Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Can some one pick up Locomotion No1 (2 if possible) for me please, I'll cover the cost and postage no problem, PM me if you are able to do this, I'd appreciate it, thanks in advance.

I could do, if only I can find somewhere that sells 'em. None at Asda Wembley just now.

This looks like huge fun.

The photos suggest the wheel profile / flange could be turned down to nearer P4!!  :jester:

A charming little model but it is that - very little.

"Locomotion" looks like it has been scaled to fit the track gauge, which is based on OO ie undersize, not true 4mm scale. I've only put a ruler against the wheels and they are about 12mm diameter, whereas if the prototype is "approx 4 feet" then they should be 16mm. Has anyone else taken a careful look at its scale?

Very glad I bought one though, it's very attractive with its chauldron wagon even if it'll be dwarfed by the Aifix "Rocket" I wanted to display it next to.

• Like 1

Definitely the A2, saved the best until near last. (But that's because it is a fairly recent model in RTR of a class useful to me; everything available longer term in RTR, I already had sufficient purchased as feedstock for projects.)

A charming little model but it is that - very little.

"Locomotion" looks like it has been scaled to fit the track gauge, which is based on OO ie undersize, not true 4mm scale. I've only put a ruler against the wheels and they are about 12mm diameter, whereas if the prototype is "approx 4 feet" then they should be 16mm. Has anyone else taken a careful look at its scale?

If they had a decently accurate model to copy from, and scaled it to fit 16.5mm gauge track it would be an HO model. Loco wheels would be circa 14mm diameter in HO.

• Like 1

TBH, I liked the Pannier. Yes it was one of the worst with such an old starting point, dimension-ally horrible and with more things wrong than you could shake a stick at but it's the one that I am enjoying most as I slowly improve aspects of it to bring it up to (almost) Bachmann's standard.

• Like 1

Wonder if anything else is on the horizon?

My favourite loco out of the GBL series was the Stanier 8F. What was yours?

I hope there is more, I really hope there's more

As for my favourite? The Ivatt, although the J39 comes 2nd with the 8F and K3 close behind.

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 2

I've most appreciated the models that have been useful in terms of easy motorisation and body swapping, despite dimensional niggles because of the base models!

So Mallard, the J39, the Western and the 47 have been my "favourites".

The other ones I've bought are/will be used for background stock and exercises in livery changes, renumbering and weathering.

Locomotion will probably become the subject of a small diorama.

• Like 1

My favourite loco out of the GBL series was the Stanier 8F. What was yours?

My favourite was the C class 0-6-0, it was the first time I'd looked at GBLs, I could straightaway see its conversion potential and bought three. I've since bought a GCR Director on Ebay which will be equally useful, at least for its tender moulding. The 8F and 2MT were good and I've bought a few of others since, but the ones based on Triang Hornby and Lima originals were disappointing.

The one I'd like to see appear, if they ever do another GBL series, is the LMS 10000/1 diesel.

• Like 1

.....My favourite loco out of the GBL series was the Stanier 8F. What was yours?

I'm not sure I have a favourite, with just three good enough to make it as runners. The few that I bought were primarily for their parts - useful for other things - since the original sources no longer sell bodies as spares.

• Like 1

Well, no 47s or Locomotion seen in Chester as of yesterday afternoon....desert conditions RE: GBL :(

Favourite models?

Mallard, easy to motorise, as with the Caledonian Single 123, and the LNER B12 (still in bits....).

Not so easy, but very good to have, the C Class (also in bits....with a part modified Airfix 4F!)...as the Bachmann one is so expensive/ hard to find!

Others will be sorted out, as and when.

I certainly didn't "get them all", some I never saw available in time, some I just resisted very well...... ;)

EDIT: to add, I forgot about the Ivatt 2-6-2 T....another easy to motorise...as long as you can get a Bachmann 2-6-2 Chassis that is. (The finished loco is sitting on the layout quietly.... ;)

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

A thought on the scale of 'Locomotion'. If it is derived from the Bachmann 0 scale one there's a fair chance they've simply halved the size. Now, if the original was 1:43.5 that should make it 1:87 (H0), but what if the original was to the US 1:48 scale? That would make it 1:96, barely bigger than 3mm scale, which would make the wheels about the right size....

Edited by BernardTPM

A thought on the scale of 'Locomotion'. If it is derived from the Bachmann 0 scale one there's a fair chance they've simply halved the size. Now, if the original was 1:43.5 that should make it 1:87 (H0)....

Even more interesting. I think there are sketches or drawings out there with a few known dimensions, so that will help determine what sort of scale resulted. It could even turn out to be some weird amalgam.

