Great British Locomotives

EddieB

The word "ouch" springs to mind, John. Something to look out for, I guess.

Re Thompson 4-6-2s,  I came across this on the BFI website, which I learned about here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108579-discover-railways-on-film/&do=findComment&comment=2214976

it comprises amateur films by David Gordon, (the Marquis of Aberdeen). Most of lines near Aberdeen in early 60s, plus other Scottish lines, with A4s, A3s A2s and V2s, plus early diesels class 21 and a 4 wheel rail bus.

Near the end (at about 22 or 23 mins) there are also a couple of earlier clips  of the Royal train pulled by 2 B1s with Briitish Railways on their tenders and another of A2/2 Earl Marischal  numbered 60502 in LNER green, and lettered LNER on the tender, starting a train of teak coaches. .

http://player.bfi.or...way-films-1963/

The link also takes you into a lot of other films now available.

Bill

Video shows a bit more than just Teak, Earl Marischal is pulling Coronation stock still in pre war colours at least two coaches are visible. The B1 's pulling beautiful LMS 12 wheel coaches as well .

• Like 1

GBL Magazines / Books Wanted.

Just the Magazines / books. No models required.

For our Reference Library...

3, 6, 9, 10. 12, 22, 28 and 33 have arrived. With much thanks.

I would like to obtain the other books that I don't have.

2, 4, 5,  11,  13,   17, 18,  21, 24,  27, 31, 32,  36, 37, 41.

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd add this here to show some of the things that can be done with a nice cheap supply of bodyshells. I would of never attempted something like this before the GBL models but at the weekend I started with a Triang M7 and a GBL T9 as can be seen below:

gladstone1.jpg

And by the end of the weekend I had what I feel is a good start of an LBSCR b1 "Gladstone":

gladstone2.jpg

I have always wanted a Gladstone but do not have the funds to get the GEM kit and would never of thought of attempting to make one if it was not for this series. I can see a lot more modelling like this for years to come from a lot of people more talented that myself producing some very fine locos indeed.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

• Like 13

I thought I'd add this here to show some of the things that can be done with a nice cheap supply of bodyshells. I would of never attempted something like this before the GBL models but at the weekend I started with a Triang M7 and a GBL T9 as can be seen below:

>Snipped

And by the end of the weekend I had what I feel is a good start of an LBSCR b1 "Gladstone":

gladstone2.jpg

I have always wanted a Gladstone but do not have the funds to get the GEM kit and would never of thought of attempting to make one if it was not for this series. I can see a lot more modelling like this for years to come from a lot of people more talented that myself producing some very fine locos indeed.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Good idea!

Now then....the trailing wheels. Are they from the City of Truro Kit (Airfix/ Dapol) Tender?

What I think you may need is a set of trailing wheels from the Tri-ang Hornby "Lord of the isles" (R.354) or the same wheels in blue from theTri-ang Hornby Caledonian Single No. 123.

These are metal, with one side having an insulating bush, and are mounted on standard Tri-ang Hornby Loco axles.

They come up on that Auction Site every now and then, sometimes without the Driving Wheels!

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments!

Good idea!

Now then....the trailing wheels. Are they from the City of Truro Kit (Airfix/ Dapol) Tender?

What I think you may need is a set of trailing wheels from the Tri-ang Hornby "Lord of the isles" (R.354) or the same wheels in blue from theTri-ang Hornby Caledonian Single No. 123.

These are metal, with one side having an insulating bush, and are mounted on standard Tri-ang Hornby Loco axles.

They come up on that Auction Site every now and then, sometimes without the Driving Wheels!

The trailing wheels are actually the driving wheels from the Airfix/Dapol Rocket which I had lying around. I had only got the kit so I could use the crew with my Triang Rocket and the est of it has been looking for jobs ever since. I did consider the wheels from the "Lord of the Isles" however there were none available on their own and I didn't want to buy the driving wheels as well since I don't think ill ever need them.

