A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't say never. Sometimes odd things happen like the up and down Cornish Riviera Express being diverted through Dulverton and down the Exe valley line with a mogul and a big prairie on, blue locos with special dispensation to run down a yellow route. You just have to dream up a good excuse.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Mr 81C. Apologies for not making myself clear.

Rob has quite an unusual loco about to traverse the branch; an unusual working. 

A Grange to Seaton from Plymouth actually happened circa 1961/2. A large engine down a small branchline similar to the Kingsbridge line (but shorter). An unusual working.

The 'don't wait'..... (to see it replicated on a layout that does not yet exist); hence one would grow old waiting to see it.

There you go.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Does anyone know of an online photo shewing the postwar position of the G badge W on a Collett tender attached to a Castle ?

Colour view on a King if it helps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colour-Rail-Slide-GW-86-could-be-36-GWR-King-6022-King-Edward-III-/321562248102?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item4ade9a83a6

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

A leisurely hour was spent with 4582 shunting some coal wagons and a toad using the crossovers at either end of the station.

I have just spent an evening going through several albums of shots of Brent through the years. From the many shots the process of shunting the yard shows as follows.

Procedure for the daily goods from Tavistock Junction, appears to have been to reverse goods trains over the Plymouth end cross over from up to down onto the river bridge. There was a shunt signal beyond the road bridge to allow this move. Once clear of the points, train would enter the loop between the branch platform and goods shed to perform the shunt. Any vehicles continuing to Kingsbridge would use the designated branch brakevan lettered KINGSBRIDGE rather than the van from Laira/Tavistock Junction. For many years it was a smaller 16 ton type as produced by K's.

The train usually continued to Hackney Yard, Newton Abbott, departing via the slip at the Totnes end. 

Hope this adds to your enjoyment.

MIke Wiltshire

Thanks Mike.I think the Frogmore kit for the AA3 toad is the correct version for Kingsbridge.

For the Frogmore Toad be prepared to write the instructions yourself. In the version I got the parts on the fret were not identified and the instructions themselves printed on an inkjet printer with all of the inks running low.

And while building it I realised I needed to invest in a blowtorch so that I woiudn't spend an age cleaning solder off the face of the kit where the iron touched.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Premium

For the Frogmore Toad be prepared to write the instructions yourself. In the version I got he parts on the fret were not identified and the instructions themselves printed on an inkjet printer with all of the inks running low.

And while building it I realised I needed to invest in a blowtorch so that I woiudn't spend an age cleaning solder off the face of the kit where the iron touched.

I'm building a Frogmore AA3, see my comments on it's construction here.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90514-etching-poor-design/page-3

Posts 71 & 72

This is the steel veranda  one I still have the timber veranda to go. I've not had to much problem with the soldering due to having invested in a London Road Models RSU..

There are a lot of other comments I could make, but these include lots of four lettered words strung together in paragraphs.

• RMweb Gold

I'm building a Frogmore AA3, see my comments on it's construction here.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90514-etching-poor-design/page-3

Posts 71 & 72

This is the steel veranda  one I still have the timber veranda to go. I've not had to much problem with the soldering due to having invested in a London Road Models RSU..

There are a lot of other comments I could make, but these include lots of four lettered words strung together in paragraphs.

Well that's put me off buying one as it looks like it's beyond my soldering skillset.I'll have a look at the kit at Warley.

• RMweb Gold

Finchings ...................................

P

One of the advantages of being friends with the signalman is getting a great vantage point for the goings on. ;)

post-126-0-29003900-1414855292_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-23632000-1414855326_thumb.jpg

• Like 11