Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I've marked the positions of the quarter mile posts (give or take a few feet) on Dr G-F's masterpiece:

brent map.jpg

Some hopefully correct simple maths : 3/4 of a mile is 3,960 feet. 4mm scale 1:76, so 3960/76 is 52.1 feet approx.

Conclusion: It would just about fit in two tandem garages, whilst leaving just enough room to store the lawnmower and couple of cycles, but to do full justice to the sweeping curves etc. a disused T.A. Drill Hall might be a better bet.

Unless anybody knows better.

One useful feature on google maps is the ability to draw a line and for them to tell you the length.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, Rob.  Was that Coastal Command?

No, something to do with trying to shoot the Luftwaffe down from the ground. Not Anti Aircraft Command though which is a pity with what Graham's doing for us.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If anyone is going to use this plan, beware of the dates. The Eastern approach track layout altered considerably during WWII as did the signal positions and complexity. At the western approach the up siding became an up loop.

Mike Wiltshire

The Up Refuge Siding was converted to a loop in 1933,  the Down Refuge Siding was converted to a loop in 1937 and a  new locking frame was provided at the same time.  The only wartime alteration, in 1943, was to provide a direct lead off the Down Loop to the  Branch Platform and to alter the Down Loop to passenger status.  The only significant signal alteration in connection with the 1943 alteration was the conversion of the Down Main/Down Loop Inner Home Signals to a bracketed structure with stencil route indicator for the latter.

A number of signal positions altered slightly - by a few yards - over the years but the principle changes were the removal of the Inner Distant Signals (probably 1937), the provision of new splitting Home Signals on the Mains in connection with the provision of the loops, removal of the Shunt Ahead subsidiaries on the Section Signals (probably 1937) and updating a couple of arms reading into the yard at the time of signal renewal (probably post war without delving for pictures to confirm).

• RMweb Gold

I have recently found out my grandfather was in the R.A.F and stationed at Plymouth during the war.Today I acquired two of his service medals, photos anon.

Any information on these would be most appreciated.

post-126-0-17748600-1455452774.jpg

post-126-0-91713600-1455452794.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

How apt to have a service man on the up platform. Seeing that roofboard reminds me to see what options there are for the new Hornby offering.

post-126-0-14599300-1455455409_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 18

Nice stuff again Rob, I'm making good use of what little signal I'm getting currently as the BT lines have been down for over a week and not looking promising until 24th ! So will catch up on ANTB as and when until then.

Keep it up mate !

• RMweb Gold

Well they do say a pannier rarely offends.

attachicon.gifDSCN7712.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7713.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7715.jpg

I would go so far as to say that the only offensive pannier I've ever come across was called Tarquin, and he was a blaggard and a habitual drunk. Even then, his top feed was virtually faultless.

• RMweb Gold
I would go so far as to say that the only offensive pannier I've ever come across was called Tarquin, and he was a blaggard and a habitual drunk. Even then, his top feed was virtually faultless.[/quote

I have to say 3796 is running like a bag of spanners due to dirty track and a noisy mechanism. Here's a couple more shots.It certainly isn't as sweet running as Nick Wood's on Much Murkle.

post-126-0-31645800-1455470030_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-87738000-1455470048_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-07162300-1455470069_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

I would go so far as to say that the only offensive pannier I've ever come across was called Tarquin, and he was a blaggard and a habitual drunk. Even then, his top feed was virtually faultless.[/quote

I have to say 3796 is running like a bag of spanners due to dirty track and a noisy mechanism. Here's a couple more shots.It certainly isn't as sweet running as Nick Wood's on Much Murkle.

attachicon.gifDSCN7716.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7717.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7717(1)bw.jpg

The Newton Abbott coach superintendent has certainly dropped a clanger with that set - no 1st class accommodation. Perhaps he graduated from the same class as his Marlingford & Begbrooke peer?

;)

CoY

• RMweb Gold

The Newton Abbott coach superintendent has certainly dropped a clanger with that set - no 1st class accommodation. Perhaps he graduated from the same class as his Marlingford & Begbrooke peer?

;)

CoY

He's patiently waiting for a E127 which has four compartments for first class customers.

Something like this in chocolate and cream would be nice.

post-126-0-52361900-1455478294_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 15

The Up Refuge Siding was converted to a loop in 1933,  the Down Refuge Siding was converted to a loop in 1937 and a  new locking frame was provided at the same time.  The only wartime alteration, in 1943, was to provide a direct lead off the Down Loop to the  Branch Platform and to alter the Down Loop to passenger status.  The only significant signal alteration in connection with the 1943 alteration was the conversion of the Down Main/Down Loop Inner Home Signals to a bracketed structure with stencil route indicator for the latter.

A number of signal positions altered slightly - by a few yards - over the years but the principle changes were the removal of the Inner Distant Signals (probably 1937), the provision of new splitting Home Signals on the Mains in connection with the provision of the loops, removal of the Shunt Ahead subsidiaries on the Section Signals (probably 1937) and updating a couple of arms reading into the yard at the time of signal renewal (probably post war without delving for pictures to confirm).

Before the Up siding was looped, it was very long; I suppose the idea was that a whole (goods)train could be backed in out of the way of a faster follower. So was the other point eventually added to facilitate this manoeuvre? Or is that all wrong? I'm not up on the finer points of railway workings!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Before the Up siding was looped, it was very long; I suppose the idea was that a whole (goods)train could be backed in out of the way of a faster follower. So was the other point eventually added to facilitate this manoeuvre? Or is that all wrong? I'm not up on the finer points of railway workings!Brian.

Generally yes, Brian. It makes the looping of the goods train quicker.

• RMweb Gold

Given how long it must have taken to back the goods into the siding, it must have been a tight decision whether to carry on to the next loop or risk holding up the train behind with the reversal manoeuvre.

;)

CoY

It's a short scratch set for the Ivybridge and Cornwood Sunday Schools' outing thrown together at very short notice and pulled by a pannier in poor mechanical condition.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Given how long it must have taken to back the goods into the siding, it must have been a tight decision whether to carry on to the next loop or risk holding up the train behind with the reversal manoeuvre.

It was something that was commonly done on many parts of the network at one time, but there was clearly a need on some main lines, as traffic got busier, to facilitate the quicker recessing of such trains. On a well-maintained railway, there is no reason why a freight train cannot be reversed/propelled back into a refuge siding, but it is something that we modellers don't always like to do on our layouts.

I've frequently watched long trains of bogie coal wagons being propelled back into Stoke Gifford Down Yard (adjacent to Bristol Parkway station). The movement is perfectly straightforward, but as a modeller I stand there thinking 'I'm not sure I'd want to do that on my train set!' 

In operational terms, however, once you start propelling a long train like that, with the movements controlled only by (probably) one man on the ground, maybe with indifferent visibility to the driver, the level of risk is bound to increase somewhat, as compared to simply running into a goods loop next to the main line. I do think, though, that operations staff back then would have been very much 'on the ball' as regards (i) the length of their respective refuge sidings and (ii) checking the length of any goods trains that needed to recess in them. This is probably one area where liaison with the Divisional Control might well have come into play in those days, to ensure that the length of the goods train to be recessed matched the length of the Refuge Siding.

Edited by Captain Kernow

I would go so far as to say that the only offensive pannier I've ever come across was called Tarquin, and he was a blaggard and a habitual drunk. Even then, his top feed was virtually faultless.

With a name like Tarquin I would bet that he was not a Tyseley pannier!