RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Morning everyone - and back to a proper engine on a sad occasion (taken from my original Kodachrome transparency).  The smiling face leaning from the footplate is then WR Inspector Jack Hancock, he was later our Traincrew Supt at Reading and I inherited one of his boiler suits which I still have somewhere - once upon a time it was far too big for me, I suspect that if I were to try it on now it might be a bit on the small side    :O

post-6859-0-61809200-1440066160_thumb.jpg

And now an odd coincidence - here is the original pic that forms my avatar (taken by the late Tom Clift) of me riding on the same engine in 1987 (and, underneath my aged anorak and orange jacket, I was wearing that boiler suit)

post-6859-0-98581800-1440066303_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Looks like one of those King-things. Who would have thought back in the days of Acdo and open-platform buses that a 'King' would be pottering along a preserved branchline or that the 14XX 0-4-2T darling of early preservation days would be too small today to haul many of today's trains.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You very lucky bu**er..............................

P

You might not have said that if you knew the full story - when we (me and a another chap) took over the engine on Gloucester depot the previous night as the nightwatchmen/prep crew we were waiting for the boilersmith to arrive from Brum as there were several tubes weeping at the firebox end.  So we started the night chucking out virtually all of the fire so that Dave the boilersmith could go into the firebox and deal with the tube ends.  I think he finished about 04.00 or later and we were due off shed about 4-5 hours later and in that time we had to build a fire from nothing, but fortunately on a hot engine with some steam on the clock, take water (not difficult), trim the tender and do the rest of the oiling round.  So we raised steam rather quickly (but fortunately no more weeping tubes as a  result) and would have been off shed late if I hadn't moved the engine up to the shed signal to save time and the BR crew got on there.  

After all that it was nice to enjoy a good run up the Golden Valley albeit not as fast as it's first run back in 1985 when it had beaten the HST point-to-point times up the bank and run Kemble to Swindon in even time (start to pass Loco Yard).

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Still lucky bu88er.............when one is younger, all that far1ing about doing that sort of thing is nothing really. Hard yes, enjoyable maybe, end result....brilliant.

Only ever worked steam in Poland so I don't know what this real work was/is like, but I have some idea when I see the state of 'support crews' at Retford. 

Someone needs to really sort out the coal being used for Kings on the mainline. They need really good stuff, not c**p from abroad. Must be a nightrmare for the fireman.

P

Around about a week ago Mr.Duck (Mallard60022) asked about minimum radius and for my part I gave poor advice (as it turns out today). Another 'Hall' arrived an hour ago and I sent it round the layout on test but it stopped outside on the setrack. I anticipated it would be the close Tender coupling but the leading bogie wheels were in conflict with the cylinders. I didn't bother testing my other two 'Halls' seeing as it was important to 'sort' the job out. I took out the settrack and curved a yard of Peco Code 100 around it as if it were the outside track although it was given a rather generous '6 foot'. Then a Code 100 curved point replaced the straight point and the track was relaid using Peco 75/100 convertors. The new radius is something like 33"radius and the 'Hall' ran without a hitch. 

• RMweb Gold

Morning everyone - and back to a proper engine on a sad occasion (taken from my original Kodachrome transparency).  The smiling face leaning from the footplate is then WR Inspector Jack Hancock, he was later our Traincrew Supt at Reading and I inherited one of his boiler suits which I still have somewhere - once upon a time it was far too big for me, I suspect that if I were to try it on now it might be a bit on the small side    :O

attachicon.gif7029 last WR special 1967 m.jpg

Just look at the blatant trespass on British Railways infrastructure in that first photo. I thought the 1960s were full of jobsworths, such as Commissionaires, so where are they when you need to tell some poor, innocent enthusiast off in no uncertain terms?

• RMweb Gold

As we're looking at Castle class locomotives, here's a contribution from me, taken on the special run over the OWW line and on to Paddington, in September 2011.

Water stop at Oxford:

post-57-0-45552600-1440085647_thumb.jpg

The (steam) ride of my life! (Oxford to Paddington).

post-57-0-63613000-1440085670_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

I don't like that cab ride in a Castle picture........................................................................................................................................................................I love it!

Hell it must have been great working on GW locomotives with a view down the boiler and over the gleaming brasswork like that. I could post a view on an Austerity 2-8-0 but I won't. A different world! 

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Just look at the blatant trespass on British Railways infrastructure in that first photo. I thought the 1960s were full of jobsworths, such as Commissionaires, so where are they when you need to tell some poor, innocent enthusiast off in no uncertain terms?

Quite right - even the lad who took the picture was off the bottom of the platform ramp :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Quite right - even the lad who took the picture was off the bottom of the platform ramp :laugh:

My old man got told off by a young lad for going down the ramp at Arley.He muttered something like doing it 40 years before he was born.

• Like 2

As we're looking at Castle class locomotives, here's a contribution from me, taken on the special run over the OWW line and on to Paddington, in September 2011.

Water stop at Oxford:

attachicon.gifIMG_2181.JPG

The (steam) ride of my life! (Oxford to Paddington).

attachicon.gifIMG_2217.JPG

You lucky b....r Tim!  One of my greatest ambitions is to have a footplate ride on a Castle on the mainline - likely to remain unfullfilled I fear!

Gerry

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Coach. Pity that happened for you. Useful info for others though.

Oh yes, merry tea time.... P4 modellers look away now

post-2326-0-81681000-1440092957_thumb.jpg  

As you will want to model all that inside a shed you build.

Would you?

Ducky

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75-the-farthing-layouts/

I bet long time follower of this thread, Mikkel would.

To each their own I say. If I ever build a shed or station building I shall employ that fine craftsperson Stubby to complete the internals; he loves toilets you know and is actually a very smart modeller of mobile homes in varying conditions. However, to prevent any envy I shall buy Spams a pasty. He's damn fine at such stuff too but not in a businessy sort of way.

Q

• Like 3

Or, Mallard, have a real MRJ moment and ensure there is a working model of those scales ...

Mind you, the guy in the foreground is a little too dynamic; a far too transient pose, suggestive of the possibility of movement, and that would never do.