RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I have come to this thread a bit late, Are these kits any good please?. Thought they were 4mm scale but someone talking about N gauge, not been through all the thread

Evening Mr H! If I may be so bold as to offer some advice - presumably you have favourites that are on the GBL List of releases (published on various sources - I can message you the details if you haven't btw). The series started on Wed 19 February and thence every two weeks after. By referring to this schedule or calculation by calendar, select the page number on the GBL thread here and see what date the first comment is, ideally select the day before the Wednesday in question, and the corresponding page number and the reviews of your chosen model/intended purchase should begin. This will save considerable wear & tear on your eyesight, and time! Sadly I did not practise this to begin with! Hope this helps.

Just started trashing a Castle, stripped and sanded, handrails off and holes drilled, smokebox numberplate gone.

IMG_0030_zpsc57f6d17.jpg

I've tried sanding the cab roof - minimal difference, I think I'll have to live with that.

It's quite well moulded, just badly put together. Not too much in the way of mould lines. The .5mm gap between the capuchon and the rest of the chimney is going to be a b*gger, probably I'll saw the capuchon off and refix it with the kerf of the razor saw taking care of the gap.

Capuchon_zpsd80e7f61.jpg

Mind the Gap!

The reversing lever (which has the nameplate attached) is fitted into three holes in the boiler, but a moulding pip on one of the lugs meant that it just didn't fit. Cheep 'n cheerful!

IMG_0028_zps2b6e0ddc.jpg

Does anyone have any idea of what the small rectangle at the bottom right of the cab is on this picture? I've not seen it in any photos of Castles, but it's small and may not show up. It's going to make lining a bit tricky in that area.

IMG_0033_zpse2ffba4b.jpg

• Like 2

4-6-4T? Can't look any more daft than what Ulster Transprt did with the Jeeps (Fairburn?) 2-6-4T with a Fowler tender behind it. Whatwould you use for the bunker?

Mostly utilising 5MT boiler and front bogie (if I can find either!) and the 4MT tanks, cab, bunker and rear bogie.

post-14921-0-45352100-1407373381.jpg

Ian/Redgate Models posted the diagram on the old RMweb, but I don't know if it's from elsewhere before that

• Like 3

I've just realised that the left-hand handrail knobs are in the wrong position (if anyone cares). The second knob should be on the smokebox, about the same distance from the near end as the one on the front end, and the next (and only) other knob should be the one above the front splasher.

That's according to photo evidence, including 4073 in photo grey and 5051 in preservation.

I'm in shock...

Just picked up a Castle from Asda, Stevenage.

Paintwork, lining and plates ok, but cab, smoke-

box door and handbrake levers wonky.

Still, it's a donor/project model, so I can live with

those minor issues.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi,

Its a rather crude interpretation of the speedo cable yes - crude it may be but at least its there and could be trimmed up a bit to improve it for a static model.

Regards

I suspect just painting it black will help disguise it, just glad its there. I'm looking forward to these next two locos. I'm starting to see a little pattern emerging if the loco has black wheels it's a better model than those with silver wheels. 

Could it be two factories making these?.

According to the original playlist the loco for 20th August is the LMS compound, followed on September 3rd by the 4MT. That much is confirmed.

After that should come Locomotion, which we now know won't be pulling into a station near us any time in the future.

In the list in the magazine Locomotion has been replaced by the King - but surely that would be too soon after the Castle? (In fact I'm not certain that a non-enthusiast would know the difference). The other 'unplaced' loco is the Southern N class mogul. Or possibly everything gets shunted up one place (sorry).

Does anyone have any idea what September 17th's loco will be?

Hi,

I have already posted that the GBL 4MT is copied from the Bachmann model - the old HornbyDublo model never came into it i'm pleased to say!.

The 4MT is worth looking forward to and will without doubt find much use both as a static model and as the basis for some work to produce a motorised loco for layout use.

Regards

I had seen that - my remark was supposed to be half funny and half informative - Obviously it failed on both counts! :no:

I have a spare Dublo chassis just waiting for a body....... (But do I need* six 4MT tanks, especially as the Western never had any! (apart from some acquired through boundary changes)? I'll have to number her as one of the Tilbury line ones - if the past issues are any guide, it will need doing anyway.

* Of course I do!

Edited by Il Grifone

That was at the cover price plus postage? Rather than the €20 price sometimes quoted.

Indeed. Cover price plus 50p.

