Great British Locomotives

EddieB

When I cut the guides off the Lima model I included the vertical walls so the channel remained once attached to the GBL chassis, I had to pack it out at the edges.

I think this photo shows which end the panel is at- if you look next to the exhaust you can make out the matching roof ports that are only at one end on the GBL Deltic. The square nose panel is at the other end. Hopefully this link below works!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookephotography/898994745/in/photolist-acryk9-nbtczG-bjNwmY-e713wL-eUqSNt-auaMdc-dfmJp5-dfnHCL-dfmeQB-dfmkq2-dfnEVC-dfmhqa-dfnr8A-aiBWNM-n2MHkp-85xenw-n2MHsD-bjJGva-8Vs5MA-9UWZ6s-aiEMNE-9QdEXq-ajArCA-nDs5wi-7XVb1U-6ucUmf-nJFriT-4JScEQ-9FpeFS-auTg8E-dHqeDB-9sg2uy-nuJtwr-69ZqKw-awXWt6-aeppBB-9WDLhP-grBBhX-mmNmgx-2nrzPp-68dem5-avpkjH-avrZC9-7iVa5M-69END3-99hmGs-4Ps8bj-dendv8-avpkgx-eBZChM

Hi tony! As a postscript to my previous post late Wednesday I picked up my copy (again!) of "Rail Portfolios 3 - The Deltics"  and bingo - Page 3  -9019 at peterborough (taken from some 10ft or so above roof level) - clearly shows your point about the roof vent and the postion of the obscure nose-end panel. (Why hadn't I noticed this before?!). So one problem resolved. Regards malcolm

......"Wait a while I will speak to my supervisor and we will get back to you", cannot remember how many times I had that....

Standard line for call-centre slaves, unfortunately, if your query doesn't match the script they've been "trained" (sic) to use....

I'm referring to the curved guides front and back of the bogie. Form a channel which the power bogie fits into. If I understand your reference correctly, the lugs on the plastic bogie frame you mention should not be altered in any way.

Refer to the 55002 pic in the link, the oval port is at no2 end, nose side hatch clearly at the other no1 end. This corresponds with the GBL model. Does anyone have a Bachmann Deltic they can check this arrangement against?

Thanks for the clarification Tony. Sorry I didn't see the post earlier today before replying. Hopefully my discovery in the Murray Brown deltic book of 9019 will serve everyone accurately. (Wish i could afford the Bachmann version!)

For the head code panel try Craftsman, either direct or look on the Howes website under detailing parts.

Cheers

Shane

Thanks, I think I'll try the Craftsman headcode. I tried without success to find a pic of what it looks like on the net, couldn't see any pics on the Craftsman catalogue or Howes site.

The only Jinty drawing that I can recall being in any of the magazines was a 7mm O gauge drawing in Railway Modeller May 1980 - The Special Extra Issue. There was possibly also a 4mm one in the late 1960s although I think that may of been a Midland Railway version.

The only other 4mm one that I can think of is in LMSR Locomotives To Scale by Ian Beattie published by Bradford Barton. Quite often found for under £15 on Ebay or Amazon...

There is a Roche drawing M/L/17, and it was included in the compilation by Ian Allan titled 'Historic Locomotive Drawings in 4mm Scale'.

Now as ever the characteristic copy-detection errors are present, but in this case are easily spotted by a comparison to some photos. Cab side sheet and dome shapes, front spectacle plate windows a touch oversize.

You should have told your bank as well, then "the plebs at GBL" wouldn't have been able to get any more money out of your account.

I believe there is some sort of guarantee that if after a cancellation more is taken it will be re-imbursed.

Keith

Was slow at getting off the mark with that one I must admit. If I want to cancel a magazine subscription, I normally do that immediately before telling the magazine so that I know they can't take another penny.

I did get another unhelpful reply tonight from the same expletive deleted as the last time with the same previous lies as before.  I told the him to have a look at this forum to see how much rubbish they are sending out as the lying troll is claiming that only the odd one here and there has minor issues.  Yeah, right.

Whilst we, as modellers can be fussy, imagine what it would be like (and how much it would cost them) if we all sent everything back that had faults instead of what we are doing by, effectively, fixing them and buying loads more as well.  One would have thought that a little dignity and respect would have been in order instead of the pathetic lies and excuses these somethingholes are coming out with.  Still no reply as to the Evening Star as in my earlier pictures and still no reply as to the incorrect models received.

What is it with magazines that think they can provide deliberately poor customer service and treat the customer like dirt when we effectively pay their wages?  :banghead:

Back to modelling, my Deltic is still in bits with only the underframe and bogies done and the body in white primer, the intention was to do it blue when I do the 9F but had a thought of doing it in workshop condition during the painting for something different.

