Great British Locomotives

EddieB

John as you know from our correspondence,

I have worked on some of these models,for the record Streamlined coronation...renumbered 6240 the last red streamliner before wartime black..straightforward onto Hornby chassis, High footplate caprotti black 5 as featured.  Castle class work in progress homemade chassis and supplementary bits like steam pipes and double chimney. LMS class 3 belpaire from the compound again shown.Stephenson motion black 5 work in progess....further update soon.  I have waiting in the wings the jinty...std class 4 tank, the latest 260.....t9 and b12 chassis to be made into 440 ben alder...GW King....and at least 4 princesses at least two of which will be motorised and made up with Mike edges chassis as 46200 and 46205.....mallard and caley 123 will just adorn my shelves....the peak....hmm cant make my mind up whether to do work involved...want to modify to d9 or d10 with the unique grilles...hence my request to craftsman who list these items...aware they require new cab noses as well. I mght just use two Bachmann versions ( which i have...i cant have too many peaks) if i can source those grilles. I post this as a record of what this series can or potentially produce and to scare the bejasus out of me the amount of work i have yet to acheive. I will still be buying more especially if some of those mentioned see the light of day.Ironically give my modelling preferences like smiffy the one i want most is the Lord Nelson...always loved that loco design but was put off by the split chassis...

Sorry for the length of this might just have found a cure for insomnia

• Like 4

Forthcoming GBL releases #27 to #40 saved from a previous post now deleted

(with acknowledgement to original poster)

RTR loco's that might be used as a source for tooling are just a guess.

GBL 27 due out next week.

27 Stephenson's Rocket + 4w carriage [Tri-ang]
28 Royal Scot [Mainline]
29 Holden B12 class [Tri-ang]
30 Collett 57xx Pannier tank [Mainline]
31 Maunsell 'N' class [Bachmann]
32 Britannia and the 7MTs [Hornby]
33 Stanier '8F' [Hornby]
34 Western diesel hydraulic [LIMA]
35 Gresley J39 class [Bachmann]
36 Hawksworth 'Counties' [Dapol/ Hornby]
37 Lord Nelson 4-6-0s [Bachmann]
38 Ivatt '2MTs' (model is 2-6-2T) Bachmann]
39 Peppercorn 'A1/A2s' (Blue Peter?) Apple green
40 Brush Type 4 [Tri-ang]

Agree with Rowanj that this is a unique series in that loco bodies/tenders/parts for most of these subjects just haven't been available for spares/modifying etc.  Once the older Margate Hornby bodies used to be sold by East Kent models etc. but not usually the later China made stuff. So this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to fill up the spares box.

1. GBL look ok on the shelf or static in a siding.

2. Perfect for improving or modifying as static display models.

3. Good for motorising either with quality comet type chassis or using older spec spare mechanisms, either as the GBL model or converting into another type of loco.

4. Source of spare parts esp. tenders. 

5. Encourages research into prototypes, finding conversion subjects, looking back at the ranges the GBL models have come from, etc.

And all for £8.99 a pop, so definitely hope the series does continue for a while.

I have to say that I thought it a shame, coming back to the computer after the weekend, to find that The WeatheringMan had moved off the thread (which had become totally surreal) since I feel he was the lynchpin behind it.   imho.

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

Tri-ang never did a Brush type 4. I assume that would be the 1974 Hornby model.

Could it not be based on the Lima, Vitrains, Heljan or Bachmann models? 

If it's either of the latter, I'll certainly be picking up as many as I can to form the basis of a low-cost Duff fleet.

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by spet0114

i have gained so much from this series...and not just a source of modelling aids..it has introduced me to other threads...a number of like minded modellers, now my friends....and let's be honest the sheer pleasure when we open that package of holding a model regardless of its quality control issues is still streets ahead of what most of us could build from scratch...or purchase RTR not too many years ago...as stated before let's enjoy them whilst they are here...kit master ....being an example....when gone..

Guest spet0114

Hi Folks,

For the past few issues of GBL (T9 onwards), the superstore near where I work has proven a pretty reliable source of at least two copies of each model.

