A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Can I see your lineside pass please.

I hope you were dressed in all-over orange, had steel toecapped safety boots on, a hard hat, goggles, ear defenders and a face mask, together with a certificate to prove entitlement!

• RMweb Gold

I hope you were dressed in all-over orange, had steel toecapped safety boots on, a hard hat, goggles, ear defenders and a face mask, together with a certificate to prove entitlement!

No need for all that nonsense back then - but he would have to have been a gentleman living at a respectable address (and probably wearing a top hat)

• Like 2

:offtopic:

No need for all that nonsense back then - but he would have to have been a gentleman living at a respectable address (and probably wearing a top hat)

A bloody nuisance, but even mandatory for me as an archaeologist

post-13158-0-88457000-1457901420_thumb.jpg

(Sorry, ditched the hardhat for the moment. Stupid things tend to fall off when your digging and trying to see what you've uncovered.)

post-13158-0-47899900-1457901723_thumb.jpg

but my colleague is wearing his!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another archaeologist, well well! I'm now retired. Our hi-vis was mainly yellow but we got orange for a couple of jobs on railway land. Summer wear was often just the vest; trying to work in a lined waterproof got a bit warm. I'm the overweight bloke with the 'tache in the middle. The only other working archaeologist in the shot is the guy kneeling. Note the clean, crisp vests worn by the developers' office wallahs and our own heritage manager, or whatever his job title was that year.

post-4634-0-11688100-1457913825_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic:

A bloody nuisance, but even mandatory for me as an archaeologist

attachicon.gifHighVis 01.jpg

(Sorry, ditched the hardhat for the moment. Stupid things tend to fall off when your digging and trying to see what you've uncovered.)

attachicon.gifHighVis 02.jpg

but my colleague is wearing his!

Can't dig it there,

Dig it elsewhere.

You're digging it round,

and it oughta be square..........

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Now your fully protected,

Now your own sences are not receiving any warnings of approaching dangers.

But at least I feel so utterly and completely safe.

I wonder if the time will come when everyone out on the track ends up dressed like orange spacemen, with full helmets, radio communications, oxygen tanks etc.?

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

But at least I feel so utterly and completely safe.

I wonder if the time will come when everyone out on the track ends up dressed like orange spacemen, with full helmets, radio communications, oxygen tanks etc.?

Only if Nettywork Biodegradable Rail get the Mars HS1 Contract.

Ar$e

Another archaeologist, well well! I'm now retired. Our hi-vis was mainly yellow but we got orange for a couple of jobs on railway land. Summer wear was often just the vest; trying to work in a lined waterproof got a bit warm. I'm the overweight bloke with the 'tache in the middle. The only other working archaeologist in the shot is the guy kneeling. Note the clean, crisp vests worn by the developers' office wallahs and our own heritage manager, or whatever his job title was that year.

attachicon.gifBarges 4.JPG

Nice.  Does look you found something interesting. Guessing from the photo, it's title and , some googling these are the two wooden barges found in 2009 near Woolston on the Thornycroft site?

• RMweb Premium

Nice.  Does look you found something interesting. Guessing from the photo, it's title and , some googling these are the two wooden barges found in 2009 near Woolston on the Thornycroft site?

They are indeed. The left hand vessel was originally a ketch, probably of local construction (a Cowes or Solent ketch), probably downgraded to a barge. The other was a swim-ended barge. The site was only accessible for a few hours either side of low tide. At high tide it was under water and odd loose bits of the boats floated away.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Quick question,

When was the east bridge replaced with the straight one that is in place today?

Definitely post war and maybe early 50s.I never found out for sure and went ahead with the easier build of the two for the bridge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Due to an absence on here, due to visiting 101 not out and the Basingstoke show over the weekend, can we back track a little to the mink D and say that the louvres shoulld have adjustable shutters, from full open too full closed, I think they were adjustabe in quaters, but don't hold me to it.

Definitely post war and maybe early 50s.I never found out for sure and went ahead with the easier build of the two for the bridge.

Next time I look at the drawings I will check the date. I have some copies of some pictures taken by Mike Longridge which show the new bridge in its final stages of construction. Shows people walking along the top with no safety equipment whatsoever and the line was clearly open to traffic. There is some stock in the background which suggests early post war.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes - as per PM but as I said I think they might still have been green back then.

Here's a '60s view with two cabinets in place one with a chequered logo, what was that for Mike ?

post-126-0-52418800-1457981524_thumb.jpeg

The East end scene,

post-126-0-91981200-1457981641_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

Due to an absence on here, due to visiting 101 not out and the Basingstoke show over the weekend, can we back track a little to the mink D and say that the louvres shoulld have adjustable shutters, from full open too full closed, I think they were adjustabe in quaters, but don't hold me to it.

Damn, seems I may have to attempt scratchbuilding then, as I didn't see anything like that while going through Grandpa's model railway collection and there was nothing like it on the Mink D itself. Although it's not surprising seeing as everything (00, TT and 0 Gauges) were spread between an old barn, cow shed and the main house. One of the most irritating things was we found etched name plates, wheels and tender axleboxes for an 0 Gauge Lord of the Isles, but nothing else!

Stuart