Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Quite a few people have asked what is stored in the corrugated shed on the up platform. Today there was a delivery and a new advert was affixed to the shed, perhaps. This will need moving when the new footbridge is installed next year.

4948 approaching.

post-126-0-41691400-1438533794_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-74622600-1438533832_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-15896800-1438533888_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-48170900-1438533910_thumb.jpgpost-126-0-58649200-1438534089_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-75005500-1438533862_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Superb images, Rob.

Seeing these, it must be Sunday. All is right with the world.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Apparently its listed so they can't demolish the building. Its hard to believe there was maybe 7 station staff here in the 50s.

attachicon.gifgwrha474b.jpeg

Only 7 - doesn't sound like very many to me (there were 18 at Brent at one time but that might have included goods staff, and our local branch terminus had 60 on the paybill in the late 1950s (including goods, footplate and Perway folk).

Sorry for the, slight, hi-jacking of Robin's post - at least it has some relevance - and thanks for the responses.

Looking at my 1935 register (as you do), I noted the odd helpful thing concerning OOA locos.  For instance, 4993, Crosby Hall, was an Old Oak common engine at the time, but was recorded at Newton Abbot Factory in August.  This suggests that at the time she was running on WoE services.  She seems one to model.

Similarly, OOA 4998 and 4999 both recorded at Worcester at various times, which suggests they were mainly working that route out of Paddington.  So, less useful.  

Most just show the locomotive recorded at the home shed throughout, so it is impossible to judge whether they were employed on WoE services at the time.

A Westbury engine also recorded at St Philips Marsh and Taunton; what turns might she be working.  I haven't looked at Bristol locomotives yet.

Rob's thread often is hijacked, Ed, which is part of its appeal! You learn a lot that way from pretty girls to pretty good locos and layouts. To further the thread theft just a bit, the small tender really doesn't go well with a Hall loco as already mentioned, but it makes for variety.

Brian.

I have found examples of 4 tender-types with Halls in the period of interest.  By 1935 we have had several lots out-shopped with Collett 4,000 gallon tenders.  Tender swaps were very common, but by then there just seem to be more of the larger tenders to go round. 

The "Churchward" 3,500 gallon tender was built up to 1926, if I recall correctly, so there are still plenty around.

There are also a few examples of both the Churchward 4,000 gallon and the Collett 3,500 gallon tenders serving with Halls.  Never thought I'd need one for South Devon, but how I wish I had a redundant Mainline/Bachmann Collett Goods hanging around so I could steal its tender!

For a newish standard class (the oldest class members are only 7 years old by this point), there is not much variation in the appearance of the locomotives.  So, using different tenders has an appeal.  With GW 4-6-0 classes, I will take variety wherever I can find it!

Call me a slap-dash non-perfectionist if you will, but I never saw much wrong with the Bachmann Halls (unmodified).  The Great Western green is, to my mind, much preferable to Hornby's.  Hornby's GW green can look can look flat, or too blueish (e.g. 2800) or, even, too brown (Star).  None has the depth of the Bachmann green.

The lining is too bright on the Bachmann Halls, however, especially the boiler bands, where the effect is exacerbated by the orange lines appearing to be too wide.  The boiler bands on the Hornby Railroad GW Hall look better! 

Wait years for a Hall with a Churchward tender, and then 2 come along!

This prompts me to float the following scheme, in case anyone has any comments or advice:

• Bachmann Halls as standard, with 4,000 gallon Collett tenders (e.g.Kinlet and the various special editions), and 3,500 Churchward tender (so far, Rood Ashton), but, with some means of at least toning down the brightness of the lining.  A dark wash? new transfers for boiler bands?
  • Hornby Railroad Hall for the rarer tenders.  With replacement tenders, a repaint and partial re-lining is necessary.  I would seek to mask-off the boiler bands.  My thought would be to scratch-build the Churchward 4,000 gallon and pinch a Collett 3,500 gallon from a Collett Goods.

