Great British Locomotives

EddieB

re klear again, just been reading George Dent's web site that John linked to. 

1. I think he's saying  that the current pledge wax fomulation is a further change from the product which replaced the original acrylic varnish klear,

quote: "the re-formulated versions have not been so user-friendly or as crystal clear. But, the latest incarnation, 'Pledge Multi Surface Wax with Klear', is very nearly as good as the original". 

2. But at the bottom of George's page is a posting from someone with a very negative experience of the new stuff, so guess the answer would  be to do a test piece first - and leave it for some time.

Hopefully my half bottle will keep me going for some time, it does go a long way!

Bill thanks for your and the others replies....i like the look of the humbrol clear..it appears to have the same qualities as the johnson product....my bottle of this product was knocked over....no use being clumsy if you dont show it!

• Like 1

Bill thanks for your and the others replies....i like the look of the humbrol clear..it appears to have the same qualities as the johnson product....my bottle of this product was knocked over....no use being clumsy if you dont show it!

Still shaking after hearing of your disaster! 

post-4032-0-25639300-1423228517.jpg

Liquid gold!

• Like 3

Hi,

The list published above does not represent any quaranteed schedual and nobody at the publisher that can be spoken to is in a position to give out a deffinate list.

The decision as to what, if any locomotive is produced is in other hands responsible for the copying and production process and ONLY after certain matters are looked into some weeks ahead does advice go back to the section of the publisher responsible for making a final decision - and this is not two minions who can be contacted by the public.

The locomotives mentioned above, many of which I have already 'hinted' at are simply culled from a much larger list of 'possibles' going through consideration and subject to the above process.

Some of the mentioned locos have been passsed for inclusion in GBL and have been mentioned before.

My information has always come from a very reliable source at the 'development dept' and it for this reason that I have, on occasion, had to only 'hint' at something because i've been asked not to confirm the model ahead of its appearance on the GBL website.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a model of all the mentioned locos obviously exists already in RTR form that can be copied.

It is possible to photograph said RTR model and then 'doctor' the image to look like the actual GBL item.

Having done that there is nothing to prevent a mock-up front cover being produced.

From that it would be easy to put these onto the GBL website with publication dates so that advance notice was given.

Such would, hopefully, lead to increased sales due to advanced publicity.

The reason the above has not been done is that to do so risks trouble if problems with copying any model are revealed later.

Also bear in mind that no new list of intended models has been published in the way that the first list was.

I'm hoping it will be possible to publish a list of, say, the next five or so models, that are reasonably likely once production is approved.

At this stage, as i've said before, there are a number of factors that may effect the GBL range and whether it continues.

If it does there is every likelyhood that several surprises remain - and these are not on the above list and are not known by anyone able to speak to the public at this stage - if they value their jobs that is.

This thread will be ruined very quickly if it is infested by idle speculation and wish listing.

Lets hope this isnt going to happen.

Regards

A little strong, perhaps?

King Pin published in good faith the information that was provided to him by the publisher - surely there is no need to get all 'proprietorial' about it?

You have posted much useful information in this thread, and it is appreciated, but that does not preclude others from posting information that they have gained by contact with the publisher. Whether the information provided is accurate, and whether it should have been given out, is an internal matter for the publisher.

I would not describe King Pin's posting as being "infested by idle speculation and wish listing".

You have not revealed your source, but we take your information at face value; I would expect that we will do the same with King Pin's information; he has at least declared his source.

This thread will be ruined if it descends into a "my source is better than your source" slanging match !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The two sources aren't slagging each other off! They compliment each other quite well. WM has the closer up-to-date gen (and apparently a chance to look at the models) and KP has found the overview. By being a bit quicker on the uptake than the rest of us...

I read WM's comments as asking us not to start the sort of wishlist froth that has wrecked other threads.

I for one won't be doing that. Especially now a Lord Nelson has been sort-of confirmed  :angel:

• Like 2

Didn't mean to hit a nerve

I don't think you have anything to apologise for. The list was helpful,and the locos are all ones which meet the criteria of earlier release, so there is every reason to believe that they would be on Amercoms radar. However we know from past experience that these things may be subject to change from fortnight to fortnight. Waiting for the announcement has been part of the fun.

But I do wish some posters would think before they push the send button, and reconsider the tone of some of their posts. I know of 3 excellent modellers who have deserted this thread.whose input would have been helpful to those of us converting or motorising the donors because of the tenor of some of the comments here.

And finally,I find the term "minion" demeaning and insulting to folk just trying to get on with their job

Edited by rowanj

If anyone is after a 'C' for £8.99 plus postage, then please PM me. I've extracted it from the box and given it a look over, but don't think it's suitable for what I had in mind - conversion to something Irish - but if it can find a good home, that'd be good!

Regards

Richard.

Asda in both Tilbury and Greenhithe had one each today in the middle of a sea of 'Romulan Drones'. The latter is quite attractive, but the purchase of one would result in more dust collection and use up space (no pun intended) and money better spent on trains.

EDIT

Has anyone any idea why spurious random numbers have started to appear in my posts?

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 3

Guest spet0114

I'm wondering if the Maunsell N model, if it comes, will be snapped up by all the folks who have suffered from the Mazak decay which seemed to affect the Bachmann original. From memory, it was mainly the running plate that went, so presumably there must be quite a few bodyless mechanisms out there....

Cheers
Adrian

I'm wondering if the Maunsell N model, if it comes, will be snapped up by all the folks who have suffered from the Mazak decay which seemed to affect the Bachmann original. From memory, it was mainly the running plate that went, so presumably there must be quite a few bodyless mechanisms out there....

