RMweb

Level crossing stupidity...

An interesting Give Way road marking and signs, on the main road, perhaps stating the obvious.  Either way, they are frequently ignored, in favour of the Give Way to Traffic from the Right.  I have yet to see anyone coming out of Carting House Close, get given Right of Way from those coming up the main road.  [Particularly as much of the traffic coming up the mainroad seems to just assume they see no vehicle from the Right anyway and barge over / or Right.  It should, perhaps have an Approach With Great Caution, signage added!]

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Salisbury/@51.0839835,-1.7974148,35m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48738c5536009bb7:0xda3e080f25eaa06!8m2!3d51.068785!4d-1.794472  

• Like 1

Living on the outskirts of Bradford and working in the city, priority at any junction is; always be expected to Give Way To Most Expensive Car, and at all times any Audi with tinted windows has priority, speed limit exemption, and overtaking rights on any street wider than a footpath :)

To get back to level crossings, but staying in Bradford:

20220126_081431.jpg.bcd1c6c8f04739f70ca3fb93def9e1ba.jpg

This former level crossing (old goods avoiding line, long gone though the automatic barrier is still there) is on a rat-run between the motorway and the city, and I've seen some spectacular air-launches off it. Indeed a relative wrote-off a cars suspension in the 80's here. The lorry just visible had stopped short, the driver realising he was probably going to ground on the edge...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Living on the outskirts of Bradford and working in the city, priority at any junction is; always be expected to Give Way To Most Expensive Car, and at all times any Audi with tinted windows has priority, speed limit exemption, and overtaking rights on any street wider than a footpath :)

I know of other locations that could easily apply to

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Have a go at this one from Brum (the land of confusing road signs):

https://goo.gl/maps/Q6c1fXZQtqd8buRQ9

Haunch Lane is the "main" road.

Or this one nearby:

https://goo.gl/maps/qGkmES3PfS1URnfG7

Yardley Wood Road is the "main" road.

Thin dashed lines, thick dashed lines, and double dashed lines, all in one junction!

Then this one where the lines are very sparse:

https://goo.gl/maps/B6G93ZHGox3D1e2L7

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Have a go at this one from Brum (the land of confusing road signs):

https://goo.gl/maps/Q6c1fXZQtqd8buRQ9

Haunch Lane is the "main" road.

Or this one nearby:

https://goo.gl/maps/qGkmES3PfS1URnfG7

Yardley Wood Road is the "main" road.

Thin dashed lines, thick dashed lines, and double dashed lines, all in one junction!

The double mini roundabout is a very common layout, though the one that was on my test route has been replaced by a full light-controlled roundabout.

In both examples, the main road is the one with the more emphatic markings, as it's the axis upon which the presence of the junction is otherwise least visible to an approaching driver.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The double mini roundabout is a very common layout, though the one that was on my test route has been replaced by a full light-controlled roundabout.

In both examples, the main road is the one with the more emphatic markings, as it's the axis upon which the presence of the junction is otherwise least visible to an approaching driver.

If there was any truth in the fanciful ideas of priority roads etc. I would have thought there would be some mention of it in the Highway Code.  However, they have kept things simple and straightforward - all roads entering a roundabout have to give way to traffic from the right.  As @Compound2632 says, as far as I can tell, the local traffic planners have identified that drivers approaching a roundabout which appears to just be a traffic island in the middle of their through route, need further reminders of the need to give way, hence the double-line  road markings, which frankly are not always visible, the additional warning triangle in the middle of the road and the triangular Give Way signs.  Those poor souls approaching the roundabout "head on" can usually be expected to be intelligent enough to identify the obstruction as a roundabout, and drive accordingly.

My local authority is hot on Give Way markings at almost every junction, and apply them to all roads entering mini-roundabouts as they such low profile that they are very difficult to see when approaching at any speed.

• Like 3

In my experience its the drivers on what is percieved as the main road, or was before the mini roundabout was created, are the drivers who need to be told to give way. One local one still has people who just assume they are on the main road and make no attempt to slow down or give way 10 years after the mini roundabout was installed with triangles and double dashed lines buy no actual 'give way' sign.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

In my experience its the drivers on what is percieved as the main road, or was before the mini roundabout was created, are the drivers who need to be told to give way. One local one still has people who just assume they are on the main road and make no attempt to slow down or give way 10 years after the mini roundabout was installed with triangles and double dashed lines buy no actual 'give way' sign.

Its amazing the number of people who can't work out to give way to traffic from the right or who has right of way when there is a vehicle at every entrance!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

For those who might be interested, here's an update to the Collegedale incident of a few days ago, including a view showing what that huge beam was going to be part of. The bridge it was going to be part of is indended to replace the level crossing.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Another video from the Collegedale TN level crossing crash:

Shows the new section of turnpike under construction as well:

Once again, it’s amazing how little (relatively) damage there is to the front of that lead unit, given what it hit and at what speed. The windscreens don’t even appear to be cracked. Safety cabs seem to work.

Edited by pH
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, pH said:

Once again, it’s amazing how little (relatively) damage there is to the front of that lead unit, given what it hit and at what speed. The windscreens don’t even appear to be cracked. Safety cabs seem to work.

Borne out by the crew only receiving relatively minor injuries after a pretty major shunt.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I don't think anyone THAT short sighted stupid should be allowed on the road ! 🥴

..corrected it for you.

Kev.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Well, part of Metrolink was closed, again, when someone drove onto the tracks. My understanding is that it was near Altrincham

Ashton U Lyne West it was, obviously not paying attention to the road or just plain stupid driving.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I thought IKEA was on Croydon Tramlink* ....... have all our 'new' tramways got one ?

* Former Croydon 'B' Power Station site - only the chimneys remain.

I would expect IKEA to have more than one shop, and it is quite possible that more than one of them is pretty adjacent to a tramway.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, johnd said:

Ashton U Lyne West it was, obviously not paying attention to the road or just plain stupid driving.

Reported on gmp twitter feed as unaccompanied learner driver in parents car without permission failed breath test and drugs wipe car siezed under section 165 driver reported for all offences..not a very happy new year for someone . 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, peanuts said:

Reported on gmp twitter feed as unaccompanied learner driver in parents car without permission failed breath test and drugs wipe car siezed under section 165 driver reported for all offences..not a very happy new year for someone . 

But totally deserved, by the news!

• Agree 4

The plural of anecdote is not data but many years ago my father had to sort things out for a man who had lost his mother, wife and child to a teen who had taken fathers car for a drive.

Then there is the issue of the increased accident risk that 'illegal' drivers represent and that it is more difficult to get compensation for losses they cause - which drivers with insurance have to pay for.

That and you are about 5 times more likley to be killed by a vehicle when you are on the pavement than by a terrorist.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2