RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Asda had two this morning (now only one - I got the one with the chimney and safety valve fitted straight, but she has a slightly crooked cab). The model looks OK to me (I'm no LNER expert!) apart from the wonky orange lining. It should be red, but these were plain black I believe. (Some black paint will soon sort that out.) There is also a BR numberplate and a shed plate on the smoke box door, despite the LNER livery. Mine will probably end up in BR black anyway. The frames stop immediately in front of the guard irons leaving an unsightly gap to fill. There's a less obvious gap behind the cab steps, plus the standard overlarge space between engine and tender.

Mine seems to have everything except the cab and one set of footplate steps nice and straight (even the numbers).  On closer inspection, it's the skewiff cab lining that makes it look more skyward-facing.  I hadn't even noticed the gap at the front of the frame but now you've pointed it out it's shouting "you could park a bus in me" every time I look at it!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

What a strange looking beast...

I don't think the colour of the lining helps, nor the skyward pointing buffer on the tender (one on the front bufferbeam tends earthwards to compensate !), the 'forced into incorrect attitude' Loco to tender draw bar or the yawning gap behind the loco bufferbeam. The BR smokebox number plate jars more because of the absence of the LNER style numbering from the bufferbeam. Has the copied from example been a bit of a mongrel I wonder?

Other than that (and the broken coupling rod) I don't think its too bad a representation of the class allowing for all the usual GBL limitations.

I've started to hack mine up already on the way to a J38, the running plate now needs filling in a few places other than just the splasher holes and new frame tops need cutting but it's getting there

post-18430-0-63762200-1433947955_thumb.jpg

post-18430-0-92171400-1433947970.jpg

Thumb one, knife nill

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 1

This is one model that I have got hold of. Just got it home now! ;)

The 0-6-0 motorisation will probably be the Hornby Chassis...

Some "As Got" Photos to add to the ones above....

post-12119-0-05982200-1433948050_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-85520200-1433948083_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-26000500-1433948094_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-02455400-1433948106_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-15578200-1433948119_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-26553900-1433948133_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-04804000-1433948144_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-00090700-1433948153_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-24928000-1433948158_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 4

From the pics, this looks to be one of the more straightforward projects which will be waiting when I get home.One omission I noticed on the tender is the very conspicuous vacuum cylinder which I think was present on all the 4200 tenders hauled by J39 and probably J38 also. I too would like to use a Jinty chassis but suspect the position of the splashers will make it look odd. Bachmann split chassis are reasonably easily obtainable and I imagine will be even more so when the replacement comes out.

The J38 is basically the same loco, but with smaller wheels, so no splashers....all were allocated to Scotland.....

The splashers may be moveable. (Ducks as the Rivet counters throw all sorts of measuring tools in my direction while screaming! ;)  )

Vacuum Cylinders would be easyish to get hold of....in fact I have a few....meant to be fitted to Hornby LNER B17 "Footballer" tenders.

• Like 2

...There is a bizarre moulded line along the water scoop pick up some on the rear of the tender exactly where the divider should be on the other GS tender they have modelled, common badly edited CAD files/tooling? Mistake? Really present on the real tenders?...

The scar that runs from one side to the other, over the centreline of the pick up scoop dome? That was a real feature on those GS tenders modified by repositioning of the backplate of the bunker. Cut away with a gas axe, and not refinished in any way. But this is I believe a post war mod, first carried out on B1 tenders. Not entirely certain how many - or if any - J39s had tenders altered like this. The earlier GS tender with stepped out coal raves would likely have been the more desireable model, it's what all the J38s and many J39s got when first into service.

From the pics, this looks to be one of the more straightforward projects which will be waiting when I get home.One omission I noticed on the tender is the very conspicuous vacuum cylinder which I think was present on all the 4200 tenders hauled by J39 and probably J38 also. I too would like to use a Jinty chassis but suspect the position of the splashers will make it look odd. Bachmann split chassis are reasonably easily obtainable and I imagine will be even more so when the replacement comes out.

Considering the variety of locos the Triang "Jinty" chassis has appeared under (especially the Gronk), the "misalignment" of wheels and splashers with the J39 is a minor inconvenience.  I'd also hazard a guess that a complete modern Hornby jinty based model as a donor would work out cheaper than a discarded Bachmann split-chassis.

All I've got to do now is select the victim for the butchers knife/saw/drill.....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

The scar that runs from one side to the other, over the centreline of the pick up scoop dome? That was a real feature on those GS tenders modified by repositioning of the backplate of the bunker. Cut away with a gas axe, and not refinished in any way. But this is I believe a post war mod, first carried out on B1 tenders. Not entirely certain how many - or if any - J39s had tenders altered like this. The earlier GS tender with stepped out coal raves would likely have been the more desireable model, it's what all the J38s and many J39s got when first into service.

