Great British Locomotives

EddieB

The Jinty is now up on the GBL site

http://www.greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/the-models/

It's hard to tell from the tiny picture, but it seems OK and from a recent model - the buffers look to be at the right height.

Shouldn't the lettering be yellow rather than gold? or is that one of those things which depended on.....

Another one for repainting BR black. Unlined of course looking forward to the jinty not sure what to do with the light Pacific I toyed with the idea of BR green but it would need lining. Maybe leave one till I have forgotten how much of a pain the lining is  :scratchhead:

• Like 3

John - I've got a Hornby Jinty in late BR (47646, overhead warning flashes) body which has lost 2 sets of steps - only damage I can see. Yours if you want it, up for swapsies? If you do, pm me.

As it has brake rods and without getting my NCC model out to compare with the small picture it, looks very Bachmann to me, the look of the front looks lower than the Hornby one. In a way I was hoping it was going to be the Hornby one as have a Railroad diesel shunter I was going to donate the chassis to, lets see what clearance there is. Was also hoping it would have been a late BR version but not hard to redecorate.

Two quick questions for those who are more knowledgeable than myself. What is the pipe thing on one side of the boiler, between the smokebox and the tanks? I have been looking at several pictures of Jinties in recent weeks and not every one has them, like the keyholes on the tanks. When were these Jinties withdrawn from Birkenhead? I think I read somewhere that the9Fs ended up doing Jinty work in the end.

Anyway, stick me down for half a dozen. Let's see if the smokebox door is attached to where it should be and not somewhere silly like the top of the chimney or included in a cake making set...

I think this part was the ejector for the vacuum brakes, hence those without this part shouldn't have vacuum pipes on the buffer beams?

The same applies to the 3f 0-6-0 Tender Locomotives (as the R.251 Tri-ang models, and the later Bachmann versions....).

Tri-ang Hornby later R.251 "Midland Maroon". With Vacuum Ejector (Moulded on detail.)

gallery_12119_3162_137939.jpg

The "Keyholes" were the access holes for the centre sandboxes, not all locomotives had the centre sandboxes, hence not all have keyholes.

The original B.R. Unlined Black Tri-ang Railways R.52 "Jinty" had keyholes (and the very early ones had "daylight" under the boiler, but this was filled with the front chassis weight, so was filled in on later mouldings). These were removed when the "Lined Black" livery (not accurate!) was introduced, as they got in the way of the lining.

An Early Tri-ang Railways R.52 Unlined Black "Jinty" 1954 (CA Plastic). Keyholes, but no Vacuum Ejector.

gallery_12119_3162_130001.jpg

gallery_12119_3162_46992.jpg

An Early Tri-ang Railways R.52 Lined Black "Jinty" 1956 (CA Plastic). No Keyholes.

gallery_12119_3162_93984.jpg

Bachmann "Jinty". Vacuum Fitted...(Re-lettered and Weathered for Ffrwd Locks...)

gallery_12119_3162_175290.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 3

As it has brake rods and without gettng my NCC model out to compare with the small picture it, looks very Bachmann to me, the look of the front looks lower than the Hornby one. In a way I was hoping it was going to be the Hornby one as have a Railroad diesel shunter I was going to dontate the chassis to, lets see what clearance there is. Was also hoping it would have been a late BR version but not hard to redecorate.

Two quick questions for those who are more knowledgable than myself. What is the pipe thing on one side of the boiler, between the smokebox and the tanks? I have been looking at several pictures of Jinties in recent weeks and not every one has them, like the keyholes on the tanks. When were these Jinties withdrawn from Birkenhead? I think I read somewhere that the9Fs ended up doing Jinty work in the end.

Anyway, stick me down for half a dozen. Let's see if the smokebox door is attached to where it should be and not somewhere silly like the top of the chimney or included in a cake making set...

The pipe on the right side is for the vacuum ejector. This was only on locos with Vac. brakes although most were fitted. The hole in the tanks is the filler for the rear sanders. Originally the sandbox filler was on top of the tank and then on later batches moved to the keyhole on the tank side. This was not successful so it was moved again to below the running plate. Only certain btaches had the keyhole feature. The last Jinties were not withdrawn until Oct. 1967. I believe those at Birkenhead lasted until the end of steam or at least not far short.

• Like 1

The K6 is still available in Sainsbury's North Cheam.

Well now you have invented it, we have to work out what it might be.

Got it.

Take the ageing Gresley K2's frames, wheelsets and GN pattern tender. Rebuild with cab, boiler, cylinders and gear standard with the K1. It'll look very attractive and slightly puzzle those who actually know the LNER's designs.

• Like 2

How about buying 2 and waiting a day before getting the rest? It might be a gamble but i wonder if nostalgia (Triang) might get a few sales. Let's open things out for the hobby.

[still holding out for that Y7 on the original blurb. I know...]

• Like 1

....have now drawn and cut out the weird shape to be folded up to represent the sloping bunker in the tender body. 20thou black plasticard. Cuts quite easily.

...and the shape folds up to form the basic sloping bunker. It's a bit long for the GBL tender shell, so will need trimming back...

post-6879-0-73300100-1404593233_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-65281900-1404593292_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

If the Jinty is as good as the K3/6 then mine will be up for swapsies. As will the K3. And whatever turns up on Wednesday by way of overstocked N gauge unwanteds (by the company). I must admit to looking forward to the Castle. Might repaint it to be like the Denbigh Dublo I had as a kid.

Aren't subscribers due the binders about now?