I would like to get some metal wheels as the layout I inherited has insulfrog points throughout and I don't trust just the drivers from the M7 to get through them at low speeds although I haven't tested it yet as I dont have a spare chip to put in it!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If anyone is looking for a LNER V2 Green Arrow I have a spare I am happy to let go for £10 including postage.  Just gathering dust so may as well move it on.

I noticed that the Dartmoor railway supporters shop at Oakhampton had several of the GBL locos available at below the cover price whilst I was in there yesterday for a railtour leg stretching break, I recall Mallard, Scotsman, Truro, 28xx and black5, and possibly others - might be worth dropping them a line if you are looking for something?

Jon

gladstone1.jpg

gladstone2.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Gary

This is excellent I'd like to see more of this loco keep us updated on your progress. Steve

Albion Models still produce an etched brass kit for the LBSCR B1, but not easy to obtain.

Albion are often available from Dave Hammersley (Roxey Mouldings) at shows, drop him an email and I suspect there will be a solution.

Jon

@sarahagain.

Magazine #32 inbound.  :-)

GBL Magazines / Books Wanted.

Just the Magazines / books. No models required.

For our Reference Library...

Issue 32 has arrived. With much thanks.

I would like to obtain the other books that I don't have.

2, 4, 5,  11,  13,   17, 18,  21, 24,  27, 31, 36, 37, 41.

Good idea!

Hi Gary.

The wheels and axle are in the post. Posted 1st Class today.

Regards

Sarah.

• RMweb Gold

Does beg the question was it ever on Hornby's list of possible future models.....

It wasn't. Also on that tease of a cover were 'Rocket', A4 'Sir Ralph Wedgewood', 'City of Truro', and an LBSC 'Jenny Lind'. 'Rocket' of course had been produced by Tri-ang but had not been available for some years, the A4 would have to wait until 1979, and 'Truro' was considered for production but rejected by the DCM board on the grounds that it looked too much like a Dean Single (!). The two Brighton engines were never planned. This was part of a run of Tri-ang and Hornby catalogues whose covers featured engines which were not then in the range and in many cases never would be: 1970 featured a 'Castle' and a 'Jubilee', 1972 a Metrovick Co-Bo, 1973 had a 'King', and in 1974 there was yet another 'Jubilee'.

It wasn't. Also on that tease of a cover were 'Rocket', A4 'Sir Ralph Wedgewood', 'City of Truro', and an LBSC 'Jenny Lind'. 'Rocket' of course had been produced by Tri-ang but had not been available for some years, the A4 would have to wait until 1979, and 'Truro' was considered for production but rejected by the DCM board on the grounds that it looked too much like a Dean Single (!). The two Brighton engines were never planned. This was part of a run of Tri-ang and Hornby catalogues whose covers featured engines which were not then in the range and in many cases never would be: 1970 featured a 'Castle' and a 'Jubilee', 1972 a Metrovick Co-Bo, 1973 had a 'King', and in 1974 there was yet another 'Jubilee'.

The Co-Bo was, of course, one of the Hornby Dublo locomotives sold for a time as "Tri-ang Hornby" (Until stocks ran out!).

The 1972 catalogue was already finalised before the change from "Tri-ang Hornby" to "Hornby Railways", so became the last catalogue with the TH logo!

Some progress shots of my gbl j39, part way converted to a j38. The basic comet chassis has been put together, the body has been modified by removing the splashers and slightly lengthening the smokebox. The loco has had handrails fitted and the tender also. The tender needs some more modifications to its front end, the mods to the rear of the tender have already been done. I found a shot of a j38 towing what looks like a k3 tender which is unusual as they usually towed a shorter tender. The front cut out will be modified to match the photo i found.post-10572-0-92423900-1458946207_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-40968800-1458946335_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-79665000-1458946413_thumb.jpeg

I hope to have the loco finished before the perth show in june.