Cheers

Adrian

That's certainly an option, but Bachmann still had replacement foot/running plates available during the latter half of last year (when I obtained one, free except for p&p). The problem only hit the early Ns. Later ones are fine. The replacement is a straight swap. You unscrew the body, transfer the various components to the new running plate, and reassemble. 

If anyone is after a 'C' for £8.99 plus postage, then please PM me. I've extracted it from the box and given it a look over, but don't think it's suitable for what I had in mind - conversion to something Irish - but if it can find a good home, that'd be good!

Regards

Richard.

Would it not be possible to produce something akin to a round-topped, saturated 101/J15? Or is that a bodge too far?

At least an N should be of use to you.

Edited by Nedrahn

Regards

Richard.

Already gone, that was quick!

Regards

Richard,

Hello folks,

I Came back from school and saw a C class waiting for me, so I wasted no time and got stuck in, this is how it is so far, I had a spare Bachmann jinty chassis and decided to use it for motorising the engine and it seems to fit very well apart from the rear of the chassis block needs sawed off. But apart from that it's got the correct wheel spacing and it's a good runner so I'm happy with that. I cut the frames and the cab to suit no problem, it fits superb but the real problem came when altering the boiler, as you can see from the pics I've had to cut/remove the lower part of the boiler to fit over the motor but it's still a tight fit and I don't know how that's going to affect in the long run, I've used a dremel tool and filed the insides of the boiler and firebox until i couldn't go any further for there wouldn't be a boiler left lol, so I'm unsure wether to leave it as it is or get a bigger replacement boiler from some plastic tubing, this is to become a NCC engine so it'll all be altered later on but there is still an unsightly motor in view, I may cover this with thin platicard or as ive said get a new boiler, apart from the firebox/boiler issue I think it works rather well and the buffer height seems to be good.

post-19436-0-62932200-1423263683_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-98070800-1423263691_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-78542600-1423263698_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-43225100-1423263705_thumb.jpg

My thanks go to the 2 RMweb members (you know who you are) who helped me in souring the C class, I appreciate it very much.

Hope someone finds this useful haha

Nelson

• Like 9

Having found this thread recently and being overseas not having seen any of these, can anybody tell me if it is possible to get "back numbers" of the magazine or just the models?

I want the Midland compound, no. 14 I think.

What is the contact address/e-mail of the magazine?

Edward

I'll be looking to use the N for  conversion to U, U1 maybe N1 but with etched/scratched chassis

Will look forward to seeing that - will be a quite a tricky one, despite the close family relationship between an N and a U there are differences that make this quite a difficult conversion: the running plate differences are obvious, but the boiler is also pitched higher in a U, changing the cab front window layout amongst other things.  The GBL loco should provide some useful parts, but I would suggest these are more likely to be of the nature of an aid to scratchbuilding than anything else.  Certainly it is doable but a lot of work. 

Edited by Brake Compo

• RMweb Premium

Nelson, a fix might be by turn thing the motor on its mount. I've not handled that chassis, but is it possible to dremel away the bottom mount so that the motor sits with the flats on the outside and the rounded bits top and bottom?

Andy g

• Like 1

Hello folks,

I Came back from school and saw a C class waiting for me, so I wasted no time and got stuck in, this is how it is so far, I had a spare Bachmann jinty chassis and decided to use it for motorising the engine and it seems to fit very well apart from the rear of the chassis block needs sawed off. But apart from that it's got the correct wheel spacing and it's a good runner so I'm happy with that. I cut the frames and the cab to suit no problem, it fits superb but the real problem came when altering the boiler, as you can see from the pics I've had to cut/remove the lower part of the boiler to fit over the motor but it's still a tight fit and I don't know how that's going to affect in the long run, I've used a dremel tool and filed the insides of the boiler and firebox until i couldn't go any further for there wouldn't be a boiler left lol, so I'm unsure wether to leave it as it is or get a bigger replacement boiler from some plastic tubing, this is to become a NCC engine so it'll all be altered later on but there is still an unsightly motor in view, I may cover this with thin platicard or as ive said get a new boiler, apart from the firebox/boiler issue I think it works rather well and the buffer height seems to be good.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

My thanks go to the 2 RMweb members (you know who you are) who helped me in souring the C class, I appreciate it very much.

Hope someone finds this useful haha

Nelson

Hello Nelson.you hit exactly the same problem that I have when I used the Bachmann chassis (pannier tank this time) for my Caledonian jumbo conversion from the GBL single in that the motor on both was designed to be hidden by tanks in both cases and not a slim line 0-6-0 boiler (See posts 4022 and 4071) I had to use a new piece of tube for the boiler anyway but have scrapped that as it was much to thick and will now roll one out of maybe 10 thou plasticard to get it as thin as possible so it hides most of the motor and wiring but its still going to be a bit of a compromise. Stick with it though as like you said its spot on size wise and is a lovely running chassis. Steve.

PS as I model the Caledonian I didn't go for the C class this time as felt that even though it's an 0-6-0 from the same period and is close in design there's to many subtle differences so I picked up a couple of cheap Triang/Hornby single body's off ebay (Only £6.19p for the two) instead as the parts like the cabs, smoke box, chimney and domes plus other smaller fittings are correct so were more useful for a source of parts for future builds

• Like 2

Nelson, a fix might be by turn thing the motor on its mount. I've not handled that chassis, but is it possible to dremel away the bottom mount so that the motor sits with the flats on the outside and the rounded bits top and bottom?

Andy g

Hi Andy I thought of that but it would make it very hard to get the motor to mesh in fact it would be easier to make a new chassis as the Bachmann chassis doesn't lend its self well to being chopped around like that, if you recall we discussed this in a pm a while back. Steve