Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Tender heights.

As tenders contained about 4 tons of coal and a few thousand gallons of water (another few tons at least) surely they must have ridden low at the start of a long run and high at the end, with possibly a bit of up and down around water troughs?

Looking at photos seems to confirm that.

Can anyone with direct experience comment on what degree of squat a fully loaded tender would take on, and whether or not the tender and locomotive footplates are at an equal height above the rail when the tender is empty or full.

I don't know about tenders, but I would imagine it was similar to wagons - 2½" for load and 2½" for tyre wear. Normal buffer height is 3' 5½" above rail head, though it is sometimes lower..

While I understand your reluctance your reviews are invaluable and much anticipated. My small review is based on the one model I have so far, I know you buy multiple copies of the model so it would be useful to know for example if I'm unlucky in having a badly printed nameplate or are they all like this. 

You can tell my knowledge of steam locos is limited by my description of a "reversing thing" and my basic review is based purely on a comparison with the Hornby model, I have no idea if the Hornby model has any errors in it. I would also be interested to read your comments on the cab roof. Is it easily fixed? Can this model be used to make any other type of loco etc.

Your reviews are excellent thorough and fair. I definitely would like to read it.

• Like 1

Painting the wheels makes a huge difference to the look of these models, adding coal to the tender is a big improvement. 

Also here is a close up of the terrible nameplate and a comparison of the GBL roof and the Hornby roof

post-5114-0-14868400-1407244923_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-73974700-1407245086_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-98796800-1407245157_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-18224800-1407245243_thumb.jpg

Edited by darrel
  • Like 2

There were still two Jinties at the Asda in Astley Bridge in Bolton when I popped in there earlier today.. No sign of the Castle yet though. What's the next loco planned after the Castle? I'm particularly interested in the model of Locomotion if it's still in the list of planned releases.

There were still two Jinties at the Asda in Astley Bridge in Bolton when I popped in there earlier today.. No sign of the Castle yet though. What's the next loco planned after the Castle? I'm particularly interested in the model of Locomotion if it's still in the list of planned releases.

The Midland compound follows the Castle. It looks fairly promising.

Regards,

Stefan

• RMweb Premium

I'm particularly interested in the model of Locomotion if it's still in the list of planned releases.

I'm afraid 'The Weatheringman's' Post #1604 on page 65 of this topic doesn't make encouraging reading regarding 'Locomotion' Jenny and he seems to be 'well in the know' about this series, to the benefit of most of us who are following the thread.

Its a disappointment that it doesn't look like a model of Locomotion will be produced, as this model was one I'd really looked forward to when the initial adverts ran.

Regards,

John

My list of things to do is so long, that it would fill several pages....... :O  (Waffle alert!)

Apart from the GBL locos, which need motorising and repainting (Yes I mean the Deltic!)

Then there are the Kitmaster coaches - Do I worry they're 2mm too short or try to ignore it (difficult as it's between the end door and the end!) and sorting out the composite's windows is a real pain.

Airfix 16T minerals to complete.

Various Tri-ang locos need the ride height lowering.

Other kits to finish....... (lots)

And a new layout to build.....

&c. &c. &c. :senile: :scratchhead:

Edited by Il Grifone

Just popped out to Smiths and they had 2, which I think is pretty normal. I bought them both, they are both quite reasonable, with the usual assembly problems which shouldn't be too difficult to fix. So if anyone wants one, I've got one in my swapsy box.

Hi,

Locomotion has been dropped from the plans - this is due to no suitable model to copy and likely production problems.

Next up is the Midland 'Compound' and then the BR 'Standard' 4MT 2-6-4T.

Just to build up the excitement - these are both well worth looking forward too !.

Regards

Thank goodness these two sound promising. I'm ready to rework some of them into two Neverwazzas-a MR 4-6-0 (as mentioned) and a 5MT tank 4-6-4T

Edited by 69843
  • Like 1

Hi,

Just to add to what I put in my first post.

I'm now aware that many shops have recieved much smaller deliveries than normal. If two was a normal order for a branch then they have probably got their normal order but many other shops have recieved much fewer or so far none at all.

My warning about perhaps acting quickly if you want one or more still holds good from what i've learnt this morning.

Regards

I have just been out to Smith's in Winchester (where I have bought all mine until now), to find none at all. On questioning the staff it turns out they have decided to stop stocking them . I am not sure where the next nearest stockist might be, so I guess I will have to consider the pot luck of subscription. Bad day!

• RMweb Premium

I have just been out to Smith's in Winchester (where I have bought all mine until now), to find none at all. On questioning the staff it turns out they have decided to stop stocking them . I am not sure where the next nearest stockist might be, so I guess I will have to consider the pot luck of subscription. Bad day!

I wonder if its now too late for you to place a regular order with a newsagent? Its the option I'm glad I decided on at the outset, you don't get any of the subscription 'Bonuses' and you need to be prepared to buy one of each model as they appear, regardless of whether you'd have chosen to buy it individually or not. You can however cancel the order by giving the newsagent two weeks notice and you shouldn't have any hassle with the supplier/publisher as any 'issues' should be dealt with by the newsagent. This arrangement has worked well for me so far, there's only been one delayed arrival and the newsagent sorted that very quickly. (Next day)

Regards,

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Locomotion has been dropped from the plans - this is due to no suitable model to copy and likely production problems.

Next up is the Midland 'Compound' and then the BR 'Standard' 4MT 2-6-4T.

Just to build up the excitement - these are both well worth looking forward too !.

Regards

Hi 'The Weatheringman' and thanks for this most definitive statement about Locomotion. It does leave me curious as to the original thinking when 'Locomotiion' was first announced as part of the series. My only speculative notion is that they (someone) had seen the Bachmann static pewter 7mm model and not realised the actual scale it was manufactured to.

I am particularly looking forward to the Compound though and your post now gives me high hopes for the Std 4 Tank.

Regards,

John

When I wanted multiple copies of just two specific issues of the magazine/model, all I did was to phone up GBL and put in an order for those. They duly arrived, albeit after more like six weeks than the 28 day maximum that was quoted when I placed the order. Unless things have changed, I'm not sure why various people are now agonising over the question of how to get the models they want if they are no longer stocked by local newsagents.

• RMweb Premium

The size of the Bachmann pewter model shouldn't matter, they could easily resize the image of a scan. More likely they were put off buy all the fiddly detail parts that would be needed to make a decent model of it. It would also be quite small, maybe less appealing to the general market.

Edited by Nile

When I wanted multiple copies of just two specific issues of the magazine/model, all I did was to phone up GBL and put in an order for those. They duly arrived, albeit after more like six weeks than the 28 day maximum that was quoted when I placed the order. Unless things have changed, I'm not sure why various people are now agonising over the question of how to get the models they want if they are no longer stocked by local newsagents.

That was at the cover price plus postage? Rather than the €20 price sometimes quoted.

Mainly because I have spent a fair bit of time every fortnight 'agonising' over the incredibly variable quality control of the examples in Winchester WHS after reading TheWeatheringMan's extremely informative reviews before making my choice. I am not an experienced modeller and undoubtedly do not have your skills in reconstructing a badly finished example.  A single mail order example is thus a complete lottery.

Gareth

Smiffs in Union St Brum had 5 Castles this morning.

Don't know what happened to the Jinties as I never saw any in there!

Maybe a Vulture swooped and had the lot!

Keith

It wasn't me Guv'! :jester: