Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Level crossing stupidity...

I doubt the facts will ever come out as it seems very difficult to catch them. But based on what we can see, running a red light/level crossing barrier in a totally reckless way, no helmet for the pillion passenger so total disregard for the safety of his (or her!) passenger our guesses are probably close to the bone, if not correct! Though as you say we can add "stupidity" to that list as well! 😉

• RMweb Premium

Pretty much everything in this area with two wheels, motorised or pedal powered is stolen lately so this one would not surprise me in the slightest if it was proven to be of dubious provenance.  Bikes are being stolen by the hundreds on a daily basis across Sussex in the last six months.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Pretty much everything in this area with two wheels, motorised or pedal powered is stolen lately so this one would not surprise me in the slightest if it was proven to be of dubious provenance.  Bikes are being stolen by the hundreds on a daily basis across Sussex in the last six months.

One of the reasons I quit motorbikes last year. Constant fear of it being nicked & constant idiot drivers massively contributed to selling my bike. 

Edited by Weeny Works
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I can’t believe how he doesn’t even look up or acknowledge the train is there at all, thing is had he spotted it or looked up very last minute and hesitated slightly that split second of hesitation could have been his last! 

Its Preston brook crossing between weaver jn and acton grange, it was closed for a while then I seem to remember there being a long term speed restriction on it too for sighting purposes and it’s obviously reopen now and it is fitted with miniature red/green pedestrian lights

• Informative/Useful 5

10 hours ago, big jim said:

I can’t believe how he doesn’t even look up or acknowledge the train is there at all, thing is had he spotted it or looked up very last minute and hesitated slightly that split second of hesitation could have been his last! 

Probably got earphones in his ears, they seem to block out all noise very effectively, especially requests to see tickets and ones that tell them we've come to the end of their journey and it's time to get off! That is why I hate seeing cyclists and e-scooter riders or even pedestrians wearing them, they blank out a person's awareness of their surroundings...

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

It was surprising to me that passengers could have a pair of earplugs in and sit at the back of the bus and I could drive said bus and be irritated by the music, to the point that on a couple of occasions I had to get other passengers to give them a nudge, in order for me to tell the passenger to turn it down. As to what their hearing will be like as they get older, is open to debate.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

... I blame Sony - for inventing the Walkman !

I blame Philips for the first portable Musicassette player ( I had one), the Walkman was only a later development of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

It was surprising to me that passengers could have a pair of earplugs in and sit at the back of the bus and I could drive said bus and be irritated by the music, to the point that on a couple of occasions I had to get other passengers to give them a nudge, in order for me to tell the passenger to turn it down. As to what their hearing will be like as they get older, is open to debate.

It's not really open to debate, the damage is inevitable and irretrievable, although perhaps some debate as to how long before it vanishes completely.  The sad thing is that the damage means that you can't hear the sounds, so you don't know you're missing them, unlike sight, where blurring / fogginess etc occur.  Like many Ret'd military, I have shooter's ear, where the hair like stereocilia, get blasted so frequently that they get damaged and eventually disappear, so they can't vibrate the cells they were attached to, so no messages to the brain.  It's only a narrow band of frequencies that go, but they are the ones that pick the explosive beginning of Ps, Bs, Ds, Gs, Ts and distinguish between Ch, Sh, Fe etc. [not the only ones, but possibly enough to get the idea]  Lip reading helps, but two people talking at the same time is completely off the menu and initial problems with that is probably the first sign that you get, that all is not well. 

They don't grow back, hence, irretrievable in the first sentence and earplugs cover a much greater frequency bands than shooting ranges.  Sad.....

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

Like many Ret'd military, I have shooter's ear, where the hair like stereocilia, get blasted so frequently that they get damaged and eventually disappear, so they can't vibrate the cells they were attached to, so no messages to the brain.  It's only a narrow band of frequencies that go, but they are the ones that pick the explosive beginning of Ps, Bs, Ds, Gs, Ts and distinguish between Ch, Sh, Fe etc. [not the only ones, but possibly enough to get the idea] 

Comment by an RN colleague, describing a former shipmate who was coming in to visit - "Typical bl@@dy gunnery officer. Deaf as a fxxxing post".  Sadly, not uncommon in many branches of the military.

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Comment by an RN colleague, describing a former shipmate who was coming in to visit - "Typical bl@@dy gunnery officer. Deaf as a fxxxing post".  Sadly, not uncommon in many branches of the military.

Best wishes 

Eric 

Very true for so many, particularly for the RN WAFU, it always surprised me that naval gunnery / Army Artillery didn't blow their brains to slush, let alone their hearing.  Remarkable people...   big time respect!...   and likewise for all the rest of those who have / are serving.

Less sure where the folks with the earplugs on full volume and those wearing Ghetto blasters, likewise hoisted on their shoulders, to obtain the full effect, may find their justification in their latter years.  Each to their own, I suppose, but I wonder if those with the earplugs will have been quite as aware of the effects as those with the guns are.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, jcredfer said:

... I wonder if those with the earplugs will have been quite as aware of the effects as those with the guns are.

... not to mention those who drive around with their car stereo on full blast ....................... probably contravening some sort of public performance legislation too !

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Only shot 30 rounds a year for 12 years, worked on or inside radar for those 12.

Then spent 13 working on radars that may be or were attached to aircraft. Some how my hearing survived. I could hear them talking outside the soundproof hearing test box.

• Like 4

Interesting (and somewhat disturbing) notice at a crossing on the Canadian Pacific mainline this morning:

IMG_5084.JPG.375d9546b4f4d1c8f05e96532dbf71b8.JPG

This is a recent addition to the crossing, and I've not seen it on any other crossing. I wonder if it's part of a general campaign to post these signs, or has there been an incident at this particular crossing?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

On 03/03/2023 at 15:38, StuAllen said:

Unbelievable, pedestrian didn’t seem to be aware of the train at all! https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/network-rail-cctv-man-near-miss-train-125mph/

can’t imagine how the driver must have felt

On 04/03/2023 at 09:04, Hobby said:

Probably got earphones in his ears, they seem to block out all noise very effectively, especially requests to see tickets and ones that tell them we've come to the end of their journey and it's time to get off! That is why I hate seeing cyclists and e-scooter riders or even pedestrians wearing them, they blank out a person's awareness of their surroundings...

Zooming in on the still, is that a mobile held to his ear?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2