buffer height and a rather strange tender shape. If this turns out to be the case (as seems likely) it's another that won't be joining my collection.

It would probably be easier to just combine the Dapol plastic kit and Albert Goodall detailing parts.

• RMweb Premium

WHSmith Union St. Brum had loads of CoT in stock today 20+? In two locations

That's the most I've seen for a while.

Some old guy in there said to me: "I've bought 6 of them so far and every one works"!!!

I tried to tell him they were just plastic and mazak and the wheels don't turn, but he wouldn't have it! :jester:

Keith

A combination of subscribing and being in France for the past few weeks means that I haven't seen CofT yet!

I can't decide what to turn it into. I'm also getting a hankering for a steampunk rebuild of something (though a Dapol would be OK for that...).

Errm....it's not out for at least another week.

Although that date was already in my diary I just wondered if any subscriber deliveries had got ahead of shop dates.

By the way, I'm considering that other suggestion of yours from earlier today.

Edited by gr.king

I'm toying with using the top half of the GBL Truro with the bottom half of an Airfix Truro. I also have a spare front bogie from a Bachmann City of London. That way I get a better paint job than I could hope to line out for a static model.

• Like 1

I just got a City of Truro for no other reason that I fancy it .it may also be handy for making a GWR crew  to fit it  without covering  a Bachmann model that I havnt  got with epoxy putty ( i'm a messy worker ).The model isnt too bad but the printing on one cab side is hopelessly off centre which spoils a good model .The cure is simple .Turn the model round to look at the good side .Still 8.99 well spent .

• Like 7

I still like the Dukedog conversion idea. Could be some mileage in that one.....

The Airfix magazine conversion involves messing about with dowel rod wrapped in plastic card, together with fitting the extended cranks from the 'City' kit to the 'Prairie' drivers (tricky to get square and concentric without a lathe!). Mods are also required to the cab. The boiler fittings involve extending the 'Truro' chimney  :no:  and using K's dome and safety valve casing (not so easy to find these days, though alternatives might be available). It might be worth a try for all that.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

....boiler fittings involve extending the 'Truro' chimney  :no:  and using K's dome and safety valve casing (not so easy to find these days, though alternatives might be available). It might be worth a try for all that.

247 Developments do offer a Dukedog chimney, and Springside have an exquisite safety valve. The dome, I'm not so sure....

Would a Hornby 'Lord of the Isles' dome suffice?

Assuming it is the correct scale size, it should be about right. From a quick check of the drawings in Russell, the singles, Dukes and Dukedogs all had very similarly sized domes, about 3' diameter and the top is about 3' above the top of the boiler cladding.

Nick

Springside apparently list two sizes of dome - one for a Dean Single, the other for a 14xx. Matter of judgment?

The Airfix magazine conversion involves messing about ....

Something I'm sure you'll agree I can do quite well.... :jester:

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Springside apparently list two sizes of dome - one for a Dean Single, the other for a 14xx. Matter of judgment?...

Not really, again from Russell's drawings, the 14XX dome is somewhat smaller, about 2'5" diameter and 2'9" above the top of the boiler cladding.

Nick

Edited by buffalo

^^

Now these are intriguing...... :mail:

Turns out that there was a similar Dukedog conversion in the August 1964 issue of Model Railway Constructor.

The MRC magazine conversion involves a scratch built Boiler and firebox, with cast chimney, dome, and safety valve from the K's Dean Goods kit.

The extended cranks from the 'City' kit were fitted to the drivers from a "Kitmaster" Schools kit with steel axles, in lieu of wheels of the correct diameter. The builder planned to change the wheels if better ones were available.

The cab is also scratch built, and the tender side sheets extended upwards.

There is no motorisation either! The builder was planning a motorised tender for a 43XX Conversion (Both as featured in the April 1961 edition of MRC.)

3 1/2 Pages, with model drawings (Not scale drawings!) and photos. 1 photo, front 3/4 view, of the Starboard side of 9017 (Not captioned.)

The model is also illustrated on the front cover alongside a modified Superquick Loco shed.

MRC August 1964. Vol. 31 No.364. Pages 201-204.

Edited by Sarahagain

The MRC magazine conversion involves a scratch built Boiler and firebox, with cast chimney, dome, and safety valve from the K's Dean Goods kit.

...The cab is also scratch built, and the tender side sheets extended upwards.

There is no motorisation either! The builder was planning a motorised tender for a 43XX Conversion (Both as featured in the April 1961 edition of MRC.)

3 1/2 Pages, with model drawings (Not scale drawings!) and photos. 1 photo, front 3/4 view, of the Starboard side of 9017 (Not captioned.)

The model is also illustrated on the front cover alongside a modified Superquick Loco sdhed.

MRC August 1964. Vol. 31 No.364. Pages 201-204.

I've got an old copy of the Airfix magazine article on the way, so will have a look at that particular method (or maybe it was the same author?). Thing is, when I finally get my Aifix/Crownline/GBL/Branchlines hybrid "City" done, there'll be a fair few parts left over, and it seemed a pity to waste those.....

...and I have the Russell drawings book anyway, which has been incredibly useful reference over the years.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

I'm glad to see that the list of Airfix Magazine articles was of interest.  At a loose end yesterday, I scanned the articles onto my computer with the idea that any interested parties could e-mail me for scans of any that they thought might be useful.  As the magazine ceased publication, for the second time, decades ago and the articles are c45 years old, I don't suppose anyone would mind this arrangement but if anyone feels that there is a legal or moral objection to my making them available, I'd be grateful if they'd let me know.  Failing that, I'll make them available from Monday.  E-mail me directly at my address below to avoid cluttering up the thread.

The Cuckoo - You make a very good point about the lack of material available for the early periods of transport modelling.  I'm surprised to hear that there's a shortage of GWR models, though, as I had always thought that the GWR had a very wide enthusiast following.  I have the same difficulty in finding useful material for the earlier periods of road vehicle history but I've found a good many pdf files of early books on the subject on the Internet Archive. There seems to be a lot of railway material there and it might pay you to take a look if you haven't already.  Here are two links to searches for GWR titles:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=Great%20Western%20Railway

https://archive.org/search.php?query=GWR

If you use these links, remember that a proportion of the titles relate to the Great Western Railway of Canada and a few entries are for a railway in Ireland.

Il Grifone - Your 43XX models seem to have followed the same path as many of my Airfix Mag conversions.  Mine were mostly military vehicles and were scrapped when later sources revealed how inaccurate some of them were.  Some of Chris Ellis' guesses were very wide of the mark.  Even so, a few remain in the scrap box in the loft as souvenirs of a simpler time.

RJS1977 - Your Aberdare conversion looks as if it turned out well.  The photograph presumably shows it in undercoat.

Best wishes,

Gordon McLaughlin

northduk@googlemail.com

The 25555 dome is indeed the same differing only in finish (the ones I've seen were silver). It wouldn't matter for a 'Dukedog' of course.

They turn up on eBay from time to time.

The 61xx Prairie wheels should be the right diameter, as both locomotives had 5' 8" drivers. (I've not actually measured them).

The Dean Single dome always looked bigger than the Duke version to me - I'll have to investigate further.

K's did a 'Dukedog' kit once upon a time.