Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Of course the "missing" bits are fine for how a station would look after BR rationalisation (or electrification) if you can hide the slots (maybe by wrapping the model in brick paper).

Incidentally I may have some of the platform sections going spare somewhere (though I'd need to check as they were in a box of bits I was clearing out a few weeks ago and can't remember what I did with them!) .

I've found them - two ramps and a centre section. Unless anyone here wants them, I'll give them to the Tri-ang Society at Warley.

The 8f tender bodies were indeed die-cast, as are the Wrenn 8f tender bodies. The same cast chassis was used for the plastic moulded bodies on the later HD "Cities".

Hornby made versions of the LNER 8-wheel tender from "Flying Scotsman" for Wrenn to use with the A4 locos, instead of the HD tin-plate type. Wrenn did not make much in tin-plate at all....

Hattons used to advertise such converted locos. The Pannier Tank was the Gaiety / Castle Arts body, mounted on a Tri-ang 2-Rail chassis, or a Hornby Dublo R1 chassis (2 Rail). Possibly they also did a 3-rail conversion?

The advert advised that genuine Hornby Dublo 3-rail piick-up parts in their conversions of Tri-ang locos...possibly including the Tri-ang S.R. EMU.

Hattons converted Tri-ang 0-6-0 chassis to 3 rail and the Gaiety tank was offered in 3 rail fitted with this (Neither chassis fitted very well as the Gaiety body (and its proper chassis) are correct in wheelbase for GWR 2721 or 57xx pannier tanks*). AFAIK they didn't offer 3 rail Dublo tanks. The pickups were available as a spare in the 60s IIRC, but I think Hattons had links with Meccano Ltd. though I have no proof of this.

*The model was sold (usually) numbered 5700, but appears to be a 2721 (parallel chimney, extended valences and the shape of the steps). Possibly because the last 2721 was withdrawn about the same time as the model appeared. They are usually lettered G W R (in Caerphilly Works style) but a BR black version was available. I'm not sure if the one I have is original Gaiety or someone's repaint. I also have a boxed GWR example, but the original paint all flaked off and it's now been repainted - green of course though only one side is lettered (I have several models like this......)

• Like 3

This is my stab at a "Tyne Dock" 9F using Dave Alexander's conversion kit. The loco is the GBL Evening Star, running on a Railroad chassis. The tender is the BR1b from the GBL B 4MT mogul. It still needs real coal.

Pipework is 30 Amp fuse wire which has the advantage of being easy to bend but less easy to straighten. I fitted AWS equipment as well as the usual handrails, lamp irons etc. The loco numbers look large but this was standard Darlington practice. I'll add overhead warning flashes in due course, and at some stage will tackle the cast steps on the leading bogie.

I carefully put away the pipework under the fireman's cab, which had become dislodged. I put it away so carefully that I now can't find it so have ordered a replacement Genesis pewter casting. I'll number that side once I'm sure the casting is firmly attached. Then it's just weathering and into the loft.

post-1659-0-50227500-1447963281.jpg

post-1659-0-15766600-1447963290.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 7

Copper wire can be straightened by pulling - clamp one end in the wire and pull the other with pliers (not too hard or it will deform and break) or, alternatively, roll it on a flat surface.

It works for harder materials, but more force is required, obviously, and the rolling method is to be preferred.

After a rather prolonged break did some more work on 60505 Thane of Fife....valve gear adapted and working....home made cylinders....body GBL V2 and Old Hornby A3. Mashima motor...high level kits gearbox with flywheel....tender converted from Hornby tornado....still bogie wheel splashers on frames to be added and some way of adding brakes ear between the very limited space between driverspost-23587-0-98243300-1448204840_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

...home made cylinders...

And it shows, in the right way. Most RTR - and even some otherwise good kits -  the cylinders are just a bit 'undernourished', missing a millimetre or so in length and height; all in the interests of easier clearances around curves. But these are properly big and beefy, and get the look of these locos , on which the cylinder blocks were very prominent.

