Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Gold

A little update on the Gladstone.

I have done some more work on it and the body finally has some parts stuck together. One of the biggest hold ups I've had so far is that the loco is now on it's 3rd footplate as my first one was not long enough and the second one snapped when I was trying to correct a mistake with the chassis mounting point. Still it is getting there and I think it is really starting to look the part:

gladstone3.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well the Gladstone is looking very good now with a lot more details added. Hopefully some primer on the week and paint next!

gladstone1.jpg

gladstone2.jpg

gladstone3.jpg

And in related news my Gladstone will soon be in print as I have been approached by a magazine about doing and article relating to the build and showing the finished loco.

Gary

• Like 6

No excuses now Gary you'll have to get it finished now mind you it is looking really good. Soon be ready for a blow over with primer and when its one colour no mater what that is it always gives them the wow factor. I cant wait, this is one of those models that even though you don't model this area you just want to build one anyway.

Keep it up Gary

Regards Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Sir Charles Newton A4: scrap a4 Hornby body, railroad chassis super detail valve gear and GBLM tender. Airbrush and powder weathering.

13164466_10153436509351020_7645391702560

Plans a foot for A3 Diamond Jubilee and an  A2/2

Edited by davidw
  • Like 9

Inspired by the excellent J38 above, here's a bit of rather slow progress with my GBL J39..

post-4032-0-85471900-1463506523_thumb.jpg

Space cut out for chassis. I've got a Hornby 0-6-0 chassis which will fit but could also use  a kit-built  one from another loco that's being upgraded so have to experiment.

post-4032-0-52543800-1463506996.jpg

I've got a comet chassis kit for the jinty.   Moulded handrails cut off both locos and tender and turned handrail knobs fitted.

I was concerned about spraying over the GBL paint  after problems reported about it.   Both  the J39 and the  Jinty have been sprayed with Halfords primer then Halfords matt black and the paint has gone on ok.

Also in handrail corner is another sort of GBL-ish project,  2 Hornby railroad Tornados  being converted to earlier BR spec. This has also involved paring off moulded handrails....    threading turned handrail knobs onto .4mm wire is certainly convincing me my eyesight is still ok...  :-)

The Tornados have the advantage of being cheap and running very well. These 2 are intended to become Kestrel and Osprey which were Darlington engines with flush rivets on cab and tender. However if they come out ok I'm thinking of using the GBL A2 tender and possibly cab  (which have pop head rivets) to make a Doncaster built loco from another Tornado..

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Any more news on the Gladstone. I am looking forwards to seeing the finished engine.

A little bit of info for you all. The forceps Railroad Bill has shown you are known where I work as Mosquitos. The are artery/stitch holders. They come in both straight and curved tips. Just a bit of info for those who may want to buy a pair.

Cypherman

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

The Gladstone is progressing and at the weekend got its first coat of I.E.G paint. I have used Phoenix Precision P476 for the paint which although I think looks to brown when compared to "Stepney" on the Bluebell, which is the only I.E.G loco I have seen up close, it does seem to match the colour Hornby use for their terriers quite well. I have painted the tender in Olive (Phoenix Precision P477) as I will be making my own transfers so will make full sides and I think having olive as the tender base colour will be easier.

I don't have any decent pictures yet but will take some when I get in later in the meantime I will post an image from my layout thread showing an overview of everything I painted.

brightonRainbow.jpg

Gary

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Unfortunately not at the moment. The house was turned into a building site as I needed another bedroom so modelling slowed down and since then I have been working mainly on a control panel for the layout we are building at club with just a few small bits done to my layout in between. Next stage is to get another coat of paint on it and see if I can make some acceptable transfers when I get a chance. Hopefully won't be long. I should be ordering the number plates in the next couple of weeks.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Any more news on the Gladstone. I am looking forwards to seeing the finished engine.

A little bit of info for you all. The forceps Railroad Bill has shown you are known where I work as Mosquitos. The are artery/stitch holders. They come in both straight and curved tips. Just a bit of info for those who may want to buy a pair.

Cypherman

Hi, been away so only just had another look as this thread.  Gaugemaster do the locking forceps that I've found useful for handrail threading. 

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM621&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster+GM621

However they can turn up at exhibitions on miscellaneous  tools stands.

• 2 weeks later...

This prompted me to have a quick look. There do seem to be GBL listed, some at reasonable prices.

I've no connection with any of these, but for instance:  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/great-british-locomotives-collection-X11-5-still-with-mags-all-still-boxes/162148243252?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37567%26meid%3D184c9f262f8a4338946ec5694adf1a50%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122048455846

And the popular T9:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Great-British-Locomotives-LSWR-Greyhound-4-4-0-locomotive-1-of-6-listed-/122048455846?hash=item1c6aa7a4a6:g:9vYAAOSwNKRXi-QK 

And the "similar items" bar pointed to some more . 

I did buy one GBL direct from Amercom ok,  but this has reminded me that I did have trouble with another order that didn't turn up.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

I'd say if you can get hold of them they are worth collecting. Some models more than others. If you look back through some of the old posts on here you can see what I and others have done with their models. Me it was often just a renumber a little detailing and some weathering, or a complete repaint. Other people carried out major conversion work or fitted motors to them.

I found them an inexpensive fun way of learning new skills

• Like 1