I'm glad I didn't carve it off then

Asda had two this morning (now only one - I got the one with the chimney and safety valve fitted straight, but she has a slightly crooked cab). The model looks OK to me (I'm no LNER expert!) apart from the wonky orange lining. It should be red, but these were plain black I believe. (Some black paint will soon sort that out.) There is also a BR numberplate and a shed plate on the smoke box door, despite the LNER livery. Mine will probably end up in BR black anyway. The frames stop immediately in front of the guard irons leaving an unsightly gap to fill. There's a less obvious gap behind the cab steps, plus the standard overlarge space between engine and tender.

This is a Beyer Peacock built engine and they were delivered with Red lining in 1936 so apart from the colour the lining is correct. I picked one up from Asda this evening. There was only one on the shelf.

Some of use get wound up about using photos that maybe copyright on this site, but here we are seeing people talking about models that have been copied from models with or without consent.

In the mag. does it say where the source of the moulding came from? 

I would not to like to bet on it.  But I'd say from China, copyrite to them does not exits as long as you change a small bit (look at some of their top of the range cars).

Think before you buy,

OzzyO.

... from China, copyrite to them does not exits as long as you change a small bit (look at some of their top of the range cars).....

The Chinese don't really recognise copyright. They have always worked on the basis that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Asda had 2, one with red paint mark on the tender so I had the other one. looks quite impressive sitting on the layout, one of the better GBL ones I think, after lining colour and/or smokebox door plate sorted out. Got an old Hornby 0-6-0 chassis to try but it's disappeared into another dimension so will have to look again tomorrow. But looks good enough to be worth a properly dimensioned chassis.

• Like 1

The Chinese don't really recognise copyright. They have always worked on the basis that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

That's because they all look alike!

[Ducks and runs for cover.  Only said because it's Prince Philip's birthday today]

Hello all,

what will happen when all of the originals have been copied and no new originals are been made (due to all of the main models having been copied and the producers of them getting no MONEY back to reinvest in more models)  what are you going to do then?

Yes keep buying the cheap copies of good models, but when the supply of good models runs out please remember why! 

Hornby, Backman & Co will only let it go for a short while and the plug will get pulled.

That is just my thought on it,

OzzyO.   

Hello all,

what will happen when all of the originals have been copied and no new originals are been made (due to all of the main models having been copied and the producers of them getting no MONEY back to reinvest in more models)  what are you going to do then?

Yes keep buying the cheap copies of good models, but when the supply of good models runs out please remember why! 

Hornby, Backman & Co will only let it go for a short while and the plug will get pulled.

That is just my thought on it,

OzzyO.   

Hi OzzyO,

This aspect of the magazines has been discussed before in the thread (although don't ask me where in the 200-odd pages it is!). From what I understand, the copyright on the models extends to any copies made directly from the original models (i.e. anything where a Hornby/Bachmann/Lima/etc. model has had a mould made directly from the model). These models appear to have been made by carefully (in most cases!) measuring the RTR model, and using the dimensions (regardless of whether they're correct or not - see the Lima Western, for example). A new model is then made from these measurements. This is all legal and acceptable, and various details give away the fact that the GBL models have not simply been moulded from the RTR equivalents: Different patterns of coal lumps in tenders, for example, or some of the howlers that have appeared in valve gear, unlike the coal models of locos we've all seen around, which have often been moulded complete with tension-lock couplings!

The magazine is a strictly limited run, from all we can tell - there are no plans to continue beyond issue 41 (at least that we've been told of). Certainly there's no danger of all the decent models being copied cheaply. I would also hazard a guess that these models are unlikely to hugely harm sales of Hornby or Bachmann models - on a personal level, the models I have bought from GBL have been models I would have been extremely unlikely to buy RTR, but which I bought because they were attractive, cheap models, within my budget. I have 4 C class locos, which I'm hacking about into freelance 0-6-0s, on newly-bought Hornby Jinty chassis. Sorry Bachmann, but even if they were £60 a pop, I wouldn't be able to afford to do that with an RTR loco, let alone 4! 

Hope this helps,

skinnylinny

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

If you want a "correct" model the J38 is only the same as a J39 minus splashers if you choose one of those J38s reboilered with J39 boiler. The original J38 boiler was 6" longer in the barrel, with smokebox 6" shorter and chimney further forward.

The series would also appear to have been relatively successful. Were it to encourage - say - a nice partwork by Atlas Editions on UK railcars or carriage stock with totally original models (weren't they in their French range?), any qualms I might have had buying from this title would fly out of the window...

Edited by Mark Dickerson

• RMweb Premium

The series would also appear to have been relatively successful. Were it to encourage - say - a nice partwork by Atlas Editions on UK railcars or carriage stock with totally original models (weren't they in their French range?), any qualms I might have had buying from this title would fly out of the window...

I have some of these Atlas French railcar models and they really are very good models, very much on par with the EFE tube stock, one even has a raised floor over the bogies making motorising easier. There is an immense number of prototypes out there, enough I think to provide two separate series, one steam and one petrol/diesel, particularly if you take into account Ireland and colonial units.