Mainly because I have spent a fair bit of time every fortnight 'agonising' over the incredibly variable quality control of the examples in Winchester WHS after reading TheWeatheringMan's extremely informative reviews before making my choice. I am not an experienced modeller and undoubtedly do not have your skills in reconstructing a badly finished example.  A single mail order example is thus a complete lottery.

Gareth

Surely a cheap enough lottery?

Thank goodness these two sound promising. I'm ready to rework some of them into Neverwazzas - a 5MT tank 4-6-4T

...you are not going to do the tank version of the 9F..........the 9MT 2-10-4....

Perhaps less spectacular, but the 26' wheelbase of the 8F is a 'drop in' replacement for the 25'6" of the '2-6' element of the Stanier 4MTT. Because the drivers are a foot smaller in diameter on the 8F, the vertical position of the rear of the last driver tyres matches up. The resulting 2-8-4T (probably a 7F) is both extremely handsome and looks so right as to be visually credible as a design. Some unseen redesign of the ashpan would have been necessary in reality.

It's been done before and looks so well that apparently many folks just accepted this 'neverwazza' when one was shown on an exhibition layout.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

It looks so wrong, it's right!

..... The resulting 2-8-4T (probably a 7F) is both extremely handsome and looks so right as to be visually credible as a design. Some unseen redesign of the ashpan would have been necessary in reality.

It's been done before and looks so well that apparently many folks just accepted this 'neverwazza' when one was shown on an exhibition layout.

The West and East German systems had their own rival suburban 2-8-4Ts, Br.65 and Br.65.10, so the British equivalent would have been interesting.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

As this discussion started about a 4-6-4T and how odd it might look I just thought I would point out for those that don't know that there was a British 4-6-4T built by the LB&SCR in 1914 see Wikipedia article here

Also if anyone is interested in seeing it I have motorised the GBL Jinty with an old Tri-ang chassis that I had lying around.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As this discussion started about a 4-6-4T and how odd it might look I just thought I would point out for those that don't know that there was a British 4-6-4T built by the LB&SCR in 1914 see Wikipedia article here

Also if anyone is interested in seeing it I have motorised the GBL Jinty with an old Tri-ang chassis that I had lying around.

Gary

There is this earlier one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LT%26SR_2100_Class

Or this later one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%26YR_Hughes_4-6-4T

Keith

Edited by melmerby

No sign of the Castle in either of my local WHS's but as someone bought the entire stock of 3Fs from one of them and as I live in GWR territor fear they may have been and gone. A shame because I particularly wanted the Castle simply as a static model.

Edited by Pacific231G

I'll have a look in Sainsbury's tomorrow. They usually have a few.

I've emailed GBL asking about the replacement for Locomotion, when the N Class is due and what happens after Issue 20.

If (and that's a proper IF) I get a reply I'll let you know...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Gary

I'd like to see that!

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to see that!

First a pic of the body and the chassis I used as its the only one I can find of the chassis before I did anything to it. The chassis was taken from a GWR Pannier that had a smoke unit and all I did to this was remove the smoke unit. The same effect could be achieved by taking a hacksaw to a solid chassis.

01chassisAndBodyPremod.jpg

and another showing the amount I had to cut away from the Jinty body although this doesn't show the fact I had to remove all the plastic on the underside of the firebox to fit the motor (I forgot to photo that and now the body is glued together and I can't manage to get a good picture atm).

02bodyAfterCuts.jpg

I then removed the brakegear from the GBL Chassis and attached the brakes to the Tri-ang Chassis. I had to remove the brake rods as these would not fit around the wheels I added some plastic to the brakes and attached some brass to represent the brake gear.

03chassisWithBrakes.jpg

And the best pic I can manage to get of the model as it stands now

04final.jpg

Still to do is to add a crew to try and hide what can be seen of the motor and give it a paint

Still it has some silver tyres on the wheels giving it that GBL feel lol.

EDIT: the mark you can see on the side of the smokebox is a bit of blue-tack holding the smokebox door on which I haven't glued yet as I plan on adding some weight into it to compensate for the lost weight of the smoke unit.

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 4

As far as I know the Butler Henderson, scheduled for October 15th hasn't been issued as r-t-r. It also doesn't appear in the list in the magazine.

At present the unpublished magazine-mentioned locos ("Some of the locos in the collection") are:

GWR King

LSWR T9

Inter City 125

LMR Rocket

SR N Class

BR Western

LMS Princess

LNER J39

So perhaps the Butler Henderson model has gone the way of Locomotion. It remains to be seen if they will be replaced or if the list will simply be shuffled up to fill the gaps.