Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Chassis available from SEF. About £40, I think. Designed by the late Alistair Rolfe; it's a good 'un.

So - in theory mind - £40+£9 could give you a half decent K3 for under £50. The individual touches you could apply to the K3 model include perhaps backdating it (the buffer beam alone would allow a starting point for a GNR liveried and modified one - you'd need to change the cab and the tender too) or providing it with a flared tender. I myself am now wondering whether my K5 build should use a SEF chassis, Hornby B1 cylinders and the GBL body shell, suitably modified. We shall see...

Er, no. You still need wheels....gears...motor!

Thanks for the update Ivan - I had assumed that they were included from your initial post.

That's disappointing; so effectively it's £40 for the chassis etch and nowt else? That puts a crimp on the idea frankly.

Just got the last K3 from Asda Wigan. Not a patch on some earlier models, mine has a bent frame and wonky lettering. The driving wheels are pathetic, rest is OK though. I bought this K3 with the intention of very heavy weathering and placing along with a Black 5 & GW 2-8-0 at the back of the Central Wagon Works scrapyard on my layout. The bent frame will be left as is, the reason for "withdrawal for scrapping". All above 3 types where scrapped at Wigan in the 60's. These locos are a godsend for scrapyard scenes.

A 2-6-4 tank will join them - when's that due out ?.

Brit15.

• Like 2

Two CoT's arrived in this remote corner today. I like 'em! Nothing broken, all bits in place. One strange thing; black tender springs on one and Indian Red springs on the other!

Two CoT's arrived in this remote corner today. I like 'em! Nothing broken, all bits in place. One strange thing; black tender springs on one and Indian Red springs on the other!

A little black paint will soon sort that! :)

• Like 1

Just got the last K3 from Asda Wigan. Not a patch on some earlier models, mine has a bent frame and wonky lettering. The driving wheels are pathetic, rest is OK though. I bought this K3 with the intention of very heavy weathering and placing along with a Black 5 & GW 2-8-0 at the back of the Central Wagon Works scrapyard on my layout. The bent frame will be left as is, the reason for "withdrawal for scrapping". All above 3 types where scrapped at Wigan in the 60's. These locos are a godsend for scrapyard scenes.

A 2-6-4 tank will join them - when's that due out ?.

Brit15.

Due the 3rd of September according to my calculations and assuming they keep to the expected order of releases.

What, the real thing? Or the Hornby Margate version, which many suspect is the one being cloned by GBL?

I was a week early with my question so I'll save my answer to your question until then. :locomotive:

Hi All,

Thankyou Shane for your wondering - its nice to feel missed.

I'm sorry for my absence this last couple of weeks. I was about to post my review of the City of Truro but later in the morning my poor health overtook me somewhat and that was that.

By the time I was in any position to look at posting the review and pictures there were several other postings covering the CoT so I felt that it would be rather silly to duplicate these with my review.

As to the latest GBL loco, although I received my usual batch on the day before they went on general sale this time, I wasn't able to get on with a review due to being at the hospital.

Now, if all continues to go well I will be able to get back into the reviews from the next issue - the Bulleid light pacific - including a full set of photographs of the model - the camera is still set up from CoT.

Just to get things going I will say that the light pacific is not likely to impress most Southern modellers so don't rush out and start buying up Hornby chassis - this comment is based on information available to me at this moment but I can say that the picture on the GBL website of the model, will, if studied closely, show that this loco will not be as we might have hoped.

Once again thankyou all.

Best Regards.

There is only one thing to say, and that is to wish you well WeatheringMan with the strongest of feelings.

I was very concerned about your absence and as ever feared the worst, so I am overjoyed that you are returning to (hopefully) rude good health.

It puts all this hobby stuff into perspective.

Take it easy and here's looking at a steady recovery.

• Like 2

Welcome back mate we have missed you and your excellent reviews. If you have already written them please post them in case we overlooked anything.

But much more importantly get well soon.

And yes we would love to see your photos of your layouts 

Hello,

I must admit that I normally wait for your review and buy accordingly, thanks for all the effort you put in on our behalf it is greatly appreciated. Hope you will be back on top form soon. Getting ill and old is a real bummer.

Regards

....Placing the new rivets around the smokebox door ring is playing havoc with my eyesight, which is just annoying. :nono:  The cab glazing needs removing and modification.

Still on the Black 5, the offside mudhole door covers have finally been shifted forward on the firebox, although this involved the scalpel blade going a bit too far on one so that I stabbed my own thumb.

The glue holding the cab glazing in place is proving very hard to break.

• Like 1

Still on the Black 5, the offside mudhole door covers have finally been shifted forward on the firebox, although this involved the scalpel blade going a bit too far on one so that I stabbed my own thumb.

The glue holding the cab glazing in place is proving very hard to break.

Been there! Done that! Got the sticking plaster! :sad_mini2:

My glazing came away quite easily one side - the other broke in two, which is of little importance because new glazing is necessary anyway, as I think some remedial work is necessary on the cab windows shapewise.

(I thought I'd posted this last night, but it appears to have been lost in cyber space (not the first time!)).

Edited by Il Grifone

The Jinty is now up on the GBL site

http://www.greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/the-models/

It's hard to tell from the tiny picture, but it seems OK and from a recent model - the buffers look to be at the right height.

Shouldn't the lettering be yellow rather than gold? or is that one of those things which depended on.....

Edited by Il Grifone

Been there! Done that! Got the sticking plaster! :sad_mini2:

My glazing came away quite easily one side - the other broke in two, which is of little importance because new glazing is necessary anyway, as I think some remedial work is necessary on the cab windows shapewise.

I think the cab windows are OK if you're modelling the ones built up to about 1944, but they need a reduction in height if representing the post-1944 batches.

I have now drawn and cut out the weird shape to be folded up to represent the sloping bunker in the tender body. 20thou black plasticard. Cuts quite easily.

post-6879-0-00931800-1404511062_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1