Anyone know what colour primer/undercoat BR used for their blue diesels?  What colour pictures I have in things like Modern Locomotives Illustrated seem to have different colours used, white and grey not being amongst them.

Just don't mention Porterbrook purple. 9016 looked rather silly in purple (I probably did as well in my goth days as well).

• Like 1

Back to modelling, my Deltic is still in bits with only the underframe and bogies done and the body in white primer, the intention was to do it blue when I do the 9F but had a thought of doing it in workshop condition during the painting for something different.

Anyone know what colour primer/undercoat BR used for their blue diesels?  What colour pictures I have in things like Modern Locomotives Illustrated seem to have different colours used, white and grey not being amongst them.

Just don't mention Porterbrook purple. 9016 looked rather silly in purple (I probably did as well in my goth days as well).

Hi john. Pink appeared to be the norm from the late 1950s - there many photos in Modern Locomotives illustrated issues that show this and I can remember seeing locos in Doncaster works in the late 1960/ early 70s in this. Members of class 56 built there had a mid-green undercoat I recall. HTH.

Hi john. Pink appeared to be the norm from the late 1950s - there many photos in Modern Locomotives illustrated issues that show this and I can remember seeing locos in Doncaster works in the late 1960/ early 70s in this. Members of class 56 built there had a mid-green undercoat I recall. HTH.

Thanks I thought it was pink then I saw the pic of the 56s in MLI (I think it was) and had the feeling the class 50s were green as well, too tired to go looking now.

Eight more sleeps before Dr Who comes back. Is the emperor dalek nervous? :jester:

I managed to pick up a copy of the Castle Class issue yesterday after some fuss - my usual Smiths had run out, so a quick phone call and a dash across Edinburgh got me into W H Smiths at Cameron Toll 3 minutes before closing, where the forewarned cashier had kept a copy behind the counter for me. A quick glance and the printing looked OK, so I paid my money and left them to shut up shop.

FIrst thoughts: Apart from a lack of gold paint-coverage on the safety valve cover, the printing on this model seems actually to be pretty good. There's no smudging, it's beautifully sharp and (to my untrained eye) the typeface on the main nameplate looks rather good (though the "Castle Class" section has a green background on one side and a black background on the other, as noted earlier).

Today I got the Dremel out and spent a thoroughly pleasant half hour gently carving away the cross-members inside the tender and carving back slightly the back edge of the mounting in the boiler (to allow the Airfix chassis weight to fit). A quick check that everything fitted (one or two small adjustments were needed to the tender chassis, mainly filing about half-a-mil off the front of the chassis box) and I was presented with this. It may not be perfect, but it's a huge improvement over the warped and slightly-melted bodyshell I had before. 

Tomorrow's job? Getting the Araldite and plasticard out, and a few small touch-ups of paint (mainly cab controls, and a spot of brass around the cabside windows and safety valves...

post-793-0-90862500-1408061624_thumb.jpg

Overall shot of loco + tender

post-793-0-98093300-1408061926_thumb.jpg

Proof that the Castle Class does sometimes come with good printing!

With thanks again to railroadbill for his earlier post which convinced me that this would be an easy project. Much easier than a kit build, and it will certainly be something different on the Edinburgh and Lothians club's Scottish-based layout on Tuesday!

• Like 5

Hi john! In response to your mention of articles on the Jinty I have been looking for scale drawings of one as I wanted to create a later "keyhole" version as one of the handful allocated to Royston shed - so I thought -ah - Model Rail Magazine would have covered in a Master-Class article over the years, after some four hours of searching online and through my printed indexes I drew a big fat blank. There is, however, an excellent photo feature on the preserved 47383 (no scale drawing though!) in the very first issue (Autumn '97). Other sources would be Ian Allan's  "On Midland Lines" and their "Locomotives Illustrated" magazine (don't know the exact issue number -sorry!). A byproduct of my research was that i compiled a complete "Master-Class" artcile list from 1997 to date. If anyone is interested please let me know and I will type it in all on Friday evening - thought it might come in handy now we're all chopping up and improving GBL models. Regards

There was a really good set of drawings in Model Railways Illustrated of October 1994 in an "Profile of" article.  These include plan views and some detail variations.  The May 1980 Modeller also had plans and there was a scaled GA in MRJ. I think this was December 1994 or the subsequent issue.

• Like 1

Could some kind soul please remind me when the T9 and Standard 4MT tank issues are likely to appear. I have many plans afoot...

Hi John! According to my calculations the Standard 4MT is wed 3 Sept (my birthday) and the T9 5th November (hmm...punchlinesw to follow no doubt depending on its quality!). Big question now is what is Part 16  (with the demise of Locomotion)?

