RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Look at 6990 and 6960 in the previous pics...that's what I was on about re smoke/steam exhaust pipes. I know nuffink really but my eye is caught sometimes by small detail like this, as it was in Jerry's photo  and I'm still trying to regain my focus.

Oh yes, can you lot please stop posting pics of really good looking Halls as it is making me think Laira and environs and that would fit in the loft a lot more easily than Sea..... that place that shall not be mentioned on here. :beee:

Q

• Like 1

Completed watching a 1958 'Railway Roundabout' this morning over me cornies and the final scene was Brent! Small Prairies were shooting off to Kingsbridge calling at Gara Bridge with 5-compartment 'B' sets, one in carmine and 'tother in maroon. Narration makes me chuckle at the mention of "hauling a standard GWR 'B' set".  So all B-sets look alike too apparently. The colour cine film was slightly over exposed, nonetheless, the brown station parts came out as dark brown and the 'cream' as ivory.....Just as I remember it on the Cambrian coast system.

The rest of the programme was mostly about that conjugated little railway at Kings X, Thornaby and West Highland, but some relief came from good footage of a 1925-built Compound working from Evesham and the restoration of 1000. Oh yeh, and the Scottish preserved quartet ably assisted by City of Truro. The latter was interesting in that it was two years younger than the Compound and yet was withdrawn in the mid 1930s while the Compounds as a class lasted till 1960 or thereabouts. This of course reflects the way the GWR replaced its locos with like for like or even better locos while 'tother lot were in a rut running old tat.... haha. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ummmmmmm, I'm weak already. 7903 ('tall' chimney), completeley 'edible' looking like that.

However, can someone please tell the bloke in 4965 (Stubby chimney... :sarcastichand: ) to wear proper head gear. What he is wearing is not good, even if he is only a visitor to the footplate. The Fireman is very well turned out.

Also, I think the shed staff should get some Klear sorted; all the loco's are far too shiny :onthequiet: .

Quackers.

• RMweb Premium

Completed watching a 1958 'Railway Roundabout' this morning over me cornies and the final scene was Brent! Small Prairies were shooting off to Kingsbridge calling at Gara Bridge with 5-compartment 'B' sets, one in carmine and 'tother in maroon. Narration makes me chuckle at the mention of "hauling a standard GWR 'B' set".  So all B-sets look alike too apparently. The colour cine film was slightly over exposed, nonetheless, the brown station parts came out as dark brown and the 'cream' as ivory.....Just as I remember it on the Cambrian coast system.

The rest of the programme was mostly about that conjugated little railway at Kings X, Thornaby and West Highland, but some relief came from good footage of a 1925-built Compound working from Evesham and the restoration of 1000. Oh yeh, and the Scottish preserved quartet ably assisted by City of Truro. The latter was interesting in that it was two years younger than the Compound and yet was withdrawn in the mid 1930s while the Compounds as a class lasted till 1960 or thereabouts. This of course reflects the way the GWR replaced its locos with like for like or even better locos while 'tother lot were in a rut running old tat.... haha. 

Bl**dy good watches those Coach. If you watch loads of times you begin to notice all sorts of very interesting stuff in the background(s).

Brilliant for scenic details as well.

Q

• RMweb Gold

Look at 6990 and 6960 in the previous pics...that's what I was on about re smoke/steam exhaust pipes. I know nuffink really but my eye is caught sometimes by small detail like this, as it was in Jerry's photo  and I'm still trying to regain my focus.

Oh yes, can you lot please stop posting pics of really good looking Halls as it is making me think Laira and environs and that would fit in the loft a lot more easily than Sea..... that place that shall not be mentioned on here. :beee:

Q

This is of course the real answer - swop Mutley Tunnel for Honiton Tunnel and you're almost there, 'Castles', 'Halls', even 'Kings', spamcans, other Souther things, and even 9Fs and a 'Duchess' if you bend your time frame very slightly.  Perhaps I should have kept quiet?

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Happy days indeed.That B set is in one of Peter Grays albums and Gara Bridge was a delightful looking station.

Would be nice to track down that film - lots of interesting details are no doubt captured, even if the coaches and buildings are in the wrong colours(!)

I know the B-Sets for Kingsbridge for the Thirties.  The kits are unobtainable due to what I reasonably believe is a CONSPIRACY on the part of SOUTHERN ENTHUSIASTS.  Mind you, they are "sitting on" Tim Dubya's Ironclads, too. 

Mallard, you are gentleman.  I do have a VHS player, as it happens, whether it still works is another matter....!

In this modern age, sometimes whilst contemplating life in the shaving mirror, I wonder "am I too an obsolete format ...?"

• RMweb Premium

Mallard, you are gentleman.  I do have a VHS player, as it happens, whether it still works is another matter....!

In this modern age, sometimes whilst contemplating life in the shaving mirror, I wonder "am I too an obsolete format ...?"

PM me matey.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I've got a set of Roundabouts but on Video I'm afraid. If you still have a Vid Player then you's be welcome to borrow it.

Q

No 1 son is obsessed with Steam videos. Due to a spate of him re-winding videos over & over, to watch the same section again and again, we decided to copy all of the VHS to DVD. A local chap was happy to do this for a £1 a go, but told us the Railway Roundabout DVDs were available online for about £8 for the box set (which we bought).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Roundabout-The-Complete-Collection/dp/B00DV0R1BC- £11.99

• Like 2

Found my videos in a shop £3.50 a shot, but since them all on DVD's. One did not transfer well as there was a buzzing on the soundtrack, which I presume was a deliberate spoiler .

Creeping technology is a pest at times though. I had to have my cine transferred to video and later on DVD! I used Video 8, super-VHS and finally Hi8 when filming in the 80's and 90's and I cannot access the tapes today. Okay, it is possible to buy a s/h camera for playback but one day I will have them all transferred to DVD or whatever new techno is extant at that time.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Would be nice to track down that film - lots of interesting details are no doubt captured, even if the coaches and buildings are in the wrong colours(!)

I know the B-Sets for Kingsbridge for the Thirties.  The kits are unobtainable due to what I reasonably believe is a CONSPIRACY on the part of SOUTHERN ENTHUSIASTS.  Mind you, they are "sitting on" Tim Dubya's Ironclads, too. 

Those kits pop up quite frequently on eBay. I've got a whole stack of them including a set of 70 footers that the late Ken Northwood commissioned Iain Rice to build, but which were never started.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A lot less glamorous I'm afraid and it's a Bachmann plywood vent van.The shopkeeper assured me it was suitable for post war.It will run with my NE ones.

post-126-0-34529100-1438699832.jpeg

• Like 8