The upcoming Rocket model holds no interest for me, but I'm willing to take "orders" on either of the following bases:

1. A straight swap for either a Butler Henderson or a City of Truro (preferably with the associated magazine)

or

2. to post on at cost (+ postage), maybe with a contribution (about 50p) to cover packing materials (assuming I can't scrounge some cardboard etc from work!).

Obviously I can't guarantee I'll be able to get two rockets, though I'll certainly do my best.

Any takers? - drop me a PM.

Cheers
Adrian

• Like 1

Hello everyone, here's what my C class or should I say PG ;) class looks like now. I've removed all the boiler fittings and front cylinder cover, and added 4 more sandboxes on either side of the middle splasher. A lot of fine sandpaper and filler removes the mould line on the smoke box and I've filed the cab to the correct profile. Still a lot more to do, but I'm getting there slowly.

post-19436-0-27088400-1423688304_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-46368600-1423688311_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Nelson

• Like 11

Nice. Could you expand on changing the cab profile, please?

Hi Smiffy thanks for the comment, basically I used a Stanley knife to cut off the ridge then using a broad flat file, I just filed the corners until they were the profile I wanted which is a gentle curve. I'll get some proper pics tomorrow for you.

DIY 3D print start up and running costs are soon recovered when you consider all manner of items that can be made, especially replacement parts for appliances etc. that would otherwise require purchase of a new appliance/machine. But the process does require a degree of engineering skill that may be beyond some people, though not the capable modellers here perhaps.

I disagree, well for a start you need to shell out at least over £1300, just for a 3D printer, the resin just a small bottle say about £50 to £75.

Great for just a static model part, but any part under stress will need better resin.

At the moment, if you can provide your CAD drawing software to one of the 3D Printer Owners/Companies, you might get a decent not to expensive solution.

Buy your own?

Beware, just plain 2D printer ink is now dearer then gold, as most Printer manufacturers build in, Use their OWN ink only, in the printer and software.

AS THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY FROM THE INK, often giving away the printer, ITS THE AFTERSALES.that produces the profit, this is not going to change!

So please members do take care.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought about the coach with the up coming 'Rocket' model. This is obviously based on the old Triang model which in turn is based on a replica built by the LMS for the L&M centenary celebrations. The question is how do we know if the full size replica itself is accurate? Illustrations show both goods and passenger stock with very short wheelbases of about 6 feet. When building the replica did the LMS just use a convenient wagon underframe or were there drawings in existence?

The underframe of the 1930 replicas aren't anything like a wagon underframe, though they are very like those under this Stockton & Darlington coach from the 1840s. The wheelbase is similar too, despite several of the contemporary drawings (e.g.) suggesting this may have been shorter. Interestingly the 1935 German replica coaches behind 'Der Adler' did have a shorter wheelbase.

Guest spet0114

I recall an interview with the chap who built a replica of Trevithick's London Steam Carriage of 1802.

He said that when they calculated the dimensions of the body, (which was basically that of a stagecoach), they found they matched almost exactly with the dimensions of a 'standard' stagecoach design from the catalogue of one of the leading stagecoach builders of the day.

If stagecoach body dimensions were reasonably standardised by 1802, is it not implausible that the dimensions of the early railway carriages, which resembled multiple stagecoach bodies laid end-to-end, would have been reasonably consistent as a result?

Just a thought.

Cheers
Adrian

Edited by spet0114

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking of building a 'third class' coach using a pair of the Rocket tenders by placing the bodies on a single chassis with the open ends facing each other with a gap to form a door. I was considering whether or not to stretch the wheelbase of the tender chassis or keep the original chassis and extend the ends. There are illustrations of such coaches that are little more than an open wagon with a doorway, sometimes without a door, cut into the side. I will probably use the Dapol kit as it might be easier than modifying a ready made.

Done a little work on my 4mt, renumbered it as 76103 it was allocated to parkhead, st rollox, parkhead, st rollox,grangemouth, dawslholm, grangemouth, Dumfries, polmadie, beatock, Ayr then finally scrapped at Arnott young at troon. Got about a bit.

