A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I am repeatedly told by Mrs Stationmaster that her dad used to drive double-decker 'buses down lanes like that.

I too have driven buses down roads like that and it's a right pain when you meet a few mums on the school run with Chelsea tractors that seem too have had reverse gear not fitted at build. Still it gives one the chance to read the paper while they sort themselves out.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

After years of waiting the airman moves up the platform and places his bag on the bench whence Zach Plunkett sits.

As luck (!) would have it 5077 passes.

post-126-0-32798600-1469367937_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

TOUGHEST STONE ON RECORD- the wagon says: is that Keith Richard on board? he seems to be in the right skin.....

Very nicely weathered by 46444 of this parish.

post-126-0-90975600-1469380406_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

They look like they have chairs on mate.

I would imagine (others will correct me if im wrong) that if these have been lifted they would either be recycled to a branch line somewhere or go back to PW depot to have the chairs removed for future use.. Didn't new track go out in pre-assembled panels for laying?

Edited by colin penfold

After looking at these pictures, no model station real or imagined, should be without a footbridge as they add so much to the overall effect.  If there was none then see how much the real Buckfastleigh was improved  with adding one to the overall scene.  It certainly adds to Brent (the model).

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Very nicely weathered by 46444 of this parish.

attachicon.gifDSCN9011.jpg

Thanks Robin,

I'd forgotten about that Scatter Rock wagon. Must say the rhino is good advertising for the company! ;)

At present my computer is in for repair but when it comes back I'll post some pictures on my blog of 6 POW Sides Teign Valley Granite wagons I've built and weathered.

Also of interest will be a completed 7427 and 5993 Kirby Hall! :D

Some lovely snaps from Brent and the footbridge looks fab.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A nice pile of sleepers, would they have chairs on or be just plain.

attachicon.gifSleeper pile..jpg

Would you like me to make you a nice pile of wooden sleepers with chairs? Proper job wood (EMSociety) with plassi chairs but maybe not GWR chairs as I don't know if I have those.

Otherwise get your wooden stir sticks from a well known Coffee House and some plassi chairs and do it yerself in an hour.

Alternatively I have some old Pecobooby C100 and you can have the sleepers off one of those.

Ballasticducky.

• RMweb Premium

Before the eleven plus, it was called the Oxford School Certificate, although I don't know what Oxford contributed to it.  Sounds classier though!

Sorry to come back to this, but wasn't the School Certificate what became O Levels, and now GCSE?

My 11 plus was in 1971, the last year of old money.

• RMweb Gold

A nice pile of sleepers, would they have chairs on or be just plain.

attachicon.gifSleeper pile..jpg

Usually chaired in such situations - either new ones for spot resleepering or old ones taken out after spot resleepering (or a mix of both - in separate stacks).  New ones would be nice and black with freshly cooked-in creosote, old ones would be mucky and grey with ofdd cracks etc.  They would - if delivered in quantity possibly arrive from Hayes in a sleeper wagon but more common for them to come from a local depot in some other sort of PWay wagon.  

You might find some old ones with the chairs taken off if they were being sold locally on a Firewood Ticket - amazing how prices have changed for those as when I started a sleeper for firewood was sold for 2/6d - probably cheaper in the late 1940s?

As far as I know GWR/WR pre-assembled track for relaying came in during the 1950s, they definitely don't appear in some 1940s running line relaying pictures.

• Like 1

Sorry to come back to this, but wasn't the School Certificate what became O Levels, and now GCSE?

My 11 plus was in 1971, the last year of old money.

The CSE and O-levels existed at the same time; the CSE was issued in Secondary Modern schools, and the O-level in Grammar Schools. There was a degree of cross-over, as the top grade in CSE was treated as an O-level pass. I was doing my O-levels as you were doing your 11-plus.

There were various Examination Boards, linked with different universities; these included Oxford, Cambridge, London, along with the Welsh Joint. 

• Like 1