Dear all just feeling rather smug after the kind comments about the cylinder....something was bugging me....the cab roof...a rear flare...didn't look right....then...realised I had dropped her whilst fettling the chassis...broke of the rear of the cab roof. A quick dash up the loft....on my knees....there it was the missing piece.....now reunited courtesy of plastic weld.....pride before a fall I fear....

Was the chassis the loco drive version, i cant remember if i suggested this already but Hornby p2 or b1 drivers would give you the correct wheels.

Gary

Yes its a loco drive chassis. I must confess for some reason I have always struggled to get a modern Hornby chassis back together after dropping out the bottom and releasing the wheels. No doubt there is a simple trick and I'm just being a hamfisted dork....

John

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how much interest there is around this thread, but here anyway is my second-last Mallard morphed into Gateshead's 60005. I tried to get her in "used but not yet 52A filthy" condition.

It is one of the easiest GBL conversions as the body shell is hollow already and the loco/tender has separate handrails, replaced here with wire. I used an early Chinese loco-drive chassis and Hornby tender chassis, as both were available. Paint is Halfords Rover Brooklands Green, weathered using Modelmates Soot and Oil Brown dyes from aerosol cans, and Fox Transfers.

post-1659-0-53999500-1449163634.jpg

• Like 12

John you mention how easy it s to fit the gbl body without the necessity to remove great wedges of plastic from the underside of these models. You know from our pms my surprise on how much had to be removed from the j39 to get the Bachmann chassis in. You are also aware post 60505 I intend to create the brace of princesses....46205 Mike edge chassis in br black in homage to my first ever electric loco Xmas 1964....she will have the unique motion bracket....something the triang one never had....the second on comet chassis 46200 in br maroon on comet chassis bought st Warley...with the GWR slidebars...and my last gbl body...46210 lady Patricia br maroon lined orange and black...on Hornby chassis with rear pony truck and side hangars replaced ....will post in due course...and the j39 which will be numbered 64767 after a cowlick example....which apparently has been kidnapped by those dastardly mid landers and co opted on to freights into brum.....just as Saltley is getting used to an A2/2 in its midst....

• Like 2

Funnily enough, trainspotting at the time didn't reveal to me the issue of how dirty Gateshead, and to a lesser extent, Heaton,s pacifics were. We were more concerned that they weren't cops!!!

I found that lots of plastic needs removing from J39 and K3 locos, ant to a lesser extent A3 to get the GBzl body onto my chosen RTR chassis. This is a particular issue if using Bachmann split chassis. I suspect the V2 would be the same.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much interest there is around this thread...

Neat representation of the workstained A4. It was York's allocation of pacifics that were generally regarded as being kept least well. Some were fully up to LMR standards of solid filth, no paint on show if we can help it.

Am I the only one thinking that with the rate of releases over the previous two years, and no signs of any reduction in this activity; there's a rapidly growing selection of all-new subjects for "GBL, Round 2"? There seems to be no end to partworks in this general style turning up in WHS etc. so clearly there's money it.

It would be nice to think another series would be produced. The list of additional planned releases contained some interesting stuff but I'm afraid I didn't keep it Weatheringman published it on his site and I don't have access anymore. 

...The list of additional planned releases contained some interesting stuff but I'm afraid I didn't keep it Weatheringman published it on his site and I don't have access anymore. 

Prompted by that, I went for a quick look see, and couldn't access the relevant section. But what could be read was TWM's contact on the production side reported opinion on any future resumption. In short 'not very likely' as he saw it, the falling sales as the GBL series progressed not helping its case.

However, as many of us will know, today's wisdom can readily be overturned as the years pass; all kinds of everything are within the bounds of possibility.

• RMweb Premium

I can't help wondering if those "falling sales" were because people couldn't get hold of it?!  I looked for a couple of issues, only found one (though in the end decided I didn't need it).