I managed to get two tenders from eBay for £10.they were built from the old airfix kit and had been detailed. Neither had the lion and wheel crest so I had to add that. I then weathered both the loco and tender. Quite pleased with the result.

post-5114-0-76581000-1423743254_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-11674800-1423743284_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

I disagree, well for a start you need to shell out at least over £1300, just for a 3D printer, the resin just a small bottle say about £50 to £75.

Great for just a static model part, but any part under stress will need better resin.

At the moment, if you can provide your CAD drawing software to one of the 3D Printer Owners/Companies, you might get a decent not to expensive solution.

Buy your own?

Beware, just plain 2D printer ink is now dearer then gold, as most Printer manufacturers build in, Use their OWN ink only, in the printer and software.

AS THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY FROM THE INK, often giving away the printer, ITS THE AFTERSALES.that produces the profit, this is not going to change!

So please members do take care.

Paul

Here's mine: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/3d-printers/8111855/

• RMweb Premium

As promised, nearly forgot about this.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's a GNRI locomotive so you GNR people will be familiar with the cab shape etc...

Btw sorry if I'm "hogging" this thread in any way, if it's bothering anyone, tell me an I'll just upload the finished engine once it's done.

Of course you are not hogging the thread.   I have an interest in NCC steam as well, but the later UTA period when they were mostly running 4-4-0's, 2-6-0's and the WT Geeps, so when you said you were converting the 'C' class to an NCC engine I was intrigued and tried to work out which one. I have to admit I had never heard of a 'PG' class - there doesn't seem to be much online about them and I can't find anything in my limited library of Irish books.  The only photo I have found is this one from the Mike Morant Collection http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/Irish-railways/Irish-railways-1953/i-KxBNrF4/A

I think it is wonderful that people can look at a GBL models and see a different prototype in them, so please carry on posting your pictures, I am really looking forward to the finished item.

Thanks

Moxy

• Like 1

when you said you were converting the 'C' class to an NCC engine I was intrigued and tried to work out which one.

Moxy

Hi Moxy, yes I should have said earlier, the original intention was to be a NCC K1 class, but then later I found that a GNRI PG class is far closer and easier to do so I decided to do that one instead, I have another C class to convert so I may as well do a K1 class with that one, there's a number of pics showing the PG class in the book "rails around Belfast" and here's 2 I found online (also one of the K1), btw thanks for that link, never seen that pic before, it'll come in very handy.

GNRI PG Class: http://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/GREAT-NORTHERN-RAILWAY-IRELAND/17846660_NWbrJP#!i=1948638162&k=fPWdxpF (the one I'm doing now)

NCC K1 Class: http://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/NORTHERN-COUNTIES-COMMITTEE/18280628_Ms6Xqs#!i=1510562101&k=t9sksnT (probably my next conversion)

Nelson

• Like 5

Just a thought about the coach with the up coming 'Rocket' model. This is obviously based on the old Triang model which in turn is based on a replica built by the LMS for the L&M centenary celebrations. The question is how do we know if the full size replica itself is accurate? Illustrations show both goods and passenger stock with very short wheelbases of about 6 feet. When building the replica did the LMS just use a convenient wagon underframe or were there drawings in existence?

Further thought on this. It's likely that there are records of the minutes of meetings leading up to the event that would cover the discussions about building these replicas (built at Derby), possibly mentioning the sources of information and practical amendments (e.g. the wheelbase) prior to building.

I hope that I have got this right as I have only just become a member and have been interested in some of the items said about Great British Locomotives.

I have not read everything so excuse me if this has been answered.

I wondered  if there was anyone who was upgrading a particular model who no longer required the black plastic molded railway track plyth that is attached to these models as one of mine got cracked in the post and I cannot find an email address for the publishers and I think that some of the prices for past copies on ebay are astronomical.

I hope that I have got this right as I have only just become a member and have been interested in some of the items said about Great British Locomotives.

I have not read everything so excuse me if this has been answered.

I wondered  if there was anyone who was upgrading a particular model who no longer required the black plastic molded railway track plyth that is attached to these models as one of mine got cracked in the post and I cannot find an email address for the publishers and I think that some of the prices for past copies on ebay are astronomical.

Any model in particular? Or any base at all?