Gary

• Like 5

Is the dip at the front of the running plate of a J38 in the same place as on a J39?

Yes it is i moved it slightly further back to match the drawings. I completed the the chassis of the loco this afternoon, i had planned to take my girls on an easter egg hunt but fat chance o that when its p**sing with rail all day. So was a relaxing sunday afternoon in the shed for me and the soldering iron.post-10572-0-02775700-1459108290_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-76003900-1459108311_thumb.jpeg

I managed to get these couple of shots during a brief period of sunshine between the downpours. It was stoatin down most of the day.

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

An update on my Gladstone being made from parts of the GBL T9 and Tri-ang M7

Some more work happened over the bank holiday and the loco is looking a lot more compleate with its cab now finished new trailing wheels (Kindly provided by Sarahagain) and tender starting to take shape.

First a picture with my scale drawing in the background:

bankHoliday2.jpg

And an image taken after I had finished the cab showing what I have so far at the head of a rake of 4 wheel carriages:

bankHoliday3.jpg

Although it looks like the cab front is the wrong shape that is just due to the exra bits I had to add to the bottom of the firebox.

Hopefully more progress soon.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

• Like 4

More progress on my j38 with the tender now almost sone just needing the coal space modelled, or i may just put a flat sheet of plasticard over the gap and coal - easier but, itd be nice to model the coal space. Anyhow the front tender cut out has been altered to match the photo i have.post-10572-0-33315800-1459465104_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-31814900-1459465062_thumb.jpeg

Gary

• Like 10

An update on my Gladstone being made from parts of the GBL T9 and Tri-ang M7

Some more work happened over the bank holiday and the loco is looking a lot more compleate with its cab now finished new trailing wheels (Kindly provided by Sarahagain) and tender starting to take shape.

First a picture with my scale drawing in the background:

bankHoliday2.jpg

And an image taken after I had finished the cab showing what I have so far at the head of a rake of 4 wheel carriages:

bankHoliday3.jpg

Although it looks like the cab front is the wrong shape that is just due to the exra bits I had to add to the bottom of the firebox.

Hopefully more progress soon.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Some "Gladstone" information....

The Class B1 Locomotive “Gladstone” was preserved by the Stephenson Locomotive Society, as is the only surviving LBSCR Tender Locomotive. This was the first instance of preservation of a locomotive by a private body. In 1927 the SLS arranged for “Gladstone” to be displayed at the predecessor of the National Railway Museum, the old York Railway Museum at Queen Street (Then owned by the LNER, opened in 1928.). The National Collection was only founded after the Nationalisation of the Railways in 1948. “Gladstone” was only officially donated to the British Transport Commission in 1959. The first British Transport Museum was opened at Clapham in 1961. With the transfer of relics from the former BTC, Gladstone became part of the National Collection and was moved to the new National Railway Museum at York when it opened in 1975. The story of “Gladstone’s” preservation can be seen here:- http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk/SLSgladstone.htm Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 5

post-23587-0-87132300-1460218187_thumb.jpega gbl princess repainted detailed on Hornby chassis....lined out in the short lived orange black lining...46208 Princess Helena Victoria...two more yet to do 46200 and 46205 both locos with different motion to the main priduction locos
  • Like 8

Well thats my j38 conversion complete and ready to go. First pre weathered and then mukki.post-10572-0-15426900-1460319556_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-90790500-1460319655_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-00210000-1460319684_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-43940400-1460319725_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-82518000-1460319754_thumb.jpeg

Hasn't turned out too bad and i now have a j38 for less than £30 ( i used a lot of spare parts and an old set of romford which kept the cost down.

Gary

post-10572-0-15426900-1460319556_thumb.jpeg

post-10572-0-90790500-1460319655_thumb.jpeg

post-10572-0-00210000-1460319684_thumb.jpeg

post-10572-0-43940400-1460319725_thumb.jpeg

post-10572-0-82518000-1460319754_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16