Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I'd love too but can we use the words Comet and cheap in the same sentence. ;)

Possibly not "cheap", but certainly reasonably priced (c£30) complete Comet GWR coach kits, usually with wheels, could be picked up eBay until about two years ago.

Recent experience suggests those days are gone forever with sale prices achieved nowadays approaching very closely to the cost of a new purchase from Comet, with the possible exception of Hawksworth coaches due to the release of the Hornby model. There is some "value" still to be had on eBay on most LMS coaches.

Currently displaying an ad to do with "sizing and fitting ladies bras" - that'll teach me never to sign another post on this thread as "Foxy Lady" :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Currently displaying an ad to do with "sizing and fitting ladies bras" - that'll teach me never to sign another post on this thread as "Foxy Lady" :jester:

At least you're not getting the flashy bouncy ones Foxy,that someone is complaining about on that other thread. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

It's getting a bit like Ant & Dec on here.'Don't just read the thread,you can win the ads too' :O

Terms and conditions apply.Seek the bill payers permission first.Over 18s only.Must have ID etc.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Talking of adverts again.Seen at York was this delightful Nestle chocolate machine.When were these first introduced and are there any one on this thread who remembers what the chocolate tasted like for 2d.

post-126-0-12192400-1397765221_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A beautiful sunny morning for market day in the South Hams as 4547 arrives to couple up to the cattle vans at Brent.The exhaust sounds splendid echoing off the surrounding hills.

Off to Kingsbridge.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

3796 has to stand in for failed 3864,again, to take a short freight to Hackney Sidings.It's getting beyond a joke with these flimsy wires attached to the tender for connection.What can you do.

• Like 10

Talking of adverts again.Seen at York was this delightful Nestle chocolate machine.When were these first introduced and are there any one on this thread who remembers what the chocolate tasted like for 2d.

According to Robert Opie in Sweet Memories (p113), Nestle chocolate appeared after 1905. The machines appeared about the same time and there was even one of the same glass fronted type at Camerton by 1909.

Nick

ps. that book is a good source for advertising posters.

attachicon.gifDSCN3207.jpg

Found this photograph of a twin dispenser Nestle chocolate machine, which looks similar to the machine at Brent, although clearly the Brent machine is still in Nestle wartime austerity livery and not fully lined out (it might just be old and filthy).

post-9751-0-29811300-1397827543.jpg

The Nestle machine pictured on on the right is said by auctioneers to be Victorian (1890s)* and sold for £2,500. In the 1930s it vended Nestle Smokers Chocolate :O  for 2d, as well "standard" Nestle tablets for 1d. I wonder how many bars tablets of Smokers Chocolate the Finchings bought?

Edit:

* Not quite that old then per the preceding post

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 2

...The Nestle machine pictured on on the right is said by auctioneers to be Victorian (1890s)...

Possibly. The first vending machines to become widely used on railway stations appear to have been for postcards around 1880. There are several variations of the Nestle machines, including single and double, square and round column pedestals, metal and glass fronts. Notably, the small wording between "Nestles" and "Chocolate" varies between "milk", "swiss milk" and none (usually on the later solid front types). All of these variations may be indicative of dates, but I've yet to work it out. The one in the 1909-10 photos of Camerton is, as far as I can tell, identical to Robin's example from York.

As you might guess, I've looked into this before. So far, I've not seen a clear photo showing any of these machines before about 1905. Although Société Farine Lactée Henri Nestlé produced milk chocolate from the 1870s, several sources suggest it was not widespread in Britain until after the merger with the Anglo-Swiss Condensed Milk Company in 1905.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

West Country based Manor 7804 'Baydon Manor' takes it nice and easy as she trundles through Brent.Twice.Two different sound clips of a preserved one that I quite like.It's cheaper than dcc sound isn't it. ;)

A longer version.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Here's one Andrew without any backscene soon to be rectified with the Captains help. ;) If Coachman is going to be looking at my thread I might have to get his painted coaching stock out.

post-126-0-86963000-1397841337_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A couple more videos this time of the Hornby GWR liveried 72xx renumbered to 7200 on an oil train bound for Plymouth.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

West Country based Manor 7804 'Baydon Manor' takes it nice and easy as she trundles through Brent.Twice.Two different sound clips of a preserved one that I quite like.It's cheaper than dcc sound isn't it. ;)

A longer version.

Well what could be nicer Robin than 7804 passing through Brent? ;)

I wonder when we'll see a new model of this class?  

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed the Pathe news reels Rob.

Any chance of a similar public information film showing the Manor pulling away from the platform. Despite being a S&D man, I have a soft spot for the bark of a Manor having spent some time at Blue Anchor on the West Somerset.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Any chance of a similar public information film showing the Manor pulling away from the platform.

I'm sure I could do that for you as well as the Easter Sunday special planned for tomorrow. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I shall look forward to it. I might even temporarily refrain from stuffing chocolate down myself so as to enjoy it properly.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

refrain from stuffing chocolate down myself so as to enjoy it properly.

A Happy Easter from ANTB and it's not just children who get to go on an egg hunt.

post-126-0-63698400-1397989257_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

showing the Manor pulling away from the platform.

Rob

7804 'Baydon Manor' departs from Brent in the Spring of 1947.Very time consuming these videos. ;)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A Happy Easter from ANTB and it's not just children who get to go on an egg hunt.

attachicon.gifDSCN3262.jpg

Don't remember reading about this kind of product being quarried in the Teign Valley area?  :D

A nice touch though Robin. ;)