To reiterate (again) by my reckoning, and I haven't been wrong yet,

September 17th Locomotion (or possibly King or possibly something else)

October 1st Peak (Some sort of diesel, I believe)

October 15th Butler Henderson

October 29th 45xx

November 12th T9 (I want at least 3)

November 26th Unknown - won't be the N Class, presumably as that would be 2 consecutive Southerns

November 5th is an intermediate week.

So

Other promises with no known date:

Inter City power car (will give that away free)

Western diesel hydraulic

LMS Princess (quite fancy that)

LNER J39

SR N Class

Edited by Smiffy2
  • Like 2

Further - the company distribution has been

LNER

LMS

LNER

GWR

SR

BR

BR

LMS

GWR

LNER

SR

LMS

GWR

LMS

BR

?

BR

LNER

GWR

SR

So the scores on the smokebox doors are :-

LNER - 4 (+1 to come)

LMS - 4 (+ 1 to come)

GWR - 4/5

SR - 3 (+1 to come)

BR - 4 (+1 to come)

So, in all fairness, we are owed a Lord Nelson at the very least.

Edited by Smiffy2

It's a shame they didn't do an apple green B1, to be frank. If based on the Hornby model they would have sold a bomb...

Do you mean the Robinson ex-GCR loco (B1/18) or the later LNER?

I must admit to not much liking early NER locos, but the GCR produced some handsome beasts, and the B1 was one of them. IMHO. The later B1 was nice, too, but not quite so regal in bearing.

I'm rambling now, so I'll shut up.

Hi john! In response to your mention of articles on the Jinty I have been looking for scale drawings of one as I wanted to create a later "keyhole" version as one of the handful allocated to Royston shed - so I thought -ah - Model Rail Magazine would have covered in a Master-Class article over the years, after some four hours of searching online and through my printed indexes I drew a big fat blank. There is, however, an excellent photo feature on the preserved 47383 (no scale drawing though!) in the very first issue (Autumn '97). Other sources would be Ian Allan's  "On Midland Lines" and their "Locomotives Illustrated" magazine (don't know the exact issue number -sorry!). A byproduct of my research was that i compiled a complete "Master-Class" artcile list from 1997 to date. If anyone is interested please let me know and I will type it in all on Friday evening - thought it might come in handy now we're all chopping up and improving GBL models. Regards

My own drawing list gives the following for LMS 3F 0-6-0Ts:

Model Railway Journal No. 9

Railway Modeller May 1980

BRM April 1997

Also a presumably illustrated article in Model Railway News (or whatever it was calling itself at the time) for Jan 1971.

The main visible difference was that the first fifty locos were built without 'keyholes' and were originally fitted with Ramsbottom safety valves. The 'keyhole' was to access the sandbox filler btw, not what the mag says about accessing the inside motion. Some locos (e.g. the original Somerset and Dorset batch) were fitted with screw reversers rather than levers but these later migrated to places where it was more use e.g. the ECML workings between Broad Street and Potters Bar.

When the Hymeks were on acceptance tests from Beyer Peacock Gorton to Derby, many of them appeared in pink primer.

To Simon:

True. I assumed that was what you meant. But there are so many beautiful locos out there (the B18 being one of them) - I wish they had a business model that allowed for some of them to be made, but as we have seen a relatively simple project like Locomotion (a tube with four wheels and some twiddly bits) was beyond them.

I mean, a 45xx. Really? And is anyone going to coo with delight over an Inter-City 125 on their shelf?

I did wonder if the September 17th issue might be 'Rocket' - but I've no huge hopes of that actually appearing now.

Edited by Smiffy2

• RMweb Premium

When the Hymeks were on acceptance tests from Beyer Peacock Gorton to Derby, many of them appeared in pink primer.

...and the Brush Type 4s (Class 47), and the Peaks.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks I thought it was pink then I saw the pic of the 56s in MLI (I think it was) and had the feeling the class 50s were green as well, too tired to go looking now.

Eight more sleeps before Dr Who comes back. Is the emperor dalek nervous? :jester:

Not been that enraptured with 2005 onwards versions tbh. Only the Daleks & cybermen interest me now. Some of the Dr who figurines are quite good - presumably not produced by the same company that produces GBL Models!! Why are Dapol wagons such a pig to repair couplings on!! Any thoughts on what part 16 will be, surely Amercom won't move everything from no.17 forward one place??

There was a really good set of drawings in Model Railways Illustrated of October 1994 in an "Profile of" article.  These include plan views and some detail variations.  The May 1980 Modeller also had plans and there was a scaled GA in MRJ. I think this was December 1994 or the subsequent issue.

Hi tren! Thanks for your comprehensive reply - I clicked the like icon instead of thanks earlier. Don't think I'll be buying an old RM on-line - the prices charged are usually exhorbitant and then there's postage. Will look in bargain bins at stalls at events.