Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif20050608 001 ex-GWR dia H33 RC W9578W.jpg

attachicon.gif20050608 003 ex-GWR dia H33 RC W9578W.jpg

Here it is - Comet sides, cast ends (ABS? Can't remember), scratchbuilt underframe using PCB and brass angle, various castings and etchings, Dapol bogies and Gibson wheels.

One of the grab handles has broken off and I know the gas cylinders should be longitudinal not transverse but I only found that out after the model was finished. As the Duck would say, I CBA to change them now.

In my experience the Cylinders would often be altered after a works visit...........................................(yup, CBA :mosking: )

Ar$e

P.S. Very smart build      and you painted it....................xlnt.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

My only comment about the above chat is that i think the wheels on the Colletts look a tad 'big'. Could be complete bo11ocks but maybe changing them down to proper job 14mm ones might make a bit of difference? (I think the Hornby ones are a 'large' 14.5mm?)

Phil

• RMweb Premium

In my experience the Cylinders would often be altered after a works visit...........................................(yup, CBA :mosking: )

Ar$e

P.S. Very smart build      and you painted it....................xlnt.

P

Thanks Phil. Yes, car aerosols for the body (Peugeot Regency Red and Ford Sahara Beige). The roof was brush painted, with Railmatch roof blue/grey if I recall correctly. The whole thing was finished with Letracote 103 matt spray (that should give a clue as to how long ago it was built).

• RMweb Gold

Good masking, patience, and lots of thin coats.   I think because of the base cost (and hence the need to avoid doing a total paint strip following disasters) , I would even go as far as roughing up the roof with a Scotchbrite pad, follow by a wipe with some IPA on kitchen roll to stop dust and "fisheye".

Would you give the roof a coat of Halfords grey primer before the top coat ?

My personal preference is to use Halfords grey primer as base colour for carriage and wagon roofs. Then to apply washes of darker grey and blacks, with some weathering powders, until the required level of filth is achieved. 

I find this method helps to stop them all looking too uniform.

• RMweb Gold

Do your Colletts sit much higher than the Sunshine coaches Rob? I think they are prototypically supposed to, however mine are at least 4-5mm taller! IIRC, the Bachmann wheels used on the sunshine coaches are an unusually small diameter, so this may account for some of the height difference. Has anyone else come across this? I've plenty of Hornby metal wheelsets in stock, so swapping them about shouldn't be an issue. 

CoY

I've put a 1mm washer between bogie and underframe on the Sunshine coaches with Bachmann wheels on all the stock and they lined up perfectly with the old Hornby Colletts I've not matched them against the new ones yet as there is no access to my layout at the moment I would imagine the new and the old ride at the same height. 

• RMweb Premium

Would you give the roof a coat of Halfords grey primer before the top coat ?

Not in this case Robin,  Grey primer is a bit thick, so you will start to lose detail.  In this case I will use both Humbrol rattle can "Tank Grey" and Railmatch rattle can "Dirty Roof" (I think it's called).  And before either goes near the model, a tiny blast into clear air to clear out the tubes in the can/nozzle.  Never had a "blobby clog-up" yet.

I won't use plastic primer either because the paint will etch into the Hornby paint anyway because the Hornby paint isn't that old yet.

Hence why a few light misty coats - lets the first one or two "bond" and soak into the tiny grooves made by the abrasive Scotchbrite, an then subsequent coats of paint bod themselves to the first two.

I use IPA to wipe down after scouring and before paint.  Or even automotive panel wipe if there is some in the workshop.  Silicon make "fish eyes" in paint jobs, which needs a total strip back to remove.  Silicon comes from cosmetic products such as hair conditioner and hand creams, as well as WD40 ( despite what it says on the tin).  (WD40 is banned in any good car body/spray shop for that reason).  If someone has handled your model in inspection, or at the model shop, there is a fair chance that there is silicon on it somewhere.

Better safe than sorry at £35-£40 a pop.

Right - midnight for me.  "Boing" said Zebedee..........   Thanks for the inspiring and morale boosting photos.  Much appreciated.

What we want from Barwell tomorrow:

- Retooled Manor

- Retooled Mogul

- Retooled Sunshine Stock

- Retooled Toad brakevan 

What we will get:

- Reissue of more GWR Shunter's Trucks

- Reissue of 5 plank and 7 plank wagons in small GW-lettered branding (if we're lucky)

CoY

Sadly i reckon 2018 before a retooled manor or mogul actually hits the shelves... Suspect we're more likely to see a dukedog in a different livery. If they're being creative possibly a duke. On the coach front, I'd hope for something from an earlier date though again I'm not optimistic about it actually materialising any time soon.

David

• RMweb Gold

No problem Colin as I haven't bought that version in that livery.Nice aren't they.

They are indeed Rob, although to be honest the lovely wife took one look and said "oh, blood and custard coaches, you needed some more of those didn't you?"

A comedian i saw last night explained the difference between wives and prostitutes. One is contract, the other is pay as you go.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They are indeed Rob, although to be honest the lovely wife took one look and said "oh, blood and custard coaches, you needed some more of those didn't you?"

A comedian i saw last night explained the difference between wives and prostitutes. One is contract, the other is pay as you go.

My lovely swmbo wanted to know why I needed both liveries.

• RMweb Gold

A scrumptious Manor indeed.Come on Bachmann, make it a Delia effect day tomorrow.

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-27974800-1435949708_thumb.jpeg

Cross fingers and find lucky rabbits foot!   ;)

Also the trajectory of Uranus and Mars are in alignment for a positive announcement from Barwell for GWR modellers..

.........Then again! :D

Edited by 46444