....but what if the original was to the US 1:48 scale? That would make it 1:96, barely bigger than 3mm scale, which would make the wheels about the right size....

Awkward, given that the visible gauge is sort-of 16.5mm.....

Surprised that two Locomotion still in Sainsburys, Hatch Warren, Basingstoke this morning (I'm not going back).

I thought it looked too small for 00 gauge, endorsed by some comments seen here after I returned.

It's all black so, ideal for a painting project, though the model does not interest me and I left it there.

Difficult to say which model I bought is my favourite.

Mostly Southern that I purchased and they are all about the same standard (good enough for me).

I enjoyed motorising and super detailing the Bulleid.

The others in my set require more intense modification I think - maybe one day.

Shame its finished. I enjoyed reading comments here too.

The series brought out the 'hunter-gatherer' instinct in my as I searched for the illusive stock in the shops.

Someone asked if the Hatchett 'Your Model Railway Village' is still running.

Answer Yes. (An article I wrote for it appeared in issue 8.

Edited by davidsmith_uk

A thought on the scale of 'Locomotion'. If it is derived from the Bachmann 0 scale one there's a fair chance they've simply halved the size. Now, if the original was 1:43.5 that should make it 1:87 (H0), but what if the original was to the US 1:48 scale? That would make it 1:96, barely bigger than 3mm scale, which would make the wheels about the right size....

Looking at the head on photo posted on the previous page, the loco is clearly undergauge for the track; so if we assume that it is in proportion throughout as a model then it is somewhere midway between HO and TT3. Interesting isn't it, that without an OO subject to scan, the product finished up to no established scale and gauge combination. Which only leads me further down the path of suggesting that their process is clearly dependent on intellectual property theft...

The question is whether said established manufacturers have the budget and inclination to pursue litigation. Given the apparently tight margins on which they appear to operate these days, I would have thought that would influence their legal decisions......

I grant you all this, but an org the size of Kader must have lawyers drawing salaries. They may well consider them better occupied frying much bigger fish; but my experience has been that the best time to act is while the fish is small fry. That there was neglible  - and possibly even no - loss from this use of their intellectual property this time around might lead to an inclination not to spend any of the limited cash supply in a challenge. But presumably a profit has been made, and if effectively re-invested in the exploiting business, the next 'bite' may be by a significantly bigger and more capable shark.

I'm disappointed gents. I thought if I looked in today somebody would already have a running conversion of Locomotion, with fully working beam motion, firebox glow, animated footplate crew and authentic digital wheezing sounds managed to find somewhere that sells them

There, that's better.

Looking at the head on photo posted on the previous page, the loco is clearly undergauge for the track; so if we assume that it is in proportion throughout as a model then it is somewhere midway between HO and TT3. Interesting isn't it, that without an OO subject to scan, the product finished up to no established scale and gauge combination.....

I think proper scale dimensions / drawings are available from model engineering firms such as A.J. Reeves, so that might provide a clue as to the dodgy scale / gauge used by GBL for this finale.

Asda supplied me with my 'Locomotion' this morning. Without running a ruler over her, she seems to be TT scale, apart from the track gauge, which is normally less than 16.5mm anyway, but clearly too wide here.

Obviously life's too short to even try to make her work, so she is destined for display following a repaint. Whether I shall attempt to make some correct scale track is another matter. 3' fishbelly rails on stone 'pot' sleepers would look nice though. (Plastic rod on top of carefully filed plastic strip fish bellies seems the way to go - there are only a few inches to do.)

Yet another item for the 'to do' pile........

drawings here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=drawing+locomotion+no+1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CC4Q7AlqFQoTCISq293W7McCFcezFAodiD0AKQ&biw=1304&bih=670

(No comment on the young lady, who has slipped in on row 6.......)

I missed out on the class 47, but will look out for a green Lima example at the right (stingy Grifone) price.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I picked up a couple of Locomotions today, and my first thoughts are that it is underscale, almost 3mm to the foot. It is a lot smaller than Rocket, whereas my memory of Locomotion on Darlington station was that it was almost the same size. And Rocket isn't huge.

I'm going to put a loco plus a few chaldrons on a plinth to make a small train - you won't get many figures in a chaldron, though, which also indicates the small scale, so if anyone wants a loco-only I've got a couple. I'm almost tempted to try a resin cast of the chaldron for a small train, and perhaps a dandy cart. It won't sit properly on OO track, though, and will need some hammering in that direction. Perhaps make up a section of stone-sleepered, but I'm not getting into fishbelly rails.

The colour - they've just copied the Bachmann pewter finish, haven't they? It will need a repaint of some sort, even if only slapping some Oily Steel on the motion. But it's very cute.

If I planted it, would it grow?