RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I promise these are the final shots of 1848 until I get my Maunsell coaches sorted.Next weekend should see 5075 out of it's box now the extension lead is back 'home'

post-126-0-18575400-1420396261_thumb.jpg.

post-126-0-05480300-1420396295_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-28667000-1420396316_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-64475800-1420396341_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-00257000-1420396364_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-72025600-1420396385_thumb.jpg

Mikkel might like this one.A trio of moguls !

post-126-0-97461500-1420396701_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 16

That website link from John [Coombe Barton] is a superb find and has had me drooling over it's photos.

This '61 view of Gara Bridge in particular.Can anyone tell me the coach diagrams here as they're not B sets by the look of things.The van in Peter Gray's photo is also interesting.

Copyright.Mike Roach.

attachicon.gif5573 at Gara Bridge 61.jpg

I concur that the corridor coach is a D106..   I'd add the words "with any luck" to the suggestion that a Phoenix kit is available as discussed elsewhere.  The recessed guard's door would suggest that the coach could be modelled by sawing up two E140 BCs though I must emphasise that I have never tried it.

I'm also convinced that the non-corridor coach is an E167.  It is symptomatic of dropping traffic on the Kingsbridge branch that one coach was sufficient most days.

Apologies for lateness to the fray btw.  It takes ages to catch up with nearly two weeks work of postings after a holiday!

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob

That's not a particularly easy site to navigate - the gems are mainly hidden - you have to know where to look. (And the answer that is "In several places") There's no real navigation consistency.

That sounds an awful lot like me after a few single malts. ...

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Does that mean I can put my Southern hair shirt in the loft with the Christmas decorations?

Do they celebrate Christmas in Leicestershire then.Not much festive cheer propping up the PL !

You're safe on the Southern front for the time being but it will be back before long.

I concur that the corridor coach is a D106.

That was extremely silly of me and I can only plead too good a time in Switzerland necking gluhwein at every opportunity.  It cannot be a D106 which had but two passenger compartments and a socking great luggage section.  Taking those brake vehicles which had recessed guard's doors and door/grab handles as per the Airfix B set, D104 had four passenger compos, as did D105.  The latter was extra wide having been built for the Cornish Riviera.  D112 had three passenger compartments and D115 four.  The puzzler is the blank luggage compartment doors.  This is probably sufficient for me to be drummed out of the Brownies but I don't know the answer and am ashamed to say so.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

That was extremely silly of me and I can only plead too good a time in Switzerland necking gluhwein at every opportunity.  It cannot be a D106 which had but two passenger compartments and a socking great luggage section.  Taking those brake vehicles which had recessed guard's doors and door/grab handles as per the Airfix B set, D104 had four passenger compos, as did D105.  The latter was extra wide having been built for the Cornish Riviera.  D112 had three passenger compartments and D115 four.  The puzzler is the blank luggage compartment doors.  This is probably sufficient for me to be drummed out of the Brownies but I don't know the answer and am ashamed to say so.

Chris

Don't be so hard on yourself Chris. Blank doors......'local alteration/modification'? Something to do with replacements and the proper doors not being available? I just wish I had a better magnifying glass so that I could see the side properly.

P

• Like 1

Chris, have you had a look at the photo of a D45 in Russell's GW Coaches Appendix Vol 1. A handed version of this would seem to fit the bill. Still running in 1951, could possibly have lasted a bit longer.

• RMweb Gold

Chris, have you had a look at the photo of a D45 in Russell's GW Coaches Appendix Vol 1. A handed version of this would seem to fit the bill. Still running in 1951, could possibly have lasted a bit longer.

That's the only GWR coach book of Russell's I don't have. :cry:Was this diagram still being used in the 60s John ? 

That's the only GWR coach book of Russell's I don't have. :cry:Was this diagram still being used in the 60s John ? 

That, information I don't have. It was certainly around in the early 50's in 'blood and custard' see photo below and may well have lasted longer for branch line work. Even this shot shows that it has been substantially modified over the years - toplights plated over, flush glazed windows, mouldings removed, etc.

post-7952-0-22976200-1420550561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 1

I have.  It has the curly grab handles instead of the recessed ones!

Anyone else want to play?

Chris

I have.  It has the curly grab handles instead of the recessed ones!

Anyone else want to play?

Chris

Aw, shucks!

However, back to the D115, if the D45 as photographed had one of each pair of luggage doors blanked off, why shouldn't a D115 have received the same treatment.

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another photo find this time a superb Colour Rail job shewing 5558 and 5533 crossing at Gara Bridge.Lovely, remind me again why this branch closed.

post-126-0-32748200-1420572349_thumb.jpeg

I have quite a few duplicate photos of the branch bought by mistake over the years.PM if interested.

• Like 10

Another photo find this time a superb Colour Rail job shewing 5558 and 5533 crossing at Gara Bridge.Lovely, remind me again why this branch closed.

attachicon.gif$_57.jpeg

I have quite a few duplicate photos of the branch bought by mistake over the years.PM if interested.

Money; or rather the lack if it.  It was probably a money loser,  BR couldn't afford it and the government didn't want to subsidise it  SOS - same old story!

Brian.

Robin will know about my purchases of 44xx and 45xx kits - I'm now coming to build them - I may be some time.

The 44xx is a Malcolm Mitchell kit, the 45xx is a Churchward - but searching on the Precision Paints site I may have had the last one. The Churchward is also a Mitchell design. I splashed out and bought copies of the two MRJ Compendia I didn't have and in No 3 there's report of building a Mitchell kit - I read it - hence my remark that I may be some time. Thus far I've got round to folding up and priming the High Level gearbox for the 45xx. 

At least it keeps me off the streets.

There will be a thread - just don;t know when though, as the instructions need a bit of editing and understanding, being a photocopy of a photocopy (and repeat) of something that's 30 years old.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Robin will know about my purchases of 44xx and 45xx kits - I'm now coming to build them - I may be some time.

The 44xx is a Malcolm Mitchell kit, the 45xx is a Churchward - but searching on the Precision Paints site I may have had the last one. The Churchward is also a Mitchell design. I splashed out and bought copies of the two MRJ Compendia I didn't have and in No 3 there's report of building a Mitchell kit - I read it - hence my remark that I may be some time. Thus far I've got round to folding up and priming the High Level gearbox for the 45xx. 

At least it keeps me off the streets.

There will be a thread - just don;t know when though, as the instructions need a bit of editing and understanding, being a photocopy of a photocopy (and repeat) of something that's 30 years old.

I feel you pain regarding 'Interesting' instructions and kits John. Thankfully my current build is one of Jim's connoisseur kits which I'm finding superb in all respects.

post-6675-0-13327300-1420587505_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif$_57.jpeg

What a nice scene, thanks for sharing that Rob. The difference in shade between the two coaches is very interesting. 

Money; or rather the lack if it.  It was probably a money loser,  BR couldn't afford it and the government didn't want to subsidise it  SOS - same old story!

Brian.

An understatement.  An article in Steam Days quoting from a BR report of 1955 [prepared eight years before Beeching!] gave the following grim statistics:

Local passengers - 20 per day

Daily average of tickets issued - 67

Daily average of parcels forwarded - 68

Full-loaded wagons received per month - between 193 and 218

Wagons forwarded - between 52 and 105

Total paybill, excluding train crew - £13,766

Revenue - £17,642

Operating ratio - 392%.  In other words, movement costs were almost four times revenue.

Chris