A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

How will you back-date the Sisters???

Come to think of it ... would they have to be replaced by their parents, with junior school children in tow, building sand-castles on the beach ??

Imagination my friends.

As it's black Friday in the UK can it be followed by green Saturday then tomorrow. ;) No clues to the shade mind.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If things go to plan this weekend it should see green Friday changing to grey Saturday onto black Sunday...fingers crossed...and onto Sunshine later in the week...before things get dirty again...

• RMweb Gold

Captain

Totally OT: it has crept in from over the Atlantic, as the amount of trading the day after their Thanksgiving, which signified the start of the run up to Christmas was when trader got themselves back into the black financially. Special offers than started to appear and so on.

Last year here in the UK a number of mainly US owned stores such as ASDA got in on the act and its spread like wildfire across many stores and mediums, all without having to have turkey the day before...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I've also looked at the BBC website as well - totally pathetic behaviour by idiots who can't wait to get their hands on 'consumer goods', gotta have the latest whatever....

We model railway types would never indulge in anything like that, would we?

Thanks, I've also looked at the BBC website as well - totally pathetic behaviour by idiots who can't wait to get their hands on 'consumer goods', gotta have the latest whatever....

We model railway types would never indulge in anything like that, would we?

Wrong - but I'm trying to hold out until Cyber Monday before buying my bargain Nescafe Dolce Gusto Cherry Red Coffee Machine by KRUPS.*

In fact I'm going to buy four as retail therapy for missing out on Hornby's "Exeter", and I'll still have change from £135.

*other "must have" coffee machines are probably available at similar prices.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Wrong - but I'm trying to hold out until Cyber Monday before buying my bargain Nescafe Dolce Gusto Cherry Red Coffee Machine by KRUPS.*

In fact I'm going to buy four as retail therapy for missing out on Hornby's "Exeter", and I'll still have change from £135.

*other "must have" coffee machines are probably available at similar prices.

You might have missed out on Exeter but how about this instead.The seller contributes to this thread one way or another. ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-SR-Rebuilt-Bulleid-West-Country-Class-4-6-2-No-34004-YEOVIL-DCC-Ready-/181592539213?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a47c2404d

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I've also looked at the BBC website as well - totally pathetic behaviour by idiots who can't wait to get their hands on 'consumer goods', we?

Something tells me that items are overpriced for the retailers to cut to these ridiculous prices that cause mayhem in stores.What will they have left come the Boxing Day sales never mind new year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having not long since returned from reading it is clear that the shops seem to think Black Friday is a way of getting their Christmas sales goinfg earlier.  Hence BHS had all their weird Christmas tat gifts reduced even earlier than usual while one shop (possibly BHS again - I didn't take much notice - was advertising their 'Black Friday Weekend', almost as daft as all the blinkin' calendars which seem to have forgotten that Sunday is the first day of the week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Steady lads, as it is nearly green Saturday and weathered Sunday, I'm having 3 Yeovils and I'm going to pay a bit more than the asking price. Then I'm going to renumber 2 of them again, paying more than I should for the plates and decals. After that I'm going to buy all of Spam's Pacifcs (unrebuilt) and Ns and give him more than he wants for them.

They (whoever they are) can stuff black Friday up their  water softening device. They have nothing on the sensible spending behaviour of us enthusiasts.

Ah, that feels better. Now I'd better take my medication....

Good morning.

Quack.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

A couple of photos of the Finchings' abortive 1947 Wing Walk to Warley have just come to light:

post-9751-0-10034800-1417197031.jpg

In the first photo both planes can be seen handling badly and struggling to gain height having just missed Langstone Rock shortly after take off from Haldon Aerodrome.

The second photograph shows a "near miss" as one of the planes suddenly turns to head back to Haldon for an emergency landing.

After jettisoning the Finchings' excess baggage, which had been causing all the earlier handling problems, their Polish pilots Zbigniew and Roman took off again from Haldon with the Finchings aboard. This time it was a conventional flight heading for Baginton (Coventry) Aerodrome, so that Zbigniew and Roman could meet with their former fellow pilots of RAF 308 (Krakow) Squadron and the Finchings could meet Rob and take up their positions on ANTB.

• Like 2