Edited by Smiffy2

omis

Many thanks for the replies regarding the Jinties and especially to Sarahagain for all the effort and pictures. I wonder how many of these very early pre-Margate Tri-ang models have survived without the warping?

None AFAIK. Every item of early Tri-ang I have seen has some evidence of warping (like Farish coaches and Trix Cadet 0-4-0Ts and other plastic items). It's just some are worse than others - A TC tank car I have is almost straight. Most makes used the wretched stuff for windows and invariably it has shrunk (and often ballooned in or out as well).

Edited by Il Grifone

None AFAIK. Every item of early Tri-ang I have seen has some evidence of warping (like Farish coaches and Trix Cadet 0-4-0Ts and other plastic items). It's just some are worse than others - A TC tank car I have is almost straight. Most makes used the wretched stuff for windows and invariably it has shrunk (and often ballooned in or out as well).

It must have been equivalent to the mazak contamination we're getting today.

It must have been equivalent to the mazak contamination we're getting today.

It its way, with the excuse that the material was still relatively new and experimental and there was nothing better - the switch to polystyrene in the mid fifties solved most of the warping problems.

Mazak problems had the same excuse back then, but not today!

omis

Might repaint it to be like the Denbigh Dublo I had as a kid.

Aren't subscribers due the binders about now?

You could probably get the genuine article for not a lot more than the cost of the GBL item plus the necessary transfers etc.

I believe the binders are due after the 'free' N gauge dust collectors static models. The website says every 16 parts, which suggests sometime next month or September.

• Like 1

The only one on the bay at the moment is at £135! So it looks like a jiggle and repaint job.

I got mine for £7.10.0 in Piles in Wallington's sale. Queued from 5 in the morning, too. When I went to college I gave it away...  That and a Farish Pannier tank, which I'd repainted and a fictional 'Cathedral' (ie a Triang Princess repainted in GWR colours. Well I was only 12 when I did it.)

• Like 2

I might just do that, if anyone wants to sell one or more, put it in the classifieds probably be best thing. Certain locos are of particular interest to me right now, mainly Jinties and 9Fs.

I've been waiting for quite some time for the magazine company to send me a replacement 9F, that's the problem with so called customer care - they don't care. I held off buying another for my blue liveried one as they promised that they would be sending one and didn't, subsequent enquiries were met with utter garbage regarding a proposed takeover of some insurance company. Really bad customer service. Wish I never sent the iffy one back as have found an old Tri-ang tender body which would have been better than the state of my one with the botched superglue repair.

Many thanks for the replies regarding the Jinties and especially to Sarahagain for all the effort and pictures. I wonder how many of these very early pre-Margate Tri-ang models have survived without the warping?

Tri-ang production moved to Margate from the Rovex factory at Richmond in stages around 1954. The first Jinties were made in 1953.

From later 1956, Polystyrene Plastic ("High Impact") was used for most items.

The Cellulose Acetate Plastic was, I believe, at least partly made from Timber (Wood or Tree) products. At least that is what an early Advert made in the USA prompting timber products, and fronted by Laurel and Hardy (yes, them).

To a large extent, the quality of the tool making affected the warping. The R.71 Footbridge being a better known example of a model that doesn't warp so badly as some other models (The R.23 LMS (AKA "Bannana") coaches.

The thinner a moulding, the worse the warping. To the extent that Polystyrene Plastic was introduced first for the R.70 level Crossing, and the canopies for the R.60 Ticket Office well before 1956. It is common for a CA Plastic R.60 to have originally had Poly Plastic canopies. (CA R.70 LCs and R.60 Canopies are therefore not common, especially as they would have been disposed of when they no longer fitted the track or buildings.

Here are some more Jinties....possible livery ideas?

Missing from here...The original Tri-ang Railways  "BRITISH RAILWAYS" in yellow, no number, version....

(Picture)

Tri-ang Railways 1956 R52 Jinty with Early Crest and MkIIb Couplings (First Poly Plastic model. Late Crest from C1957)

gallery_12119_3162_37599.jpg

Tri-ang Railways 1957-1956 R52S Jinty with Large Late Crest and MkIIb Couplings (Last MkIIb Couplings model. MkIII from 1959)

gallery_12119_3162_72761.jpg

Tri-ang Railways 1961-1964 R52S Jinty with Seuthe Type smoke unit. (First Side Screw Bodies)

gallery_12119_3162_96238.jpg

Tri-ang Railways C1964 R52S Jinty with Synchrosmoke Type smoke unit. (The front numberplate and class "3f" on the cab sides has been "code 3" painted in!)

gallery_12119_3162_115781.jpg

Missing From Here. Tri-ang Hornby R.558S "Battle Space" Khaki "Jinty" with Smoke, All khaki, no lettering. Just a Battle Space Sticker on each tank.

(Picture)

Tri-ang Hornby / Hornby Railways 1970-1972 R.377S GN&SR From "The Railway Children"Set Jinty with smoke.

gallery_12119_3162_124197.jpg

Tri-ang Hornby / Hornby Railways 1970-1973 R52RS LMS Maroon Jinty with smoke.

gallery_12119_3162_27851.jpg

A late example of the BR Jinty with smoke unit and smaller Later Crests. C1973 Hornby Railways.

gallery_12119_3162_78761.jpg

The last use of the original style Jinty Tooling. 1973 Hornby Railways Train Set Loco 2021.

gallery_12119_3162_169482.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

Can you still buy the locomotives in shops? I really want a couple of jintys to convert to NCC ones and practise weathering on.

The Jinty is not due for another fortnight (the Bulleid Pacific is out next on Wednesday. They should be available from the publisher direct according to the blurb on the backing card/magazine.