Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Guest spet0114

How about a GBGBLL or  'Great British GBL locomotives series' - each issue contains a clone of a GBL model......

Edited by spet0114

...Before he left the Fount of Knowledge did let slip that they are of Eastern European manufacture...

Given how well 'the source' did on the basis of a knock off, so the tooling cost is included in the retail price along with the gargantuan packaging and a magazine; I feel Hornby could do a lot worse than try this outfit with some of their own older tooling, initially as a source of Railroad product.

The mouldings and castings on the A2 are very crisp and clean, they clearly have good technique on tap.

Guest spet0114

Given how well 'the source' did on the basis of a knock off, so the tooling cost is included in the retail price along with the gargantuan packaging and a magazine; I feel Hornby could do a lot worse than try this outfit with some of their own older tooling, initially as a source of Railroad product.

The mouldings and castings on the A2 are very crisp and clean, they clearly have good technique on tap.

And I think it's fair to say, got better with practice.  Painting and lining, on the other hand were a bit more variable....

Agreed - a point I believe I made much earlier in the series, though it should be borne in mind that the prices of the GBL models are excluding VAT as they are for tax purposes a free gift with an expensive magazine! That said, even allowing for VAT and the cost of better quality control I don't see why bodyshells shouldn't be able to be produced for around the £15 mark. Providing motorised chassis and final assembly would be more difficult of course, perhaps as far as the diesel models are concerned Hornby should commission Kato to produce them for them - if they could produce 00 chassis to a similar price/quality as their N gauge ones it  ought to be possible to put Railroad diesels together for around the £45 mark

• Like 3

And so it begins.

A GBL Mallard on ebay for £27.50, and never any mention that it doesn't run...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Polish-built-Class-A4-Mallard-locomotive-00-guage-for-display-only-/301740108114?hash=item46411ca952

Hmm...the "description hints that you could do more than just display it....

A Brand new Loco, in its unopened packaging. An incredible low price for a fine model. This will look great even if you just want to display this fine example of engineering. I bought it by mistake thinking it was an "0|'gauge. Still an incredible bargain. But I finally sold some grandchildren and can afford the Bassett Lowke " 0 gauge beauty.

Also, the use of the first photo...taken from the backing card I think...is shared with this listing...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Class-A4-No-4468-Mallard-UK-1938-OO-1-76-L/131583072786?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D6a56d15507714c06b977dfb4159f29fd%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D301740108114

At least this seller is quite clear as to what you get.... ;)

Model sold by us does not have a motor and does not move.

It is a stationary collector's model to be placed on the shelf / in the showcase.

Models sold by us are brand new made of metal and plastic.

Packed in original closed soft blisters or hard cases (depends from model).

Soft plastic blisters are only to protect the models and are not a subject to complaint.

They may be damaged or crushed during transport.

Our priority is the model so we will not be liable for state of the transparent packaging.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

ASDA Bodmin - one in stock; (hidden behind the new Doctor Who partwork, lefthand end of the magazine rack when facing the doors).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Still there - hiding behind the Doctor Who partworks !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Still there - hiding behind the Doctor Who partworks !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

What it is, just as someone picks it up to buy it (according to the well known "trousers of time"), the Tardis referenced in the partwork moves it back to the point when it was first put on the shelf as the purchaser walks off with their copy.

You may well think its still there, but its not the same thing......

I think I need to sit in a darkened room for a little while.     :senile:

Nah. You know it makes sense.

Well, I'm never going to run out of 'future projects'! So far the locos I have tinkered with to some degree are the T9, A4, Deltic, Peak, Western, 47, A2, City, 28xx, Princess 8P, 8F,9F and Brit.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 2

Interestingly, this item is in Kraków, Poland. "Surplus" factory stock?

Cheers

Phil

They could well be, seeing the large range of 'partwork' items on offer. The prices aren't high considering... (e.g. a metal completed model of 'Titanic' for £14.95, which is not much more than the Revell plastic kit of the same ship.) (Must finish mine.......)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Hi, all.  Just back from holibobs, so just reading in.  

No sign of the 47 in Knutsford on 3rd September, Carlisle on the 4th, or Falkirk on the 5th, but did manage to snag one  in ASDA at Elgin late evening on the 5th, and another in WHSmiths at Inverness on the 7th.   Elgin ASDA  store also had two Locomotion issues on the 10th September.

On our return trip, Livingston WHSmiths had a Locomotion on the 14th, and checked in WHSmiths at Dumfries on the 18th just in case the mythical issue 42 had appeared, to find that they had five copies of Issue 37, Lord Nelson, sadly not one of my interests. Perhaps  surplus stocks are being issued/cleared ?

...it should be borne in mind that the prices of the GBL models are excluding VAT as they are for tax purposes a free gift with an expensive magazine! That said, even allowing for VAT and the cost of better quality control I don't see why bodyshells shouldn't be able to be produced for around the £15 mark...

Why so expensive? Start from the entire scan and manufacture of the tooling, the manufacturing and finishing of the model, production and printing of the magazine, gargantuan packaging, and costs of the retail distribution inflated by the unnecessarily bulky product, and finally the profit margins for producer and retailer; all that for £8.99. Let's guess that half of that shop retail price may be assigned to the model element, half on the superfluous tackle: magazine and 90% of the packaging.

Compare to production from available tools, finishing of the model and compact packaging and shipping: that should be well under the £4.50 mark because of the start from available tooling eliminating all of the scanning and tooling stage. The VAT might bring it up to a fiver retail - remember that whatever the profit element Amercom and retailer take, is baked in already in that price - and that's for all the exterior visible parts of a fair sized loco.

The question then becomes what capability exists to produce and assemble the working components, to move the product from a static to running model. If that exists at the same location, then it looks a good prospect to me.