As the Railroad Hall comes with the 3,500 Churchward tender, I could repaint and letter this as an unlined tender for a Collett Goods, modifying as necessary.  This would give me a prototypical tender pairing for a pre-war Collett Goods.  Trouble is, I don't need one for Devon!

Certainly the Bachmann motor on its Collett Goods sits too high for me to motorise anything I might be interested in. Bit of a waste.  

Edit: Bad grammar!

Edited by Edwardian

Yep, thanks, that's the one; the Collett 3,500 gallon tender with the all-round fender.  Now, imagine it coupled to a Hall!  Furthermore, it ought to be lined and crested, which would make a nice feature; I don't recall having seen this tender-type treated thus on a model.

Pre-war modellers really need to put the old Churchward style (or, maybe, a GC-style ex-ROD, as was common on Aberdares by the mid-thirties) on these Collett Goods.  Although these tenders were around in the '30s (I think it's a 1929 design), I don't think the Collett Goods were paired with them before the war. 

During 1935 there were 3 or 4 Collett Goods (a small class at this date compared with the extant Dean standard Goods) at Taunton.  I wonder if I could find an excuse to send one West, replacing a failed engine or even on a passenger service, the Plymouth-Taunton stopper?  I very much doubt there would be any excuse sufficiently plausible!  I'd love to be proved wrong.

I have seen a 7200 pictured at Newton Abbot shed in the Thirties.  That was good enough for me; if one could get as far as Newton, I could certainly apply license to send it a little further west! 

Edit;  Back to Halls - "The tender looks a bit small for such a big loco?"  Oh, I don't know, it's just a Saint with smaller wheels and a different cab after all:

PS, the Collett 3,500, as posted by Coachman, is Lot A118 of 1929-30, numbers 2242-68, so quite limited in numbers.  I'm not aware of any further lots to this design. 

post-25673-0-29433500-1438611349_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

And for those of you following my holiday arrangements (note I did not say 'plans') we will not now be passing through Brent on the train or indeed going anywhere in Devon or Cornwall by train as our joining arrangements have been altered again.  That makes the third alteration - which was far from unexpected as far as I'm concerned as I have been keeping a careful eye on both the ship and the weather; and yet again changes our port of embarkation.  

Thus having already left behind (first alteration) a trip over GER metals we shall now be leaving GWR metals at Basingstoke and heading down the L&SWR to Weymouth however I doubt we shall see any spamcans or other tinned comestibles.  And before you question my choice of route I'll just say that I don't fancy sitting on an overcrowded dmu for an hour from Castle Cary to Weymouth.  I suppose I should look on the bright side that we are at least avoiding a trip on the catamaran from Weymouth to the Channel Islands but we will at least be departing from Weymouth Quay (but not the ferry berth).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On a more serious note, it's a bit of a walk from the station to the quay now the train doesn't go all the way although the rails are still extant.There was a rather nice tall ship there when we visited last week.

• RMweb Gold

There was a rather nice tall ship there when we visited last week.

Are you sure that's not the 48 gun frigate HMS Arkwright (The Hon. A. Cuthbertson, Capt.)? If so, beware, there's a press gang working the quays, forcing the unsuspecting and unwary to purchase over-priced copies of The Sun.

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure that's not the 48 gun frigate HMS Arkwright (The Hon. A. Cuthbertson, Capt.)? If so, beware, there's a press gang working the quays, forcing the unsuspecting and unwary to purchase over-priced copies of The Sun.

Ah yes! The press gang.........

• RMweb Premium

Not knowing about chimney pots on Halls or other brassy beasts, was there a difference in pots as I seem to like what appears to be a shorter and slightly larger diameter version? 6990 in the pic seems to have the taller/slimmer version.

Quackers. 

• RMweb Gold

Not knowing about chimney pots on Halls or other brassy beasts, was there a difference in pots as I seem to like what appears to be a shorter and slightly larger diameter version? 6990 in the pic seems to have the taller/slimmer version.

Quackers.

There's a rather nice colour album in the Working Steam(Ian Allan) series from Roy Hobbs on the Halls.It has quite a few examples in it.

ISBN 0711029032

Edited by gwrrob