RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I'm feeling the need to invest in another castle to re number as 5071 to complement my 34066!

Yes, A Spitfire, Hurricane or Beaufort would do me.All at NA in '47.

• Like 3

Going back to Dean goods engines, about 1946/7 or so I was at the school playing fields, literally at Tavy Junction supposedly engaged in some sports.  The trains were of more interest to me and one time a Dean goods did appear in mid afternoon and after school there was a mad rush to Laira shed to check it out.  It didn't stay very long and no one knew much about it; somebody mentioned a fish train but it was the only one I ever saw so it definitely passed through Brent.

Brian.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh really? Sigh! Why do we have to put up with this anti-imperialist pro-revisionist anti-tobacconist New Age pre-enlightenment post-sensationalist version of an ultimately re-imagined history of the Battle of Britain?

Everyone knows that it's 'daka daka daka', not 'taka taka taka'. It's an understandable mistake, though, as the latter sound is frequently confused with the sound of tap-dancing Quinoan ice cream sellers, who were visiting the south of England in 1940.

Sorry old bean, I do appreciate your concern, however 'daka, daka, daka' was the sound the Squadron Leader made when he was  up the 34065 or 6s ar$e, pretending to be Heir Hunn in a Measureshit 109. Taka, taka, taka, taka is the genuine sound of twin Brownings in select, 3 second burst mode.   

Herman the German (sse what I did there?)

• RMweb Premium

Going back to Dean goods engines, about 1946/7 or so I was at the school playing fields, literally at Tavy Junction supposedly engaged in some sports.  The trains were of more interest to me and one time a Dean goods did appear in mid afternoon and after school there was a mad rush to Laira shed to check it out.  It didn't stay very long and no one knew much about it; somebody mentioned a fish train but it was the only one I ever saw so it definitely passed through Brent.

Brian.

'The Fish' often produced 'unusual' engines at Laira. The only Deans I saw was on the Swindon Scrap Line; must have been 1960 I think. Shame.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I always think there's a certain irony that one of the least well equipped types to defend us has ended up as the preserved one. Great name, useful first time they met the Luftwaffe but pretty much a death trap for the crews after that

David

Just looked up the names chosen by the GWR and find it strange that they picked some fairly poor designs and missed out on the Mosquito, Lancaster and Typhoon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just looked up the names chosen by the GWR and find it strange that they picked some fairly poor designs and missed out on the Mosquito, Lancaster and Typhoon.

Those aircraft weren't introduced at the time of the 1941 renames, I think.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

The renamings were all done immediately post the Battle of Britain between November 1940 and January 1941. As such, those other late war successful types were not in frontline service and had barely flown never mind permeating public consciousness( I think the Lancaster first flew in Jan '41). What's more surprising is that no locos were renamed post war. However, even then, Bomber a Command never achieved the public appeal Fighter Command had in 1940. For example Dowding got a peerage whereas Harris never did

David.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The renamings were all done immediately post the Battle of Britain between November 1940 and January 1941. As such, those other late war successful types were not in frontline service and had barely flown never mind permeating public consciousness( I think the Lancaster first flew in Jan '41). What's more surprising is that no locos were renamed post war. However, even then, Bomber a Command never achieved the public appeal Fighter Command had in 1940. For example Dowding got a peerage whereas Harris never did

David.

Just been looking at the various dates myself and agree that at 40/41 there wasn't much else around for the Western to name locos after. Surprised they didn't do further renaming later in the war though to wave the home flag for our best heavy bomber, best fighter bomber and best tank buster. By that time there can't have been many Fairly Battles flying in combat (if any) and their name on a loco was surely an embarrassing reminder of an outclassed aeroplane.

It is I agree a disgrace that, until very recently, the bomber crews that nightly risked their lives were largely ignored. There's no denying that the results of the area bombing on places like Hamburg were appalling but ignoring those ordered into harms way is poor.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

An authentic castle name for this thread could have been the Whitley bomber which like ANTB was made in Coventry and now the site of Jaguar / Land Rover cars.

Just been looking at the various dates myself and agree that at 40/41 there wasn't much else around for the Western to name locos after. Surprised they didn't do further renaming later in the war though to wave the home flag for our best heavy bomber, best fighter bomber and best tank buster. By that time there can't have been many Fairly Battles flying in combat (if any) and their name on a loco was surely an embarrassing reminder of an outclassed aeroplane.

It is I agree a disgrace that, until very recently, the bomber crews that nightly risked their lives were largely ignored. There's no denying that the results of the area bombing on places like Hamburg were appalling but ignoring those ordered into harms way is poor.

Given the bomber war was largely operated out of east anglia, the GW management may have considered it "out of area." I think, by way of comparison, that few of the castles, halls etc were named out of area. Re Fairey Battles and Blenheims, there were some suicidally brave crews in the Battle of France, eg Garland / Gray's bombing of a bridge in Belgium. Quite right to honour and remember.

(Apols for the off topic nature!)

• RMweb Premium

As regards Castle names, my favourite was The Gloucestershire Regiment. I think it possibly had the largest nameplate on a WR locomotive. 

P

IKB is a fairly long Castle plate - could be a challenger for that accolade.